Author Topic: What are your thoughts on the new Dark Shadows movie?  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
What are your thoughts on the new Dark Shadows movie?
« on: August 15, 2010, 03:00:46 AM »
Okay, so vampires are really hot right now--have been for at least a year or two with Twilight and The Vampire Diaries. Who knows how long this craze will last?
This is the perfect time for the new Dark Shadows movie, but as far as I know there is no premiere date as it is only in pre-production. Have they started filming yet? I haven't heard of any other actors cast besides Johnny Depp. So it looks like the movie won't come out until 2011 or maybe 2012.
I'm interested in reading what everyone's thoughts are on the new Dark Shadows movie.
Here are mine:
I'm worried the vampire craze will die down by the time the movie premieres.
I'm wondering if a lot of young moviegoers will think it is a Twilight-rip-off (even though we all know DS came first)..
Will the movie be aimed at young viewers or older audiences? The reason why I say this is because Johnny Depp isn't exactly a young Robert Pattison-type. Also, the original DS audience-the ones who used to run home from school--must be in their late fifties/early sixties now.
Do you think the movie will become as big as Twilight?
The best thing is that Tim Burton will direct or produce it (not sure) so it will have a big budget and look fabulous.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on the new Dark Shadows movie?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »
I don't think it will ever happen.  They've been going back and forth with this for how long now. But then I'm cynical.

Gerard

David

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:15:50 AM »
I agree with Gerard. It's taking too long.
At least we're getting the audio dramas.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 05:08:39 AM »
I also feel that this film willnever happen.The sad thing also, is that it seems to be holding back the dvd, and possible blu ray release of House and Night of DarkShadows.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:12:57 AM »
While I am anticipating a new movie, I'm more excited about the audio dramas. These feature the original cast and are more important to me than any new remake. I am intrigued at the prospect of Depp as Barnabas, but I'm not going to be terribly disappointed if it doesn't happen.I have a feeling we'll hear about it being in production soon if it's going to become  reality at all.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 05:43:40 AM »
Honestly, now that I own the Revival soundtrack, I am pretty much good.  The main reason I wanted a new DS was to hear Bob Cobert's music brought to the modern day - the main theme, Josette's Music box, etc. 

If they do make the movie and I get new arrangements of those tunes, then I will be golden.  But, if they make the movie and leave out that important Cobert music, you can count me out.  It won't be DS without, at the very least, Cobert's big three themes.  I have noticed Burton tends to let Elfman do his own thing with the music.  If this is the case with DS and there is no Cobert used, then I'd rather not see it. 

It's funny how a little thing like the music can be the determinant as to whether I want a new film or not, but it's that simple for me.  So long as I can recognize the characters, the setting, and the music, I will be good.  If I can't do that, then we're in trouble.

David

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 05:51:58 AM »
Sad but true: no matter what we do, DS will never be on a level playing field with Star Trek, but there are enough of us to keep it alive. The original series needs to get back on the air in order to bring new fans in.

Sy Fy is out.
Maybe Chiller or Encore Mysteries?
Or back to PBS?

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 04:42:50 AM »
i agree it NEEDS to be on tv again. & Soapnet is really over in a year or two so even if they obtained the show it wouldn't be long term. but i think Chiller would be the best bet. since they air the (1991) version every once in awhile. anyways,

you know for me, music wise, i hope Bob Coberts music is used, but if Danny Elfman did his own version of it. & stayed true to the original & didn't change it too much. than it wouldn't matter to me. cause Danny Elfman is by FAR my favorite Composer

ever since he did the Edward Scissorhands film way back in (1990) yes i realize he also did scores for Burton before that. but i 1st heard of Danny Elfman when Edward Scissorhands came out in (1990)  so that's why i chose that particular film.

his music has this gothic tone to it normally. that's why i love his music. & if they can't use the original music than i thin

"Nightmare Before X-mas" is EXCELLENT!  so in short it i can't wait to hear what music is chosen. if & when the film DOES indeed get made. it's  funny how i haven't really put to much thought who i'd want for other roles in the film. but my dream is to have as MUCH of the original cast in good roles as they can get. for those who want to go back doing "Dark

Shadows" even if a LOT of them aren't doing the audio drama's. all i really ask is if they stay true to the story & don't change it too much. that's pretty much all i want. & get a good cast as well. so in short i don't ask for too much. he he

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:47 PM »
I have complete faith in Johnny Depp and Tim Burton!  Do you guys realize the nature of Hollywood is delays?  If it's not out till 2013 I am fine with it.  This isn't an easy show to adapt and do something original with.  I am glad that Johnny and Tim are taking there time to get the script right.  I have no doubt DS will come out in the next three years and I don't think vampires ever go out of style. JMHO!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
i agree, i also hope we get a reboot of the show again. but with a better script & a director who cares about the project & doesn't treat it like it was forced onto him. & i'd also love to see some of the original appear in it as well. oh i'm sure i've said this before. but a guy can dream can't he? [ghost_tongue2]

David

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 04:27:38 AM »
Producer Richard Zanuck has publicly verified that DS will be Burton's next film, so we're good.
RE: the original: I wonder if ION TV would consider it?
All they air are reruns & infomoercials. They're struggling to find an audience. Maybe a show with a strong following would help them--and us!

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 05:23:24 AM »
if you go onto IMDB they give you a link to some dude's site that airs the show 24/7 or so the poster who posted the link says. which got me thinking that it'd be pretty sweet if we got a channel that aired NOTHING BUT DS! all the time 24/7 they'd have everything DS. films, both series. plus the unaired pilot if they are able to get it. that'd be cool wouldn't it?