Author Topic: Favorite Magda Scenes  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Favorite Magda Scenes
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:32:22 AM »
Hey fans!  Let's spread the Grayson love around even a little more and talk about our favorite Magda scenes.  A couple that spring to mind:

(1) Jamison comes to the Old House and Magda tells him to go, she needs to get on with the housekeeping and something Barnabas has introduced her to--floorwax!

(2) Magda tells off Gregory Trask in words of one syllable and practically spits in his face.

(3)  After Sandor's death, Magda, in a dramatic black veil, takes an axe and chops the hand of Count Petofi in two.

There's more, so much more, but I'll see whether other fans chime in before continuing.

cheers, Gothique
Member of Grayson's Legion since June 1968!

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Magda Scenes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »
One of my favorites is after Sandor's death, when she asks Barnabas to bite her, just as he bit Sandor, so she will know how Sandor felt. You can feel the pain and grief that Magda is feeling over the loss of her Sandor.

Great topic, Gothick! [ghost_smiley]
Life works if you let it

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:34:35 AM »
(1) Jamison comes to the Old House and Magda tells him to go, she needs to get on with the housekeeping and something Barnabas has introduced her to--floorwax!

That scene is absolutely priceless and, not surprisingly since our GMTA, it's also one of my favorites, as is:

(2) Magda tells off Gregory Trask in words of one syllable and practically spits in his face.

Another fave - and one that shows up in the Robservations Slideshow:

1969: Ep #790 - Magda tells Trask she knows he is a 'swine'
because of what he's been doing, particularly to Judith.

One of my favorites is after Sandor's death, when she asks Barnabas to bite her, just as he bit Sandor, so she will know how Sandor felt. You can feel the pain and grief that Magda is feeling over the loss of her Sandor.

I love that as well - and it's also a part of the Robs Slideshow:

1969: Ep #798 - Magda asks Barnabas to bite her so that
she will know how Sandor felt during the last months of
his life.

I have many other favorites but will also wait to see whether other fans post about them...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »
I just watched the scene of her grieving and asking Barnabas to bite her and he says he will not harm her but they will grieve together.  Wonderful scene!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:31 AM »
Agreed.  That scene is one of the best of the entire series.  It showed that in the end, Barnabas and Magda respected each other.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »
Yes. The Magda/Barnabas "we will grieve together" scene is probably the most touching scene they ever had.

I also adored the "floorwax" comment. I doubt if Barnabas even knew what floorwax was. lol

One of the best qualities about Magda was her dry wit.

I loved how some of the barbs she would toss at Barnabas seemed to go completely over his head.

"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:19 AM »
Magda is one of my favorite DS characters, probably third behind Angelique and Julia.
She was witty, sharp and flamboyant, I'm glad 1897 lasted so long so that we got so much Magda.
The scenes already mentioned are all great.
I am fond of the horror she experiences at learning that she has cursed Jenny's children. A pivotal Magda moment.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:56 AM »
I especially like the one where Barnabas is giving her orders; Magda bows and says, "Yes, Your Majesty".
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 01:42:54 AM »
What I remember as my favorites are a) when Tim Shaw comes to buy deadly nightshade from her, supposedly to turn lead into gold; a flimsy premise that she quickly destroys with her wit, and b) when she first arrives at the old house with the hand; her banter with Barnabas is especailly hilarious, but gets to the point that none of us know what she is really lying about; a great performance.  
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:53 AM »
I don't remember any of the specifics, but I love the scene in which Magda shows up somewhere to help another character and dismisses that character's impatience and panic by saying, "Magda always gets there when she's needed," in a deliciously matter-of-fact way.  Grayson conveys quite well Magda's confidence in her ability to manage a situation and her frustration with people who still haven't figured this out about her.  You really get the sense that she's had this conversation many times before.

Of course, all Magda scenes are fun because the character is so different from Julia and because of Grayson's commitment to the character.  She's clearly having fun with the role, and her enjoyment is shared by the viewers. 

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »
The 1897 Storyline is when Dark Shadows reached its Zenith.  So popular was Magda, Quentin and Count Petofi, to name a few of the memorable characters, that Dan Curtis extended the storyline 3 months longer than originally planned.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
I especially like the one where Barnabas is giving her orders; Magda bows and says, "Yes, Your Majesty".

Lol.  That's another good one. I wish Julia had been allowed to exhibit a sense of humor like that. Throughout the 1897 story, it's plain to see how much fun Grayson was having with Magda.
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »
There are so many great Magda scenes - and the series of episodes where Jenny dies and Magda vows to curse Quentin are some of her finest.
The one that comes to mind is after Edward has told Magda and Sandor how Jenny supposedly died, and that in fact, she has already been buried. Later, a seething Magda & Sandor come back to Collinwood to retrieve Jenny's belongings, as Magda dryly quips to Edward, "Or have you buried those too?!!"  I always let out a chuckle when I hear that line.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »
I absolutely love when Magda is running from the hand of Petofi after she throws it in the fire. HYSTERICAL! It's so funny how Grayson runs. It's cute. I always get a kick out of that scene!

I also love at the beginning of 1897 when Magda is talking with Beth and she says something like, "But these, these are very old cards...but you wouldn't know anything about that now would you?" And the she lets out a big cackle and Beth storms off!  Great scene in my opinion!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
Julia
Lol.  That's another good one. I wish Julia had been allowed to exhibit a sense of humor like that. Throughout the 1897 story, it's plain to see how much fun Grayson was having with Magda.

Julia did have a few quips that I fondly recall..her inquiry on the new "Divine" antiques shop with Carolyn during Leviathan and was it the Adam storyline where she asks if she should just make herself available all night for Barnabas?  [noted recently on another topic list.]
Julia99