Author Topic: DS associate producer George DiCenzo dies  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
DS associate producer George DiCenzo dies
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:40:12 AM »
Shadowgram just sent out an email that Mr DiCenzo has died at the age of 70.  I'm having trouble cutting and posting SG here so hopefully someone else can do that for me.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: DS associate producer George DiCenzo dies
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:15:21 PM »
From ShadowGram:
*** GEORGE DiCENZO DIES AT AGE 70

SG just received the sad word that George, age 70, passed away today, Aug. 9, in Middletown Township, PA.

His 30+-year career spanned film, TV, stage, comemrcial, and voiceover credits. Born in New Haven, CT, he graduated from NY's Union College and the Yale Drama School. He joined us at an early Newark DS Festival and at the 1990 Fest. He was a delight both times I worked with him at the Fests and in our subsequent corespondence.

George was in 30+ films including "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," "Back to the Future," and "Helter-Skelter" as Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor in the Charles Manson mass murder trial. He guested in TV shows such as "Murder, She Wrote" and "NYPD Blue." In the 1990s, he starred in 2 TV series: "Equal Justice" and "Joe's Life," and appeared on Broadway in "On Borrowed Time." He recently played baseball commissioner A. Bartlett Giamatti in the ESPN made-for-TV movie "Hustle," and guested on "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" ((See SG print issues at these times.)) His voice also can be heard on many commercials, books on tape, and cartoon series "BlackStar" and "She-Ra: Princess of Power."

George was an acting teacher in NYC and Philadelphia for several years. He also frequently privately coached students and actors appearing on the NY stage. Burt Reynolds, on an episode of "Inside the Actor's Studio," referred to George as "the best acting teacher in America."

George Ralph DiCenzo is survived by his wife of 11 years, Donna Artz-DiCenzo; his son George DiCenzo Riedel and his wife Suzanne; his sister Margherita Jelinek; and 3 grandchildren, Megan, Sarah and Madison Riedel.

Fan who wish to honor his memory may do so by contributing to A Women's Place, P.O. Box 299, Doylestown, PA 18901.

SG thanks George's longtime friend Kathryn Leigh Scott for her kind help in announcing this sad loss. The next SG #119 print issue will salute George with more biographical details, pictures, and other information.

Please share with SG any media obituaries, tributes, or other articles. Send all materials to SG's addresses later in this Update. Thank you.
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
Rest in peace, George.  My condolences to his wife and family.

G.

David

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 02:26:26 AM »
Didn't he act for Dan Curtis in Winds of War?

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 05:08:31 AM »
I'm so saddened by this news.  [ghost_sad]  I'd always hoped to meet Mr. DiCenzo at a Fest.  I enjoyed his performance in Helter Skelter and "She-Ra" was a childhood favorite show. 

R.I.P.

ProfStokes

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:06 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about this.  My condolences to his family.  I thought he looked a bit ill on his interviews on the new DVDS I received but I am just speculating and I wanna be clear about that.  I have no idea if he was or not.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: TV's Love of the Vampire Bloodlust article
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:54:17 AM »
My Deepest Sympathy goes out to his family, friends and all of Dark Shadows Nation for this Sad Loss. [ghost_sad]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
So sad to hear this.  Many years ago I remember seeing his name in the credits of Dark Shadows and then seeing his name again on the She-Ra cartoon (he was the voice of the snorting, villainous Hordak) and wondering if that was the same person.  He had a long and distinguished career.  My condolences to his loved ones.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
George Di Cenzo
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:00:31 AM »
I just read that George Di Cenzo died on August 9,2010.  Best known for playing Vincent Bugliosi in Helter Skelter.  (if you know the case, you know the creepiness of the date he died).

Good actor.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 02:07:18 AM »
i saw this last nite i think? that he passed away & i'm sorry to hear that. i'm so glad there's still a LOT of the cast/crew etc.. still with though.  [ghost_grin]

Offline quentin-channing

• Junior Poster
  • Where's my milk? Oops, wrong show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 02:22:20 AM »
Deepest sympathies for his family and the DS cast and crew who knew him well.   [ghost_sad]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:15 AM »
I had the pleasure of interviewing him via phone around the time of the Movie Book, and he as a down to earth fellow.  He and KLS were very close, as I recall.  It's a very sad loss.

He was brilliant as Bugliosi in Helter Skelter and terrific in The Ninth Configuration. He's also the leader of the underground Seattle tour in The Night Strangler.

BTW he was Curtis's assistant on House of DS, and is in the movie at least 3 times.  He's the cop Barnabas grapples with/strangles who is guarding Maggie, he plays Barnabas in the wide shot where Barnabas stands on the hill overlooking Collinwood and approaches the house, and he plays Jeff Clark in a similar shot where Jeff approaches the St. Eustace Monastery near the end of the film.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 05:11:33 AM »
Being killed by Barnabas - Great!  [thumb]

Doubling Barnabas - Great!  [thumb]

Doubling Jeff - Who the hell did he royally piss off that day?!  [eek]

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
Being killed by Barnabas - Great!  [thumb]

Doubling Barnabas - Great!  [thumb]

Doubling Jeff - Who the hell did he royally piss off that day?!  [eek]

It's like the legend of Disney execs allegedly being forced to wear the "Goofy" costume. [ghost_tongue2]
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO