Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #221 -- Festival Report  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #221 -- Festival Report
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:25:06 AM »
SHADOWGRAM
The Official Dark Shadows News Updates Yahoo Group
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Updates

An Official Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM -
The Official "Dark Shadows" Published Newsletters

Posted through the ShadowGram YahooGroup address: http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/ShadowGram/

ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 221. August 2, 2010

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news in this Online News Update "bulletin."

--- REPORT on the July 16-18
DS FESTIVAL SHADOWS IN THE SUN DS CAST REUNION / FAN CONVENTION

*** REPORTING: SHADOWS IN THE SUN: 2010 DARK SHADOWS CONVENTION
Burbank Airport Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Burbank (Los Angeles/Hollywood), CA
July 16-18

NOTE: Photos and more details will be in SG #119, the next published ShadowGram Newsletter.

The convention drew over 1,000 DS fans of all ages from across the country, Canada, and England, plus 14 actors and production personnel from the original daytime series.

Appearing in person: Jonathan Frid, David Selby, Lara Parker, John Karlen, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Jerry Lacy, Marie Wallace, Kathleen Cody, James Storm, Lisa Richards, Roger Davis, Chris Pennock, Robert Cobert, and Sy Tomashoff.

Festivities began Friday afternoon, July 16, with a special matinee screening of the 1970 feature film "House Of DS" (HODS) at the historic Vista Theatre in the nearby Los Feliz area.

In a brief ceremony before the screening, Jonathan Frid (HODS star) placed his handprint in a slab of wet cement in the Vista`s outside forecourt. Then the standing-room-only audience of 400+ entered the theatre for the movie.

The Vista (opened in 1923) was the location for 3 previous DS celebrations: the 40th anniversaries of HODS (2000) and "Night of DS" (2001), and the DS 40th Anniversary Halloween Party (2006). On those occasions, a number of Jonathan's DS colleagues also had put their hand/foot prints and signatures in cement across the theatre's open forecourt.

Friday at 6pm, Fest activities began at the Marriott Convention Center. The Marketplace area offered countless DS (and other) items including photos, books, MPI's merchandise, the Big Finish audiodramas, the new figures, ShadowGram issues, DS magnets, keychains, jewelry, collectibles, and much more. Most of the DS guests were at their own tables during the weekend to meet the fans. Two tables held Jonathan's personal items for silent auction bids: newspaper interviews, program books, performance posters, and more. Fans with the winning bids had a special opportunity Sun. evening to have the items autographed, greet, and take a picture with Jonathan.

Friday's onstage highlights were a trio of DS Recollections with, respectively, Kathryn and Marie; Kathleen and Jerry; and Lara and John. Each pair reviewed vintage DS clips and answered audience questions, followed by autographs.

Saturday, July 17, featured onstage appearances by scenic designer Sy and music composer Robert, who also autographed the brand-new CD release of his 1991 DS primetime TV series soundtrack music. John, Kathryn, and biographer R. J. Jamison presented a moving video tribute to the late Grayson Hall's career and reminisced about her days on DS. David spoke about the start of his television career on DS. He also discussed the show's historical context, connecting to the social and political changes taking place in the late 1960s and early `70s, as featured in his new book, "My Shadowed Past".

Jonathan then came onstage to offer a selection of 10 favorite clips from DS, as voted by fans online via his official website. He examined and observed the characters and each scene's relevance to the development of Barnabas' persona.

Jonathan was joined onstage with his acting colleagues for one of the most powerful cast reunions in the 27-year history of the DS Festivals. The stars answered fan questions, reminisced, and talked about their careers and projects. Soon after, the traditional for-fun Fan Costume/Presentation Gala saw 20+ participants step onstage to share their creative interpretations of DS characters, costumes, and more.

All work done by the Fest staff is volunteer and fans are invited by Volunteer Coordinator Nina Johnson to volunteer their time during the weekend to help in various ways. Later Saturday evening about 2 dozen staff members and volunteers joined Lara, John, Kathryn, Kathleen, and Marie for a special private "thank-you" party.

Sunday brought special live performances: Chris read from his new comic book, then Jim played guitar and entertained everybody with his country western-themed songs. Next David and Lisa presented a dramatic scene from "Summer and Smoke." Jonathan then returned to the stage and gave a strong reading of a scene from Shakespeare's "Richard III." The final event was the closing banquet dinner, enjoyed by approximately 500 fans. Participating onstage were Kathleen, Roger, and Lisa.

As a Fest staff member myself, I thank everyone who was involved: Our DS guests and their companions, my fellow staff members, the volunteers, and you, the fans of all ages, who joined us for a few hours-a day-2 days-the entire weekend. Special thanks to Lance and the Vista staff as well as the welcoming, attentive, and cooperative hotel personnel with whom I worked before, during, and after the Fest.

*** SG NOTE: As of this time, we have not yet set specific plans for the next Fest. I will premiere-announce details as we confirm them in these SG Updates to the SG Yahoogroup. I also will expand on the brief Updates in upcoming published SG newsletters.

Marcy Robin

ShadowGram1@yahoo.com

www.ShadowGram.com

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #221 -- Festival Report
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
Hi  Midnite thanks for the update  wish i  could of been there maybe someday.
                                   Love   Anne [ghost_smiley]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline KajunDC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:28:18 PM »
I saw a couple of Youtube videos of Frid putting his hand in the cement.  He seemed less than pleased with the whole undertaking.  I actually felt bad for the guy who seemed to be in charge with the way Frid snapped his head off - metaphorically speaking, of course.  [ghost_cheesy] 
"Where were you when I was turned into something even my own father loathed..."

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »
Presumably Marcy meant to write THIRTIETH anniversary screenings of hoDS and NoDS in 2000/1?

I don't think I've seen any other references to James Storm's appearance.  It's too bad more fans haven't written in to share their impressions of the Festival.

Makes more all the more grateful for how hard Midnite has worked to give us her own reporting of the events she attended!

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »
Many thanks, Gothick.  How sweet of you.

"House Of DS" (HODS) at the historic Vista Theatre in the nearby Los Feliz area.
While killing time, a few of us debated if we were in Silverlake or E. Hollywood, but it wasn't Los Feliz.  The Los Feliz Theatre to the north of the Vista isn't even in Los Feliz. [smlyb]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 01:52:57 AM »
It's too bad more fans haven't written in to share their impressions of the Festival.

Makes more all the more grateful for how hard Midnite has worked to give us her own reporting of the events she attended!

Amen to that!  [clap]

I was actually wondering why there doesn't seem much feedback on the fest this year. Were there simply fewer forum members present or was it just a case of sparse exciting details to share?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:35:13 AM »
That could be but also remember not everyone who attended is online to the extent they are on DS message boards and groups.   [ghost_smiley]

I was actually wondering why there doesn't seem much feedback on the fest this year. Were there simply fewer forum members present or was it just a case of sparse exciting details to share?