Author Topic: #0337/0338: Robservations 01/31/02: Kevorkian Dave Woodard  (Read 1670 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0337/0338: Robservations 01/31/02: Kevorkian Dave Woodard
« on: January 30, 2002, 04:56:20 PM »
337 - (Joan Bennett) - Another night has come, and we at Collinwood go on fearing for the state of mind of young David Collins. He has told us the terrifying secrets he knows, and we have not believed him. But there is someone who does believe him, and before this night is over, that someone will be a step closer to the truth, and thus a step closer to the valley of death.

In the opener, Liz says Dr. Woodard is getting closer to the truth--and to the valley of death. The man is a suicidal idiot for doing what he did in today's episode; what was he thinking? Reminds me of Dr. Guthrie and Laura's confrontation, and we know what fate befell him!

The Eagle Hill caretaker has also been replaced in his role thanks to that damn strike, and the marvelous, creepy voice is gone. So we had two new characters of lesser ability speaking to each other as Dr. Woodard sought out the caretaker to help him gather some info from the books he has in his archives, specifically Joshua Collins' journal and the curse he mentions. The caretaker pulls things together, Woodard hanging anxiously over his shoulder.

Barnabas, leaving Collinwood after checking to see how David is doing, meets Roger, who tells him he's found a wonderful place in Boston to send David. Barnabas grins happily after Roger goes into the house.

The caretaker tells Woodard about Sarah succumbing to the fever, the same fever her brother, Barnabas, came down with, but he survived it and went to England. No, insists, Woodard, Barnabas never went to England.
The book reveals that Joshua had the mausoleum built the day Barnabas supposedly left for England. Woodard says he's sure Barn stayed in Collinsport.

Liz tells Roger there is no way they're sending David to the military school he found in Boston (frankly, I think it's a great idea). David needs hard reality and discipline, rages Roger, and Liz asks him if David is embarrassing him. It's a low blow, they both know it, and Liz apologizes. She knows Roger is concerned, but she refuses to go look at the school. Roger finally reminds her that HE is David's father and can do whatever he wants with his son,
but Liz implies that if David goes, she won't be happy, and it's unspoken that she just might send him packing, too. Roger insists that he's keeping David's application on file. Woodard, harried, shows up and asks to see David. Liz goes upstairs to get him while Woodard gazes raptly at Barn's portrait. The eyes do follow you, says Woodard, how do painters DO that?

Woodard tells Roger he doesn't believe David is hallucinating, as Fisher says. Roger thinks David needs playmates. Liz comes in and takes Roger away so Woodard can talk to David alone. The latter is very relieved when Woodard tells him he believes everything he's said--he saw Sarah, too!.
He knows Barnabas sealed the room so they couldn't get in there, but he can't just come forward with what he knows thus far; he must investigate more. David asks the doctor if he thinks Barnabas is dead; Woodard says he doesn't know for sure, but whatever he is, it scares him. He believes Barnabas is the reason for the secret room and that coffin WAS his, but he tells David that this talk must be their secret.

He can't wait for Burke to return, he feels time isn't on his side in this matter. David promises to keep mum and asks Woodard to be careful. He will, Dave assures him.

Well, Woodard is a liar. He chose to walk right into the lion's den with a sign around his neck saying, "I'm your next meal!", and I can't help but wonder if the other Dave Woodard would even have done this, written into the script or not.

Barnabas is lighting candles (oh those mundane tasks now that Willie is gone) when Woodard stops by. He starts his own suicide by telling Barnabas that he doesn't think David is having "lurid aberrations", as Barn calls them. Barnabas finds this astonishing for a man of science to say..
Dr. Fisher believes David fears Barnabas, but WHY? asks Woodard. Because you look so much like the original Barnabas? What could be so frightening to David about the original? Are there SKELETONS in the closet? Barnabas rises from his seat (and his voice is terrifying, believe me) and tells Woodard he's sick and tired of being the brunt of these investigations, of being thus slapped over and over again. There is a long pause before Woodard rises and says, "I saw your sister Sarah tonight." Barnabas seems to falter for a moment before regaining his composure, but he reminds Woodard he HAS no sister--and he thinks Woodard is the one suffering from aberrations! "Or did she say 'ancestor'?" queries Woodard with a gleam in his eye. Barnabas, a murderous expression on his face, suggests the doctor has overstayed his welcome. "Good night, Barnabas," says Woodard, and leaves.

NOTES: Good night to YOU, Dr. Woodard, says I. Sweet dreams. Hope heaven is better to you than you've been to yourself! Is he his own Dr. Kevorkian or what?

Frid's performance in the last scene of this episode was OUTRAGEOUS!

338 - (Alexandra Moltke) - We lived through another night at Collinwood, unaware that a man will die before the break of dawn--a man who will soon learn the evil secret that exists in the Old House on the Collinwood estate.

In this episode, Julia as much as admits she has special feelings for Barnabas, but he couldn't care less; as usual, his concerns are his existence, etc. She comes across as truly vulnerable, fearful for both of them, but Barnabas tromps cruelly on her feelings.

The previous Barnabas/Dave scene with a too-long pause was repeated today and was much better. Julia finds Dave leaving the Old House after Barnabas kicked him out. "Idle curiosity" brought him there, he explains, and wonders why she is there. She finds Barnabas interesting and perceptive she says. Dave is definitely behaving oddly, and after Julia enters the Old House, he eavesdrops on them from the front window. Barnabas tells Julia Woodard is too close to the truth, but she assures him he has nothing but vague suspicions and Barn is worried about nothing. Barnabas says his existence isn't nothing to him, and Julia assures him his existence is important to her, too. Woodard knows Julia is a doctor and must have some medical interest, Barnabas points out, then orders Julia to think more like a doctor and less like a woman (ouch!) He insists she destroy the notes she's been keeping of the experiment, but she refuses; besides, they're safely locked in a strongbox in her room.
Barnabas tells her that Woodard made reference to "your sister, Sarah," and he was forced to deny her. "Poor Barnabas," says Julia, touching his shoulder. He stands and apologizes to Sarah for denying her, admitting Sarah is his sister and very dear to him.

Now that Woodard knows absolutely everything, he is ready to go get those notes!

Burke comes to Collinwood only to tell Vicki he's leaving again, for South America (let's have a funeral dirge here). They disagree about setting a wedding date, and Liz overhears Vicki giving Burke the old "David needs me" spiel. She offers them the West Wing of the house to live in so they can get married right away.
That way, Vicki can be close to David, marry Burke, yet still have privacy. Vicki is thrilled, ready to accept immediately, but Burke is far less enthused. Liz suggests they think about it. Vicki doesn't understand Burke's suspicion or hesitation. He doesn't like the idea of his wife being on call 24 hours a day for David, hell, he wants Vicki on call 24 hours for HIM!
Burke also fears that the Collins' unfortunate past will prove unfortunate for them, too, but Vicki chides her practical fiance for his foreboding. They kiss, with little passion, as usual, and he tells her how much he loves her laugh.

Barnabas, citing the seriousness of the situation, wants Julia to go to Woodard and find out just how much he knows. He says she once told him Woodard was the most brilliant student in his and Julia's medical class, but Barn says Woodard was the SECOND best, clearly indicating Julia was first. Julia says it was tougher for her, being a woman, and Barn says being a woman can be a mixed blessing can't it? Having just been charmed to the nth degree, Julia leaves to perform her task, grinning like a woman in love.

Julia sits with Dave in his office and expresses her concern for him. Tell her about Sarah, she coaxes. Dave tells her he thinks she's right--he's been investing far too much time in Sarah. Dave wants to know what Julia is doing with Barnabas, and shows her a strange list of medical supplies he knows she ordered. Something about that list disturbs him, Dave says. Well, then, why didn't he ask her about it, she asks, clearly uncomfortable. She then goes on to say she's been making a fool of herself--she's emotionally involved with Barnabas. For once, she feels as a woman does, not a doctor.
And how does Barnabas feel? Asks Woodard. He views her as a woman, too. And have they been playing doctor? prods Woodard. She hesitates, explaining the answer to that is very personal. She suggests he back off, stop asking questions, before it's too late--for him.

NOTES: Good stuff here all around. Julia's feelings rose strongly to the surface, but Barnabas is still charming her like a snake, using her emotions against her.

As for Dave, well, I'm just glad the other guy isn't still playing the role. I really liked him, and what's going to happen would have REALLY upset me.

Love, Robin

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/31/02 - #337/338 - Kevorkian Dave Woodard
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:38:03 PM »
My sincere apologies, cousins, I accidentally posted my previous comments on this episode thread, when it should have been on the "337 discussion" thread. .  :-[ :-[
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 1/31/02 - #337/338 - Kevorkian Dave Woodard
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »
No problem.  :)