Author Topic: The non-lookalikes on DS  (Read 3853 times)

David

Re: The non-lookalikes on DS
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
Justin Collins should have been played by Louis Edmonds.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
ITA having a Collins patriarch not played by LE seemed wrong. I'm assuming he didn't play Justin because of scheduling conflicts. Also seems weird that there was no David child role, but I think I've heard that the actor had left the show after 1840.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »
I always wished there'd been some mention between Barnabas and Julia of who it was Julia resembled as Barnabas was very fond of Natalie and said so more than once IIRC.  Okay he bites her on a return visit to 1795 (before or after Ben strangles her during another "return to 1795".. so confusing)

And Julia never made one quip about being called Countess more than once....she's quipping everywhere else post-1795.
Julia99

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »
It might be that she suddenly became unavailable after that episode; it's just really strange that they introduce her and then she is 100% absent during the important story arch from the time before...

I would honestly have to look up exactly when it took place, but I do know that around that time Nancy Barrett and David Ford were getting divorced. Considering that David Ford was highly used during the whole Barnabas, Josette, Jeremiah triangle period, it might have simply been easier on Nancy Barrett and David Ford not to both be working on the show at the same time. If you notice, once David Ford's Andre disappears from the scene, Nancy Barrett's Millicent comes back on the scene...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »
I was thinking sort of along the same lines, MB, except that they got married that year instead of divorced.  However, it depends on which of Ford's bios you choose to go with, because Craig's site states they married in 1968 and Stuart's says 1967.  But it's the consensus that the marriage only lasted 2 years.

I'm not aware that Nancy appeared on stage during the 1795/6 story, though her resume has always been a little murky.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 08:33:24 PM »
Hmmm - interesting. And to further blur the issue, back in the day I bought a Daytime TV '68 yearbook and I could swear that it said they were divorced in '68. Though I honestly don't recall if it actually listed the month the divorce occurred...

But who knows? Perhaps they were simply having problems in their marriage, they preferred not to be working on the show at the same time, and the show accommodated them.  [idontknow]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 08:53:18 PM »
Wow, that's interesting.

I think your suggestion sounds plausible, MB.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
i have always found the timing of this little domestic drama to be rather perplexing.

much has been made that after this marriage went south nancy barrett and david ford had to be kept separated on the set and that their characters could not be written into episodes together.

however if they met on the set in 1966 and ford was gone from the series by mid-1968 i wonder when all of this went down? do we know if any of this necessitated ford's departure? if the two actors simply could not work together and the producers had to make a choice barrett's character was the considerably more important.

[ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 01:21:14 AM »
After the two revisits to 1795 I am confused by Natalie's fate. I'm pretty sure Ben killed her after Josette's death, as at that point she was on her way back to Martinique so no one at Collinsport would miss her, although you'd think at some point Andre would come looking for her.
But then the Leviathon's meddling causes a new death scenerio for Josette, I wonder if Natalie was able to avoid death in that new timeline, assuming that the new timeline sticks. I'm not really a big fan of the last 1795 do over, it feels like it weakens the power of the original story. I did enjoy the second 1795 quick revisit, as it onl made slight changes to the original, unlike t the major changes the Leviathon story did, and I didn't like the changes that did happen. Josette commiting suicide over thinking she had been jilted makes her less sympathetic to me anyway. Her original death was iffy whether she killed herself or fell accidently, either way she died struggling against becoming a vampire, giving her a noble death that made the character deeper and more interesting, to me anyway.
I wonder how the new movie will do any look alikes, if the movie or any sequels do flashbacks. I figure that Vicky will also be Josette instead of Maggie, as in the 1991 series.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 01:05:01 AM »
Yes, the arrival/departure dates of Andre and Millicent do seem to line up (and neither of them were terribly accounted for in the story, so it seems plausible it was part of the actors domestic dispute.)  That is interesting, and not something I had thought of. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »
It's interesting how many times the things that were going on in real life dictated how things were done on the show.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 02:08:02 AM »
With regard to Vickie and her constantly mistaking 1795 characters for her present day friends, Matthew is the one that's the least surprising. Think about it. He kidnapped her and terrorized her for days (weeks?).  Seeing Ben probably triggered a flashback. It's the fact that she continued this with everyone that made her seem a bit thick, I think.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
A friend came through tonight and brought me pain relief, so that's why I can go back on the computer.   See, I'm not such a negative guy, world...

It just occurred to me that seeing one anaccountable double would be disorienting, but two, four, a dozen perhaps...  as the doubles mount up, Victoria has to feel she's in a more colorful sort of Twilight Zone.   The more doubles, the harder it was to keep her trap shut about them, possibly.

qc... Who's Justin Collins?   An unused character like Oscar?   What time are we talking about?  ITA?   Am I confused just because the analgesic hasn't fully kicked in yet?   (It's getting there though... ah!)   I've been watching the first DS episodes for the first time (thanks, other mysterious benefactor), and Roger sure isn't any patriarch here, not a responsible one anyway.   Liz paid him to stay away for ten years!   I'll never see Rog the same way again.   Anyway, seeing a continuous string of LE patriarchs would have been mind-numbing to me.   They should all have gotten to play more varied characters.  Just my opinion.

I sense I may be half-babbling because the pain ebbing is a thing of great import to me, and I may even get a bit giddy soon.   See, I'm talking funny, there's evidence of this already...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 02:48:08 AM »
Justin Collins was played by David Hurst. You may remember him as Ambassador Hodin in the HORRIBLE Star Trek ep "The Mark of Gideon". Hodin was the ambassador who refused to let the Enterprise send a search party to find Kirk. He was being held on a replica of the Enterprise that was so perfect it fooled him!!!  Hurst is the only person I can think of who was in the Classic Trek TV series and DS. Philip R. Allen did the opposite. He was in DS and then made his way to Classic Trek in ST III- The Search for Spock. He played a cop or something in PT. David Hurst was the father of Quentin, Gabrial, and Morgan in 1841 PT.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 04:07:46 AM »
Magnus, Justin was a character in the final storyline of the series.  He was only in 3 or 4 episodes.  I think they aired in February of 1971.

G.