Author Topic: The non-lookalikes on DS  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The non-lookalikes on DS
« on: July 27, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »
These are main characters that had never had a lookalike in either their own time period or a different time period.  I do not count a ghost of a character or a character pretending to be someone else (Cassandra, Olivia Corey, etc) as a lookalike.  I also don’t count anyone appearing in one episode or Parallel Time.

1795:
Barnabas Collins, Sarah Collins, Angelique, Bathia Mapes, Suki Forbes, Judge, Riggs

1840:
Samantha Collins, Randall Drew, Roxanne Drew, Jeremy Grimes, Daphne Harridge, Gerard Stiles, Judah Zachary, Joanna Mills, Judge

1897:
King Johnny Romano, Amanda Harris, Julianka, Istvin, Garth Blackwood

Present:
Victoria Winters, Bill Malloy, Sheriff Carter, Dr. Woodard, Dr. Guthrie, Richard Garner, Frank Garner, Sheriff Patterson, Adam, Janet Findlay, Phillip Todd, Schyuler Rumson, Sheriff Davenport

Is there some I missed?

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Re: The non-lookalikes on DS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
Buzz Hackett & (original host body) Pansy Faye.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:34:49 AM »
when vicki was transported to the past everyone she met with the exception of three people(angelique,peter bradford and noah gifford)looked like someone she knew in the present. a phenomenon she never failed to call out and which ended up causing her no end of grief. whenever a new character entered a scene vicki's face had to register "shock" at their resemblance to the person she knew in 1967.

what was funny was when she returned to the present and she encountered the three people who looked like(or were) the people she had met in the past who didn't look like the people she knew in the present she had to register "shock" yet again up to and including crashing a car! didn't vicki ever get tired of mistaken identity?

i can't recall her reaction to tony peterson if they ever met. and when she met professor stokes in 1968 did she think he looked like ben stokes or matthew morgan?

it's all to much to take in. [ghost_blink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:21:46 PM »
Believe it or not, Vicky never met Tony Peterson at all pre or post 1795! So, she had no reaction to seeing Trask the first time they met.

Vickie saw Prof. Stokes as resembling Ben, not Matthew.  Barnabas saw the resemblence to Ben and was stunned, though the other members of the Collins family never acknowledged the resemblence.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
And then, think of all the lookalikes that co-existed in the same timeframe:

1897:
Rachel Drummond  & Kitty Soames
Dirk Wilkins & Charles Delaware Tate 

Present Day:
Timothy Stokes & Matthew Morgan 
Jeff Clark & Ned Stuart 
Jeb Hawkes & Sebastian Shaw 

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 08:34:44 PM »
Vickie may have seen Prof. Stokes as resembling Ben, but she thought Ben was Matthew when she first met him. If A=B and B=C, then A SHOULD =C as well. The family was probably used to lookalikes living in Collinsport all their lives, or they were too polite to notice.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Vicki's reactions to people in 1795 kept reminding me of the Wizard of Oz. At the end when she was back in 1968 I wish there had been scene where she was in bed and Liz, Carolyn, Roger and Julia were clustering around and she said:"And you were there, and YOU were there and you, and you... and some of it was terrible but some of it was wonderful..."

They did have characters reacting to Ned's resemblance to Jeff, and Sebastian's resemblance to Jeb.  Poor Carolyn initially thought Sebastian was Jeb back from the dead.

G.

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode #1044
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 12:11:18 AM »
Alexandra Moltke once revealed in an interview the she had trouble maintaining "Respect for Victoria" because she was "Pathologically Naive" so the fact that she could easily confuse Mathew, Ben and Elliot comes as no surprise.   [ghost_wacko] 

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
I think what really set Vicky off when she saw Ben Stokes in 1795 was that he was doing something with the fireplace, just as she had seen Matthew Morgan doing in 1966.

I think Laura Collins and Ezra Braithwaite can be added to the list of non-lookalikes.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 09:28:56 AM »
I so wish they'd dropped the thing about resemblances ASAP.   I suppose that they thought the audience required some acknowledgement of the similarities, since entire casts on TV shows didn't just start playing all new characters en masse, suddenly.  If Victoria "ignored" it, the audience might have been thrown by that.

If they intended never to reveal any explanation though, they should have stopped mentioning resemblances and given the audience a chance to get used to the new characters and get it into their heads that actors can play more than one role.   They did it in 1897, but then in 1970 a hundred question marks are raised about Sebastian being Jeb, which they just expect you to forget about later.   Slap a funny moustache on Sebastian and don't bring up Jeb...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
I think they had to acknowledge the resemblence to Jeb as he was Carolyn's husband who died recently.  It would have been awkward not to.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 11:36:06 PM »
What really perplexed me was the incredibly pointless introduction of Millicent Collins--she enters the house, Viki lunges at her exclaiming 'Carolyn!' and then the girl apparently stays locked in her room reading romance novels for thirty episodes before appearing again.  I don't think they even had another scene together after that, so they really could have let the ploy rest by that point. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 12:31:25 AM »
I wonder if Nancy Barrett asked to leave suddenly, and the script was already written?  It could also be that they wanted to make certain that the audience, who might not tune in for several days, knew what was going on. I'd have to see the episodes again before I had any confidence in these suggestions. Those are the thoughts I have as of now, having not watched 1795 in a while.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
I think they had to acknowledge the resemblence to Jeb as he was Carolyn's husband who died recently.  It would have been awkward not to.

Well, that's where the funny moustache comes in!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »
I wonder if Nancy Barrett asked to leave suddenly, and the script was already written?  It could also be that they wanted to make certain that the audience, who might not tune in for several days, knew what was going on. I'd have to see the episodes again before I had any confidence in these suggestions. Those are the thoughts I have as of now, having not watched 1795 in a while.

It might be that she suddenly became unavailable after that episode; it's just really strange that they introduce her and then she is 100% absent during the important story arch from the time before...

[spoiler]Jeremiah and Josette run away with each other until after Barnabas is already married to Angelique.  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.