Author Topic: Casting Speculations  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Casting Speculations
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »
According to Jim Pierson, nobody has been cast in the new Dark Shadows movie save Johnny Depp as Barnabas.  But that is no reason not to speculate!   [ghost_smiley]

I was posting about this subject on another board, and some casting thoughts came to mind.  One is Christopher Lee as either Joshua Collins or Reverend Trask in flashback.  Methinks he is really too elderly at this point to play Roger.  I also think Helena Bonham Carter doesn't want to play another woman pining uselessly after Barnabas--which really leaves her the role of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.

Now here's a bit of speculation that might be fun.  Like many directors, Tim Burton often re-uses particular actors he likes.  Most seem to enjoy working with him as well.  I was one of those seriously impressed by Anne Hathaway in Alice in Wonderland as well as many other roles.  I find myself hoping she is cast--as either Victoria, Josette, Carolyn, Angelique or some combination of the above.

What say you folks?   [smileyinbox]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Casting Speculations
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
I would love to see Anne Hathaway in the film. And in fact, a fellow DS fan and I were saying as much after we watched her in Passengers on DVD this past weekend.

And as far as Burton reusing actors he's worked with goes, I wouldn't mind if almost anyone who appeared in Sleepy Hollow reappeared in the Depp/DS film - and that includes Christopher Lee. And another possibility for Trask: SH's Christopher Walken. Can you just picture it?

David

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:12:50 AM »
Cate Blanchett as Julia
Philip Seymour Hoffman as Stokes
Emma Thompson as Liz
James Franco as Willie

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:00:47 AM »
Haven't there been rumors about Angelina Jolie intriguing to play Angelique? Her current Vanity Fair mag cover shot could be seen as an interesting update of Cassandra....

G.

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
Please, for the love of goodness, NO Angelina Jolie. That would spoil the whole movie for me. I don't care one whit for her at all.

How about Christina Ricci as...someone. Also Miranda Richardson would be a great addition. Loved her in the Harry Potter movie and also Sleepy Hollow.

I'm hoping Christopher Lee plays Barnabas' father. I think that would be brilliant.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
Jolie could be an interesting Angelique. I think Nicole Kidman would make a great Angelique.
Is HBC old enough to play Liz? I'd rather see KLS play Liz/Naomi. How about HBC as Mrs. Johnson/Abigail? That's the kind of quirky character role I think she could really steal the show with. I can just picture her Mrs Johnson all repressed and snaky, and her Abigail foaming bat****crazy.
Christopher Lee would make a great Trask. How about David Selby as Joshua?
I read that Anne Hathaway wanted toplay Vicky, and she'd be good in the role.They'd probbaly follow the remake and have Vicky be Josette, unless they write out Vicky in favor of Maggie. I dount there'sd be room in the movie for both Vicky and Maggie to do much. They could always bring in Maggie for a sequel, especially if AH becomes unavailable.
Susan Sarandon would make a great Julia.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Judy Davis -- Julia Hoffman/Magda/etc.
Nancy Barrett -- Elizabeth Collins Stoddard or
Marcia Gay Harding -- Elizabeth Collins Stoddard
Joaquin Phoenix -- Barnabas (sorry, i don't see depp as Barnabas)
Johnny Depp  -- Quentin
Giovanni Ribisi -- Willie Loomis
Michelle (Heath's Ex) Williams (?) -- Maggie Evans
Emil DeRaven -- Carolyn Stoddard
Tim Curry -- Roger Collins
Philip Seymor Hoffman - Sam Evans
James Franco -- Joe Haskell
Kathy Bates-- Mrs. Johnson

As Angelique, i'd like to see the girl who played her in the revival play her as well (can't recall her name now).   she was great in the part.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
I always thought that Louise Fletcher would make a great Mrs Johnson/Abigail. Check her out in Flowers in the Attic and picture her as Abigail, she's practicaly already playing Abigail there!
Nancy Barrett would also make a great Mrs Johnson/Abigail, I think she would be great with all that simmering passion subverted into insane religious mania. I'd be ok with her as Liz, I want one of the DS women to play her, I just think KLS would be better in that role.
I'd be cool with Joaquin playing Barnabas, or maybe Quentin. He'd be a better Barnabas I think, better suited for brooding than a bad boy.
Tim Curry would be great as Roger, but I think he'd make a fabulous Trask!
I always though Willian Shatner would make a great Sam Evans, I could easily picture him as a boozy failed artist with a doting daughter. James Franco could certainly play Joe, he has a quality that would make him believable as a salt of the earth hardworking fisherman.