Author Topic: Dates, location for Fest '11?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
Dates, location for Fest '11?
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
Just wondering if Marcy announced them during her time or if anyone else had news.

Thanx -- Julie   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
Re: Dates, location for Fest '11?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »
I'm afraid that nothing was announced about next years Fest. Marcy was asked, but said that they were concentrating on one Fest at a time and that when anything was set she would announce it in Shadowgram.
Life works if you let it

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 04:36:05 AM »
Thanks, Bette, I know in '09 they already had the dates and location for this year set, so I had hoped they might have it in place this time.  I personally would like to see it go back to Brooklyn next year, but I fear it's going to outgrow hotel venues very soon.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 11:05:31 PM »
Surprisingly, nothing has been announced yet!  I'm praying that it's anywhere but Newark, and from a lot of people at the Festival, they feel the same way.  The Newark location was just plain awful!!!!  Someone please tell Jim Pierson and Ann Wilson to consider Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Tarrytown.  BTW, here on Staten Island we have a HUGE Hilton which is close to public transportation, malls, and yes, it's about a mile from my house!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:27:04 AM »
Roger Davis said several times during the Fest that it will be in New York next year. Certainly nothing official but it will be the 45th Anniversary next year so NY is a good possibility. I guess everything is up in the air especially with the new movie possibly going into production next year. On the other hand that should have nothing to do with the Fest next year?

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
Newark (actually Elizabeth) was a lousy location.  Although working for Amtrak helped me a great deal.  The trip was free! [ghost_tongue]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 12:12:25 AM »
I guess everything is up in the air especially with the new movie possibly going into production next year. On the other hand that should have nothing to do with the Fest next year?

The Depp/DS film might have something to do with it. Depending on how far along it is by the time of the next Fest, for security reasons Warner Bros. might feel safer showing actual footage in CA and closer to home rather than traveling with it across country to NY or NJ. Something tells me they're really going to want to keep a tight lid on much of the production. Or they may simply prefer to do any sort of presentation in CA. But if the film hasn't gone into production by the next Fest, then it probably wouldn't matter on which coast the Fest is held.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:20:04 AM »
I still have fond memories of the Hilton Gateway in Newark.  A pretty good location -- attached to Penn Station, for easy jaunts into NYC.

Of course, nothing beats the glory years when the Fest was at the Marriott Marquis in the heart of the theater district and rooms were only $99.00 per night.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:33:13 AM »
ClaudeNorth those were the days.

MB I am hoping that the movie goes into production next year and that the Fest is held in NY. Of course that is the best scenario for me, selfishly speaking. What you are saying makes sense to me. If the movie starts filming in February for example then there may certainly be some promotional footage available by the time the next Fest is held. It was interesting that I heard Roger Davis say three times that it was going to be held in NY and each time JP who was near him did not correct him in any way.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:45:59 AM »
The '11 Fest may indeed be in NY (those of us on the East Coast should only be so lucky - and those who dislike the NJ site should be even luckier  [ghost_grin]). But RD has spread misinformation with Pierson right on stage with him. I suspect Pierson may have learned it's probably best to let the stars ramble, even if what they're saying isn't necessarily worth the breath it took to say it.  [ghost_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
That may very well be true. RD was certainly rambling on during the banquet.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:14:36 AM »
Soooooo,  ....is anyone gonna start the 'OFFICIAL' Fest Report thread? 'Cause I'd really like to hear the details of what went on! [ghost_tongue2]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
Of course, nothing beats the glory years when the Fest was at the Marriott Marquis in the heart of the theater district and rooms were only $99.00 per night.

(((sigh))) I've only attended one in NYC (2001 fest held at the Marriott between the Towers - memorable for obvious but different reasons).  But the above locale must have been FABULOUS!  I can only imagine!

“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »
I saw on Facebook that Seth Grahame-Smith was just signed to write the script for the new DS movie. I'm guessing that this is a re-write as John August was signed to do it. With the script still uncomplete I don't expect the movie to be anywhere near completed by next July. The new movie shouldn't have much effect on next years fest unless.

May you die before you want too.

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »
They won't even begin filming until at least January.  But knowing what a perfectionist Johnny Depp is, it doesn't surprise me that this happened. [ghost_mad]