Author Topic: Kathy Cody At The Fest?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline John_in_NC

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Kathy Cody At The Fest?
« on: July 19, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »
Just wondering if Kathy Cody was at the Fest this year and does anyone have any photos?
Thanks,
John in NC

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Re: Kathy Cody At The Fest?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Yes, she was there, but I don't have any photos. She said she got married around 1975, and quit acting to raise her daughter, who is now 28. She said she went to work designing computers or something like that. She's going to do one of the Dark Shadows plays on audio CD.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
Hi!

The schedule was changed on Friday night so she shared the stage with Jerry Lacy rather than KLS, and I can pass along some more of her reminiscences.

As you know, it was her first DS Fest.  On Friday night, she spoke about her work before and after DS (her 4th soap), which of course was a different and more frightening experience than the others.  She came to it knowing nothing about the series because she'd been busy with work and school, though she knew David Henesy through the latter.  She had one reading for the part and isn't actually sure why she got it.  At 15 (her age when she started), she had a crush on David Selby and actually hoped to not run into him in the office because he would talk to her and then she'd want to die.  She mentioned that David H had a crush on her, but she wasn't his age and told him to forget about it.  She did, however, enjoying going to Kate Jackson's room with him to smoke.  Eventually she married, had her daughter and came to be a single mom who returned to her career but found it too difficult.  So she moved to Florida and worked her way up in the corporate world.

During the Q&A, she explained that she felt no pressure after replacing Denise Nickerson, and it helped that her buddy David (who also reminded her of a pesky younger brother) made her feel comfortable and they came to be good friends.  In talking about Tom Happer, she said she finally got to play her age.  A fan asked about her memories of Bob Crane, and she explained that he was always pleasant but they were never close.

Her appearance on Sunday was in the form of a tribute, and she seemed to enjoy the clips chosen for her:  Superdad, (with Kurt Russell, whom she at one time had plans to marry), The Partridge Family (with David Cassidy), Love, American Style (with Davy Jones, and omg she was a lucky girl!), a Gunsmoke ep (she said she loved doing Westerns and dressing in period costumes [the latter being a good thing, cuz she said the dress worn in the clip shown from 1841 was pure wool, yikes]).  Another new experience that came to her by way of DS was that she became close friends with a handful of the show's female fans.  But most of her mail, otoh, was from male fans.  A fan in the audience told her that his father was a huge fan at 15, and when she said she once received a letter along with a book of Shakespeare's Sonnets, she added, "It might've been your father."

She spoke highly of Thayer David ("a wonderful man and wonderful actor").  She also told about a few injuries she endured, one on Superdad-- a runaway surfboard causing hyperextension of her knee, and explained the sling we saw her in on DS-- she had done her sole voiceover, and while she was opening a door of the sound booth, someone else opened the other and her wrist became caught in the the doors.  On Friday, she talked about getting hit by a car on a corner while on the way to an audition that caused her to miss weeks of filming and said Kate Jackson was not only the first to reach her, but she also stayed all night in the ER with her until her parents arrived.

About David Henesy, she said, "I wish he would come to one of these things so I could see him" and that she never got to say goodbye to him when he disappeared from the show while she continued into the next storyline.  Jim Pierson filled her in on his whereabouts and promised to put her in touch with him via email.  She was so cheerful this weekend and seemed to be enjoying herself, so I bet if anyone can convince David to attend a Fest, it's Kathleen.

It's impressive that her memories were vivid even after all these years (how refreshing), and a friend of ours got to spend some time discussing her 4 Gunsmoke eps with her, and I bet you can guess who that was, John, lol.  Here's a pic from the autograph line on Friday night [we missed you!]:

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:00:10 PM »
Very nice. And well detailed. But then you always provided vivid details.  [wink2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
Thanks!   [ghost_happy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »
Wow.  Kathy looks great AND has great memories to share!  Thanks for all you've shared, Midnite.

G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:35:31 PM »
heres 1 i took. there are more on my facebook page.

Offline John_in_NC

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:51:02 PM »
Wow, thank you so much Midnite for that wonderful recollection of Kathy Cody.  That made me feel like I was there in person.  And yes I can imagine who was in heaven hearing all the Gunsmoke stories.[ghost_grin]
Missed you too!!
John

Offline katrinavantassel

• Junior Poster
  • Home sweet home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:56 AM »
Thanks for the wonderful report. Awesome that she was at the Festival.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 04:56:43 AM »
She said this was a candid shot, and what she was doing (which I could never tell) was filing her nails.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:01:56 AM »
Oh no - the 1990 Calendar of Quotes!  [b003]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:24:10 AM »
lol

That pic is in the DS Companion too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 05:52:56 AM »
Though the calendar is probably more infamous.  [ghost_wink]

I can see why anyone who may have only seen that photo in the DS Companion wouldn't have any idea that she's filing her nails - the photo isn't exactly very clear. The version in the calendar is much better.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 05:26:32 PM »
Wow!  thanks Midnite  Kathy is such a beautiful lady.
    Again, thanks for sharing the photos.
                     Love  Ann [ghost_smiley]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 07:40:43 AM »
Something I'd like to add to Midnite's excellent summary of Kathleen Cody's appearance is the impression she made. After all these years of not being an actress, Miss Cody was the consummate professional on the stage - confident, exuding warmth, humor, and a very personable quality - it was impossible not to like her! Also, her voice was warm, rich, and again exuded a stage presence that drew you in. (She even joked about the high register of her voice on DS.) She seems to be very happy with her life now - but I couldn't help thinking that she has talent that deserves to be used. How great to learn that she will be recording one of the Great Finish audio productions (which I'm not familiar with yet at this point).
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995