Author Topic: Jessica Chastain ('04 Carolyn) on Masterpiece Mystery  (Read 820 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Jessica Chastain ('04 Carolyn) on Masterpiece Mystery
« on: July 12, 2010, 03:42:44 AM »
Jessica Chastain, who played Carolyn in the WB's '04 DS pilot, appeared on tonight's PBS' Masterpiece Mystery production of Murder on the Orient Express. She portrayed Mary Debenham (the role portrayed by Vanessa Redgrave in the '74 movie version, if you're familiar with that) and she was really quite good. So much so, that I'm more upset than ever over the whole situation with the '04 pilot because, based on her performance, it would have been fascinating to see what she might have done with Carolyn and any other characters she might have been given had the series gone forward.

Anyone interested in catching this can still do so because PBS stations will most probably be rerunning it again throughout the week (I'm actually DVRing a rebroadcast now) and it is also available to watch online at pbs.org.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Jessica Chastain ('04 Carolyn) on Masterpiece Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 06:33:24 AM »
Thank you for the notice - I recorded it and haven't watched it yet, so I'll know to be on the look out for her.  It's been so long since I saw the movie version (or read the book) that I hardly remember who all the individual characters were.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
Here's a capture from a pivitol moment near the end:

More captures may follow - I'll have to wait to see when I watch the show over again...

(And for past captures of Jessica, one might want to check out:
Jessica Chastain on Journeyman
if you haven't already seen that topic.)

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »
She was magnificent in that role--transformed in this script as the heart of the story, the real "opponent" to Poirot who challenged his world-view with its precision and unbending judgment.  And she did it not with joy but sorrow, at the end seeing some of what it cost him.

Every single remake of a previous Poirot film--The ABC Murders and Evil Under The Sun as well as Death on the Nile--undertaken with Suchet in the lead has been superior.  This is no exception.

Methinks she would have made an awesome Carolyn.  I look forward to seeing her performance this Saturday.