Author Topic: Posting box too wide?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Posting box too wide?
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
I have a problem typing my long reviews on here once it gets so far I cannot see what I type. I don't know if this is the right place to put this but rather than starting a new topic I thought I could ask. If this needs moved go ahead! So what I have to type them up in Microsoft word and copy and paste! Does anyone know what that is about?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Posting box too wide?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
Hmmm - that shouldn't be happening - well, unless someone is using a monitor resolution less that 800X600 (which is pretty much the smallest monitor resolution size for Web design these days - and has been for many years). Most, if not all, of the forum's themes are designed to be used at 800X600 and larger.

Have you tried adjusting your monitor's resolution?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:05 PM »
I've had the same problem for quite some time, too; several months, as a matter of fact.  If the message goes beyond the bottom of the box, the box does not "advance."  However, if I keep typing, inbetween keystrokes, the box "jumps" back up, so while I'm typing (if it's fast enough), it doesn't do it, but if I go slower, the box jumps up-and-down-up-and-down-up-and-down.  I haven't mentioned it before because, while it can be a bit irksome, it doesn't prevent me from blabbering on and on when I get long-winded.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 07:23:16 PM »
This is getting too bizarre.  [ghost_blink]

I'm assuming all these problems are happening on CRT monitors using 4X3 resolutions as opposed to widescreen monitors using 16X9 resolutions. I use a widescreen monitor and, obviously, it doesn't display 4X3 resolutions correctly. But I still have a CRT monitor, so when I get a chance I'll connect it and see it I can track down what might be happening. But I have to confess that at this point I haven't got a clue because any resolution that's 800X600 or above should be working correctly regardless of the type of monitor...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
It did it on my old monitor, MB, and continues to do it on my new one (which is wonderfully wide-screen), so for me it happened on on one that went all the way back to 1994 (and the weird phenomenon that's the subject of this thread just started to happen on it, out of the blue, several months ago; I'm talking maybe more than half-a-year), to a new critter I just got maybe three months ago.

Gerard

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
We have a great wide screen now but it also did this with my old BIG monitor! As I said though it's not a big deal!  [ghost_nowink] I just use MW! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 12:15:41 AM »
I tested things in Windows with Firefox, IE, Safari and Google Chrome, and ever resolution I tried worked fine. The only thing I can think is that for some strange reason(s) the copies of whatever browsers you're using aren't correctly processing the CSS codes that display the posting box - but I have no idea why that would be. And the only ways I can think to get the forum to display correctly are to remove/reinstall whichever browsers you're using (and if it's IE, that can sometimes be a headache), or to try out a different browser to see if things work correctly in it.

Of course, when it comes to Windows, nothing surprises me - and the problems can be so random with some people encountering them and others never getting them. For example, my version of Windows absolutely refuses to allow me to upgrade from IE7 to IE8. The download goes through fine, the install says IE8 has been installed, but it's still IE7 - no matter how many times I've tried it. And I mentioned a few months back how a friend could not get Amazon Unbox to work on his computer no matter what he tried to do or what the Amazon techs suggested he do...

The mysteries of Windows are many and often extremely frustrating!