Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--She likes ME Best! 8/20  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--She likes ME Best! 8/20
« on: August 21, 2002, 03:41:14 AM »
Fashion notes first . . .

What is the deal with encasing Grayson Hall in materials that are more often used in the home decor business?  I must say that I was amazed to see that she has a figure after all.  However, aside from delineating Ms Hall's bust, that costume did nothing for her.  Luciaphil's rule o' fashion #37: if you can upholster with a fabric, you shouldn't be wearing it.

For once using Ohrbachs for all their costuming needs paid off.  Harry Johnson looked suitably lower middle class in his obvious off-the-discount-rack ensemble.

And in this last fashion note, in some cases it's all about what's not there.  In this instance, Joel Crothers' shirt.  (deep sigh of lust)  Less can be so, so much more.

Poor Harry.  He's just so hopelessly out of his league and (sorry Craig_Slocum), I say this regarding both the character and the actor.  

I was highly, highly amused by the "no, no, it's me she wants" tug of war that Joe and Barnabas had going.  At least, I can get why they want her (supernatural sex/vamp addiction).  I cannot, however, figure out what her problem is (aside from Angelique being a nutcase).  

Some very good work from Frid.  I don't say it often enough, but he really did amazingly well considering the tripe they gave him to say.  For all of what passed for dialogue, he managed to create a complex plausible characterization.  Not a likeable one (at least not for me) but a fully-fleshed character.  Hard to do when you have to make lines like he consistently got sound convincing.

Poor joe.  There's like a growing list of people trying to kill him and no one deserves it less.

Not too much to comment on here.  Most of today's second episode seemed to involve Barnabas lying to Julia.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--She likes ME Best! 8/20
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2002, 04:52:47 AM »
Loved your descriptions of Grayson's outfit - I read that one to my aunt.

As to the way they have Joe, his neck bandage is quite obvious.  I'm assuming Maggie learned that he stabbed himself in the stomach.  Isn't she wondering about the neck wound?

Josette

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 03:02:23 AM »
Harry Johnson looked suitably lower middle class in his obvious off-the-discount-rack ensemble.

Poor Harry.  He's just so hopelessly out of his league and (sorry Craig_Slocum), I say this regarding both the character and the actor.

What he was wearing looked good on him, I like the suit and tie look. The color scheme went well with his red hair too. I don't agree that he's hopelessly out of his league. Why do you think so? Please discuss your reasons.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2002, 04:34:55 AM »
I don't agree that he's hopelessly out of his league. Why do you think so? Please discuss your reasons.

At this point in the story, Harry is the small-time, two-bit crook with the Sunday-Go-To-Meeting/PITA mother.  And here I think Craig Slocum does really well.  Clarice Blackburn helped to make that picture come alive, of course, but Slocum holds his own.  You can practically picture Harry's rap sheet.  And you know that it's all nickel and dime stuff.  I get the image of him just staying well away from say, armed robbery.

In the scenes he's had lately, Harry is in trouble.  Big trouble.  He's no longer nicking wallets or whatever it was he did, he's in with the big leagues of Nicholas Blair and co.  Okay, so he's been called upon to murder Joe Haskell.  

Now as I see it, this should require a couple of things on Slocum's part:
1.  to reinforce the fact that Harry is hopelessly out of his league.
2.  to establish that Harry is scared sh*tless about being asked to murder someone.
3.  to show his reluctance/emotional indeciseveness about the situation.

I don't see him succeeding at #2 and 3.   He's more whiney than worried.  Contrast that with Karlen's performance in similiar circumstances and Slocum comes up short.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga