Author Topic: Humbert Allen Astredo, "Trading Spaces," and Gothick  (Read 1788 times)

ClaudeNorth

Humbert Allen Astredo, "Trading Spaces," and Gothick
« on: August 20, 2002, 05:35:06 AM »
Hi!

A while back, Gothick mentioned that Humbert Allen Astredo once played a "nefarious interior decorator" on a soap opera in the 1970s.

Well, I'm a big fan of TLC's "Trading Spaces" and one of the designers on the show is a man named Doug Wilson, who I think would qualify as 'nefarious'.  The thing is, whenever I see HAA, I think of DW, and vice versa.

Anyone else on this forum watch "Trading Spaces"?

Regards,

John (whose recent employment has not stopped him from writing long, rambling, meaningless posts...)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Humbert Allen Astredo, "Trading Spaces," and Gothick
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 05:43:17 AM »
Well, I'm a big fan of TLC's "Trading Spaces" and one of the designers on the show is a man named Doug Wilson, who I think would qualify as 'nefarious'.  The thing is, whenever I see HAA, I think of DW, and vice versa.

Hehehe.  Now there's a thought.  Nicholas Blair in leather trousers  (sorry, just saw the Target episode).  I never thought about Nicholas as a Doug kind of guy, but you're right.  They both have that snarky kind of quality.

Religiously.  Thank God for the TWoP forums where I can talk about my addiction.  

Now my big question.  Hild* Santo-Thomas and Cassandra Collins--reincarnated or what?  

Luciaphil
(who has in mind a TS meets DS fanfic . . . )
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 05:55:35 AM »

My husband is totally addicted to that show.  I don't know what good it does, 'cause it certainly hasn't inspired him to do anything around HERE.
He made me watch it not long ago, and when the woman had seen what the neighbors had done to the room, she was so upset she walked out in tears.

(I haven't watched it since.)   :'(

-CLC

Offline CandleLighter

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 06:51:52 AM »
My husband is totally addicted to that show.  I don't know what good it does, 'cause it certainly hasn't inspired him to do anything around HERE.

I , too, love this show.. I could watch nonstop episodes and I don't know why because I haven't done one thing to my house that I have seen on there.. but if I ever decide to..well!  I have so many ideas for chicken wire and PVC!  My favorite designer is Frank.. he usually doesn't make anyone cry and he is funny.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 12:41:29 PM »
I love Frank and Trading Space's too.  Anybody know Frank?  Well, if you do, tell him to come over to my house, and any room he wants, he can do it.  And, I watch DS.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 03:51:14 PM »
If I saw any one of those designers coming up my walk I would lock the door. Hildy I might even call the folks with the white coats and nets on.  Sometimes I like certain elements of a room, but there is always something done that I find god awful.  Frank's mexican kitchen for instance...I tought the serape painted ceiling sounded awful, but absolutely loved the final look...but then there was that stainless wall - ugh.

And the Florida kitchen, was it Hildy of Laurie who piled someone's vintage fiesta ware in the bath tub to wash? I would have been nuts when I saw that footage if it had been my fiesta.

Doug is arroant, isn't he?  And Vern is just a little too into trying to be the cute little elfin type with his jumping down from counter tops to greet people.  Hildy is certifiable.

Now, Ty......I could watch an entire hour of him doing anything.
n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 03:59:02 PM »
My sister in law forced me to watch it ICK![pain]
I would also LOCK the door!
also not a big reality tv fan either we also had to watch Fear Factor [puke]They make fun of me for watching DS
but that's what you get when you travel with relatives have to grab that clicker first!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline CandleLighter

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2002, 04:42:55 PM »
Did you see the one where Doug turned the family room into a movie theater? They needed a space where the kids could play and have friends over and a place for the computer.. what they got was a mini movie theater complete with theater seats and aisle lights on the floor.. but the clencher was.. they only had a small TV, no surround sound or anything...lol [hdscrt][hdscrt][hdscrt]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2002, 05:31:28 PM »
Hi John,

Well, thanks for thinking of me!  I'm afraid I've never heard of Trading Spaces.  Is TLC the Learning Channel? I really haven't had much time to watch ANYTHING this Summer.  I recently checked the first episode of The Prisoner out of the library as I had never seen it--it took 4 separate occasions for me to get through the 52 minute tape!  Pitiful, I know.  It's just been a busy summer--fun, but busy.  Thankfully, I'm about to take my annual week of going to stay on a farm way upstate NY where I don't do much except lounge around in a state of undress and paddle in a pond.  Oh, and cooking, of course--chopping veggies is terribly therapeutic for me.

The one show I have been watching regularly (albeit on tape) is Sonya the Pet Psychic on Animal Planet.  It's sort of like a remake of Dr. Dolittle with Patsy Stone from Ab Fab in the title role.  It's a hoot, and of course some of the cuddly critters get me all lachrymose and sentimental.

Gothick

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2002, 08:47:10 PM »
I've never seen Trading Spaces, but I love the show that it is based on--BBC America's "Changing Rooms."

Anybody ever watch that one?

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2002, 06:13:03 AM »
I LOVE Trading Spaces! It is my favorite show (after DS of course). My favorite designer is Laurie because she is so nice and decorates rooms the best. Actually, I like all of the designers but Vern. He is too boring. I always like everything they do on the show- I really don't have a set style. Even Doug's movie theatre!

-Lindsey

Doug has something in common with Jeff Clark. If you watch, they both love touching their hair!!!
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2002, 06:26:27 AM »
Doug has something in common with Jeff Clark. If you watch, they both love touching their hair!!!

Ack!  How can you possibly compare the scrumptious evil snarky Doug (especially evil snarky Doug in the leather trousers) to a Roger Davis character?  I am cut to the quick  ;)

Luciaphil
(who needs to get out more--I said it, so you don't have to  8) )
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ElizabethGrayson

• Junior Poster
  • Would you care to pet my dragon?
    • View Profile
    • Jen's Eclectic Corner...
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2002, 01:28:03 AM »
My mom usually watches it, but I don't.  If I saw them coming to my home, I'd run the other way.  Style is something unique I think, and I wouldn't want anyone to try and tell me what they think I'd like. ::)

Never saw Changing Rooms, but there are enough people reduced to tears in the commercials that I get the picture ;)

EG
Always remember you have the knowledge to do what's right, and the power to right what's done.
(Bill Sisler, "Fields of Honor")

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2002, 06:36:07 AM »
Can't say I have watched the whole thing.  Having someone else decorate any room in my house would scare me.  I cringe at reality TV.  I do enjoy Chistopher Lowell though.  He has great ideas, of course, we don't follow through on any of them.  We were daring and painted out family room a sage green.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2002, 10:57:59 PM »
I do enjoy Chistopher Lowell though.  He has great ideas, of course, we don't follow through on any of them

Catch Chritopher Lowell once in awhile.  I love the decorating shows, but with car wreck mentality it is the really god awful stuff that I seem to enjoy the final reveal of...when something is hideous beyond words.  

Even what I like...I've never done anything that I have seen on one of these shows.  Just did a complete living/dining and bathroom overhaul last winter...but not one thing that captured me from one of these shows.

Anyway....speaking of hideous  beyond words, and car wreck mentality...has anyone seen Matt and Sheri on Room by Room?  How did these two end up with a show?????

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP