Author Topic: Grayson Hall - Kojak 1974  (Read 1241 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Grayson Hall - Kojak 1974
« on: June 07, 2010, 04:20:46 AM »
Fans of the Divine Grayson Hall will enjoy the diva's role in this 1974 episode of Kojak:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/44719/kojak-hush-now-or-youll-die

I love it when Grayson's character informs her wayward son:  "I am DOING ... the BEST I can!" And when she takes a call for him:  "Really, I am NOT an answering service!"

This version of the episode is somewhat more complete than the version syndicated in the 1980s and 1990s, with more scenes of Grayson not seen in that previous cut.  This really is priceless stuff.  If I'm not mistaken, this season of Kojak has been released (or will be soon) in Australia but has yet to be released here in the US on DVD, unfortunately.

I would presume that Lara Parker's episode can be found on hulu, too--if I have a chance to look up the title, and I'll check and post the link soon.

Enjoy:

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson Hall - Kojak 1974
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 04:49:50 AM »
This version of the episode is somewhat more complete than the version syndicated in the 1980s and 1990s, with more scenes of Grayson not seen in that previous cut.

Damn the practice of editing series in syndication so that stations can run more commercials!  [ghost_mad]

I'll definitely have to check this out because I haven't seen the unedited version since CBS first showed it...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:13:35 AM »
Okay, so why the "co-starring" credit at the end rather than a "guest-starring" credit at the top of the show? Where was Grayson's agent and what was s/he thinking?  I mean, Mike Kellin?  He's a Broadway actor with minor credits from the 50s.. Kathleen Quinlan didn't make till later in the 70s.   Grayson was only a co-star?  Rant.......Rant...LOL.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »
Here, I found 2 more links:  [ghost_happy]

Dark Sunday with Lara Parker: http://www.hulu.com/watch/185/kojak-dark-sunday#s-p3-n1-so-i0
& Web of Death with John Karlen: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196/kojak-web-of-death#x-0,vepisode,1,0

Both appear once again in one of the later seasons, but only seasons 1-3 are presently available on hulu. (Although, I think there's more on Netflix's 'Watch Insantly' service)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 05:54:16 PM »
Okay, so why the "co-starring" credit at the end rather than a "guest-starring" credit at the top of the show? Where was Grayson's agent and what was s/he thinking?  I mean, Mike Kellin?  He's a Broadway actor with minor credits from the 50s.. Kathleen Quinlan didn't make till later in the 70s.   Grayson was only a co-star?  Rant.......Rant...LOL.

I just tuned into Web of Death with John and he, among many of the show's regulars, were cut out of the beginning credits. Must be Hulu wanting to shove in more ad time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »
Gee, you wouldn't think they'd be able to cut credits. Wouldn't there be some sort of actors union law against it? Or maybe they haven't gotten to the point where the laws apply to Internet showings...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
Years ago as a younger lad when I first got into DS via the Revival and hadn't seen much of the original show but knew I loved the Diva in question I happened upon this episode!  I taped the show; however my tape dry rotted through the years before DVD recorders came out. I really wonder why I didn't clone it to another VHS alas I did not.   Regardless I loved it and was happy to see Grayson although I only caught it in the middle of the episode.  I love the subtext and back-story she gave her character!  It was really nice to see it on HULU without the cuts and in much better quality!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the Kojak!!!  Luckily I just got our Wii game console hooked into the Netflix on-demand feature... And low and behold they offer Kojak season one!

Forgot how much I enjoyed that show as a kid on the "CBS Late Movie" which was actually just re-runs of old CBS shows. Reminded me of eating those french bread pizzas fresh out of the oven at my grandmothers house... Yummy! Kojak and Columbo were her favorite shows.

I just watched "Dark Sunday" and enjoyed it immensely. The scene when Lara walks into the police station to see Kojak is just classic! Loved that... and the outfit!!! I wished that she'd gotten more TV roles. She was great; but we all knew that already! Looking forward to tracking down the rest of the DS alum episodes.

RQ
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 04:39:23 PM »
While watching season one of Kojak I found an episode with Dennis Patrick. Season One, Episode 20. Entitled "Mojo".  For the unenlightened "mojo" is one of many street names for morphine.

Here's the Hulu link for this episode:  http://www.hulu.com/watch/499/kojak-mojo

Who loves you baby? !!!!!!!!!!!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."