Author Topic: Kate Jackson in Financial Ruin?????  (Read 2127 times)

David

Kate Jackson in Financial Ruin?????
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
The Sunday Express in London reports that Kate Jackson can no longer find work, is broke & living with a friend.
True or tabloid BS?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Jackson in Financial Ruin?????
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »
I tend to take anything in a tabloid - especially an English tabloid - with a grain of salt. It could be true. Who knows? But I'd put more faith in the story if/when it's reported by something reputable...

Offline verusselle

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:14 AM »
Jim Moret reported it on Inside Edition back on May 11.  Moret said that Kate claims she is in financial ruin and on the verge of bankruptcy at the hands of her financial manager, Richard B. Francis (who also worked for Farrah Fawcett).  Apparently, he advised her to invest more than $2 million in a small home in a no-so-great part of Santa Monica.  Kate said that Francis knew she was over-paying and couldn't afford it and now the house has lost much of its value because of the real estate crisis, which has hit Southern California especially hard.  Kate has filed a lawsuit against Francis for $3 million.

David

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:13:29 AM »
I hope Kate wins. But surely she can still work on TV, considering her stature.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 01:16:31 AM »
Inside Edition is a TV tabloid. not to be trusted.

Be very very careful about what you digest and believe is my motto anymore.  Even network Television news shows were reporting that Liz Taylor was getting remarried which turned out to be absolutely untrue.

Julia99

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
Maybe she should make an appearance at one of the Dark Shadows conventions.  I don't know if they pay, but I assume she could make a bundle at the autograph tables.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:50:29 PM »
Hi Ronny,

the DS actors don't get paid for appearing at the DS Festival, and I've never heard of any of them charging for an autograph.  It seems odd given the high fees old actors charge at other events I have heard about from friends.  I think Adam West now charges something like $25 per signature, possibly more.  I attended an event at which all the surviving cast members from Lost in Space were present in the mid 1990s and the fee, I think, was $100 to get everyone's signature--you were not allowed to cherry-pick.  The previous year Jonathan Harris sat at a table and charged $20 per autographed photo or item.

The only way Kate could make money is if she created a product to sell, like Roger Davis with his sweat shirts (which seem to have gone the way of all flesh), or Diana Millay with her cookbook.

G.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 01:07:33 AM »
I would so love to see her at a Festival- we DS fans still love her!!!!!

Offline darkshadowsrick

• "Lara Parkers' best photographer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 06:56:06 AM »
I've always wished that Kate Jackson, Alexandra Moltke, and David Henesy would come to a festival.  It might jump-start Kate's career to come to a festival, write a book, appear in the new Johnny Depp movie in a cameo, the possibilities are endless!  She could make some money in those ways.
darkshadowsrick
rick hatch

David

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
Since Kate is now an older, established leading lady, casting her as Liz in Depp Shadows would be part of a time honored tradition. Her connection to the original series would make it a double coup!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
I personally wouldn't care to see Kate cast as Liz.  I would enjoy the idea of her appearing in the film, although I would hope that it would be more than just a cameo appearance. 

I just don't feel that Kate is right for the role of Liz.  It should be someone with a combination of matronly elegance and sharp-as-cut-glass shrewdness.  I have no suggestions to make since for me Joan Bennett WAS Liz, even though I have seen two other actresses play the part.  They are both very fine actresses, but neither of them convinced me for even a second that she was Liz.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 02:43:16 AM »
i know what you mean gothick...

since i've spent so much time with these people they are in a funny way "real" to me in a way that no other film/television characters are.

no matter how many other actresses have played liz since the definitive joan bennett portrayal nor however many might play her in future projects based on the series for me joan IS elizabeth collins stoddard. the voice. the mannerisms. the insane chartrues caftan thing. it all adds up to the real mccoy for me if such a thing can accurately be said about a completely fictitious person.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:54:26 AM »
Oh yes, MSC... another word that comes to mind for Liz, as Joan incarnated her, is "patrician."  I can't think of any American actresses of the appropriate age who could bring that off now; possibly Meryl Streep.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 06:26:41 AM »
I shudder at the thought of Streep as La Liz.  She'd probably work up some sort of accent, pick one facial expression, and mug her way through the part.  Can't see Kate Jackson in the role either, as much as I like her.  If Faye Dunaway had allowed herself to age gracefully (have you see those Chicklet veneers?), then she might have been able to pull it off.  Blythe Danner could be interesting. And suddenly I'm wondering what Shirley MacLaine would do with the role.  An offbeat choice, but her persona might mesh well with the DS universe.

Perhaps the way to go would be to cast a British actress, such as (but not necessarily) Helen Mirren.  I think a British actress would be able to convey "patrician" more believably than an American actress, especially now that the trend is for 50-somethings to try to pass themselves off as 30-somethings.

In any event, it's difficult to imagine anyone else in the role of Liz.  Really, that's how I feel about all of the roles on DS, which makes me wonder if I'll be able to enjoy the new movie, no matter how well it turns out.