Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Love's Young Dream 8/15 & 8/16  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Love's Young Dream 8/15 & 8/16
« on: August 17, 2002, 04:01:30 AM »
Fashion notes first . . .

I still don' t like the white dress.  It makes Parker look dumpy about the waist.  Plus, she's been wearing it for how many days now?  

Julia's neck.  It's seldom exposed and I've never understood why.  It's not at all bad for a middle-aged woman; she looked quite pretty with the pearls and the suit (incidentally, was this the day they took the cast photo on the staircase?)

Barnabas' "victim" attire.  I think a suit and tie would do a better job of hiding neckwounds than the ascot, but go figure.

Was Harry wearing Roger's jacket?  

Egad, where did they get that horrible turtleneck for poor David Henesy?  I think this begins the downward trend of his scary, scary wardrobe.

Carolyn's electric kool-aid acid trip dress.  I'm not a 100% sold on it.  On the one hand the colors are stunning, bright and arresting.  It probably was the height of fashion when the show aired.  On the other hand the pattern is very distracting.

Onto the show  . . .

Just have to say that the bedroom in which Angelique surprised Barnabas was ick city.  Holy high Victorian, Batman!

Barnabas and Angelique.  If she got that juiced at putting Barnabas under her control, then why the hell couldn't she have saved everyone a lot of trouble and zapped him before?  Now she doesn't care if she gets him by a trick?

Notice how she tries to twist this around to be his fault?  Hon, at some point, you have to bite the bullet (yes, you can use the fangs) and accept some responsibility.  God, they are so perfect for each other.

I really, really, really find the vampire's reflection in a mirror disconcerting.  

Telling Barnabas the rules.  Um.  Isn't that kind of like telling an electrician how to wire your house to code?  He knows the drill.

I've never gotten the following concept: Vampire takes someone who hates their guts and starts sucking their blood.  Okay.  Now, Vampire decides to turn victim so that "they can be together for all eternity."  In this show, the vampires remember who they were and all that.  So now you have one incredibly brassed off, still holding a grudge Vampire#2 who has the same powers as Vampire#1.  This makes sense--how?

Kind of sad to watch Maggie and Joe disintegrating, but was highly and vastly amusing to watch Adam leap three feet in the air and totally freak at the appearance of Angelique.

God, Angelique is one heartless bitch.  She screws Joe over six ways from Sunday and then dumps him like a crumpled pop can at the side of the road.

KLS kisses with the enthusiasm of a damp rag.

Angelique is none too bright, is she?  She's got an ex bleeding all over that horrid carpet and who does she call?  Barnabas "How can I screw up a crisis even more?" Collins.

Also going to stop here and ask a question.  I don't get the fans who like Angelique--in the sense of someone to pity or to emulate.  I mean, she's a fun character and all that, but Angelique the Witch is every bit as nasty as Angelique the Vampire.  This dumping of Joe is about on par with her treatment of Beth (for which she had less provocation).  How can anyone admire someone like that?  I don't get it.  I don't care how badly your heart was ripped out, that's no reason to throw out every morsel of decency you've ever had, unless, of course, there was never any decency there to begin with.

Maggie and her angst.  Okay, we all know her brains are leaking out bit by bit as DC and co. conspire to turn her into the sweet dumb thing, but I'm still mystified at the conclusions she draws.  Let's review:

1. Joe has mood swings.
2. Joe stops taking care of himself, becoming unkempt, no sleep, etc.
3. Joe starts missing work.
4. Joe becomes atypically violent, ranting and raving at small stuff.
5. Joe loses his job and makes no attempt to regain it.
6. Joe tries to kill himself with a letter opener (classic soap weapon too).

Regardless of Maggie seeing "the other woman," frankly the symptoms just don't add up to "he's cheating on me."  Yeah, it's there and it should be a huge knife wound in the relationship, but plenty of people have messy affairs and still manage to shower and remain gainfully employed.  Most of them continue sans personality changes.

Drug use, yes.  Mental illness, yes.  Infidelity as the total explanation, no.  And while I can see how Maggie might not want to hang on to a substance-abuser/mentally-ill boyfriend or might feel that the problem was beyond her, I'm mystified at how she's reacted all along.

And then there's Adam.  The clueless yutz who has yet to learn that his perception of the world is pretty damn limited and who seems to think that it's possible to understand the opposite sex.

The problem, I think, stems from his frustrations at having been told what to do and from his desire to start laying down ground rules of his own.

You gotta love Eve.  She's as bored and disgusted with this damn plot as we are.

Was the camera man drunk or were they just having the accountant doubling his duties again?

Since when are church bells within hearing distance of Collinwood?

Oh, spare me.  Roger Davis does Ward Cleaver.  Except I think that Ward was more in tune with kids than old P/J (Peter/Jeff).

Well, I think we just either got a glimpse into David's scholastic abilities or Vicki's educational skills.  David loses points both in math and in history!   If P/J is supposed to be 26, and Vicki went back in time to 1795, P/J was born in 1769.  The Battle of Bunker Hill took place in 1775 which would make Peter Bradford a veteran of 6-years-old.  I know they went to war young in those days, but not, I think that young.

Ha!  I loved the Eve meets Carolyn scene.  Got to give Carolyn credit for not letting her jaw drop at seeing Eve's ensemble.  

Why, however, Adam and Carolyn would want Eve to see that incredibly filthy, filthy room is beyond me.  Not exactly something to be proud of, you know.  

Ring bearer?  David is like 12.  Wait until he learns that he has to wear velvet knickerbockers or whatever.  They couldn't even offer him a position as an usher?  

Alas, Eve disappoints me as she always does.  No one could ever possibly be that excited to see a Roger Davis character, let alone be in love with one.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
Re: Idle Thoughts--Love's Young Dream 8/15 & 8/16
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2002, 04:19:22 AM »
I've never gotten the following concept: Vampire takes someone who hates their guts and starts sucking their blood.  Okay.  Now, Vampire decides to turn victim so that "they can be together for all eternity."  In this show, the vampires remember who they were and all that.  So now you have one incredibly brassed off, still holding a grudge Vampire#2 who has the same powers as Vampire#1.  This makes sense--how?

As, like, a plot device! *duh*

And I for one found Roger "Let me not know any of my lines whatsoever and impose my improvizing on this 12 year-old actor" Davis' scenes with David H. very entertaining (well, not really, but they were sorta fascinating in a sick kinda way).
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 01:59:50 AM »

I really, really, really find the vampire's reflection in a mirror disconcerting.  

This seems to be pestering lots of viewers. I'm quite sure even when the show originally aired, fans wrote in and enquired about it. But it's easy enough to justify with but a modicum of willing disbelief suspension. It's A MAGIC MIRROR, not an ordinary mirror. Amongst its many extra abilities is one that shows even a vampire's reflection.

If P/J is supposed to be 26, and Vicki went back in time to 1795, P/J was born in 1769.  The Battle of Bunker Hill took place in 1775 which would make Peter Bradford a veteran of 6-years-old.  I know they went to war young in those days, but not, I think that young.

I caught that line too, but in David's defense, he brought up the subject of Peter having been around at the time, not necessarily fighting in the battle himself.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 02:42:11 AM »
This seems to be pestering lots of viewers. I'm quite sure even when the show originally aired, fans wrote in and enquired about it. But it's easy enough to justify with but a modicum of willing disbelief suspension. It's A MAGIC MIRROR, not an ordinary mirror. Amongst its many extra abilities is one that shows even a vampire's reflection.

(sigh) I would buy that except she's been shown reflected in an assortment of other reflective surfaces, including medical equipment in the Old House basement, which presumably was not enchanted  ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 02:51:13 AM »
My feeling is that Nicholas, knowing how conceited Angelique is, wouldn't torture her by not allowing her to see her reflection in a mirror (although there's a scene in which she tells him, when both of them are staring into a mirror, that she can only see HIS reflection, so it's not consistent).  

DS camerapeople were forever trying new and interesting camera angles.  I suspect they forgot, temporarily, that Ang was a vampire now and shouldn't be able to see her reflection.  Sigh.  Just another adorable (?) gaffe on the part of the DS writers.

Love, Robin

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 05:42:50 AM »
Was Harry wearing Roger's jacket?

No, lol! Harry's jacket resembled Roger's, but it wasn't the same. Roger's was a bit louder.  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 03:15:45 AM »

(sigh) I would buy that except she's been shown reflected in an assortment of other reflective surfaces, including medical equipment in the Old House basement, which presumably was not enchanted  ;)

Luciaphil

Now THOSE little errors you simply have to overlook! ::)