Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1009  (Read 2076 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1009
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1009
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:30:43 AM »
Whose VO?   Oh, the ghost's Joshua.   I can see where they might not have felt they could get away with having PT Barnabas's ghost turn up.   Too on the nose as they say in any case.   Really helpful warning, Joshua, thanks for dropping by with that.  Something bad's happening, and he doesn't know what it is.   "I have warned you!"   What about?

Horace doesn't think he's a blackmailer!   HG hands CL the evidence.  Couldn't Cyrus just keep it?   [spoiler]Ang-Roger, a big meeting, though she doesn't know it yet.[/spoiler]   Louis Edmonds has small eyes.   I wonder how it affected his vision.  The potion is amber now.   Nothing says total evil like a powder blue plain suit.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:53 PM »
Whose VO?
Ken McEwen, I believe.

Oh, the ghost's Joshua.   I can see where they might not have felt they could get away with having PT Barnabas's ghost turn up.
I don't think that was the reason.  I assume Frid had not yet returned from the moviemaking.  Gosh, how I wish we could have seen the ghost of parallel time Barnabas!  I was wondering why Joshua came instead, and decided that maybe Barnabas couldn't appear because there was a Barnabas from another time - our Barnabas - blocking the way.  Physics, you know.  Very important to ghosts.  Joshua was probably pretty ticked off at having to disturb his rest to help out his son.  What I want to know is: why didn't Josette do it?  Oh, well, she probably offered, and Joshua was appalled at the thought.  Who would believe a warning from a woman?

Joshua said there was an evil in this house, an evil who was of both the living and the dead, and I thought: "Sounds more like Angelique than Barnabas, if it's actually in the house."  But then he made it clear that the evil was related to people of his own time, so maybe "this house" was referring to the Collins family as a whole, though it didn't sound that way.  When Joshua said the evil had disturbed the graves of the people who once lived there (I'm relying heavily on the Robservations here) I imagined the graves sort of half opening up and then flopping closed again.

I was interested to learn that Roger had actually read Will's biography of Barnabas Collins.  Nobody else appears to have done so.  Did he do it was a favor to Angelique, and tell her the interesting bits so she could appear to have read it without having actually gone to the trouble of doing so?  Roger said the book was boring, but it could be that Roger merely wasn't about to say anything nice about Will's work.

What called Chris Collins out of town so suddenly?

I'm sorry to see Horace Gladstone go.  He was such fun to watch!  So many physical details of disreputability.  I wish we could have seen him and Angelique squaring off.  I'm sure that even as she was handing over the blackmail money to him, she was making nasty remarks about his personal appearance and about what he might be planning to do with the money.  Incidentally, I think I've decided I was way off the mark when in my previous suggestion for what Gladstone was blackmailing her about.  Now I'm wondering what sort of chemical he was supplying to her.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 12:57:03 AM »
Maybe it was me, and my eyes but it looked like the end of 1008 and the beginning of 1009 were different.

They are sure promoting that Barnabas is coming back. Though I really liked Rogers comment about the two being alone. :)

I am glad that Quentin doesn't think that he is crazy.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 04:49:28 AM »
5/7/70

I would know that head anywhere!    “Are you Barnabas Collins?”  It would have been cool to see PT BC I think!!

It's awesome to see Louis again playing Joshua as he slips right back into the role perfectly!! Good Lord ghosts on Dark Shadows are as evasive as The Elders on Charmed. I love the cosmic freaky deakey sound.  It's also cool to see Roger.  I don't think they had to stop tape as he probably just had his other outfit on under the Joshua cape etc! If PT Barnabas had a dull life he was the total antithesis of his counterpart!  Well there is a mention of Chris.

I forget when we last see Chris and Don or have we already??  I can't remember.

Another example of the freaky color scheme in PT is Angelique's green dress.  Well there is definitely a cut when Chris changes.
Ooh that was a bit violent with the stabbing of the neck! EWW
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
Maybe it was me, and my eyes but it looked like the end of 1008 and the beginning of 1009 were different.
Yes, the mysterious presence at the end of 1008 looked to me as though it could be Barnabas, but at the beginning of 1009 there was no doubt that it was Louis Edmonds.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
Whose VO?
Ken McEwen, I believe.

It was John Harkins, who managed to make his VOs sound very different from his character.

McEwen did a few, but I think not til after [spoiler]Larry Chase was turned into a popsicle.[/spoiler]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 06:15:39 AM »
What gets me is how nobody has any qualms about admitting their deep affection towards Angelique. What in the world did Quentin think about all these men fawning over his wife?

Looks to me like Cyrus has enough Kool-Aid, er potion left for plenty more transformations.

Gladstone tells Lawyer Larry to meet him out front of the Eagle. So why is Gladstone waiting for him out back???

I think the more I watch this actor portraying evil-doer Gladstone, the more I like him. I will miss him as well. I noticed early on in the episode that the camera got a serious close-up of the eye make-up on this guy. No wonder he looks so creepy. Makes me long for nasty tasting tartar sauce.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
I have trouble believing that Joshua in any time band would wear a purple cape.

Quentin (about Cyrus):  "I find it very strange that he would go about changing his will."
Larry:  "Well you know I can't answer that."
What a blabbermouth.  Chase balks at revealing any specifics about it, but wasn't disclosing that Cyrus made changes to his will in the first place already a violation of his duty of confidentiality?  At least when he blabbed about his meeting with Gladstone, it didn't involve one of his clients.

HG hands CL the evidence.  Couldn't Cyrus just keep it?
The two pieces of evidence that HG handed over were negative photocopies.

But where'd he keep the originals?  And more importantly, whatever happened to Gladstone's claim that he wrote down everything that he learned about Cyrus, and should anyone try to silence him, someone very close to Cyrus would read it?  If ever there was a good time to bring that up again, it was while he was begging for his life as Yaeger stood over him with a knife blade.  Hmm.

What I want to know is: why didn't Josette do it?  Oh, well, she probably offered, and Joshua was appalled at the thought.  Who would believe a warning from a woman?
I'm thinking that the Josette of PT may not have been the family protector that her RT counterpart was.  Joshua seemed to be speaking as one Master of Collinwood to another when he was pleading with Quentin anyway.

Joshua said there was an evil in this house, an evil who was of both the living and the dead, and I thought: "Sounds more like Angelique than Barnabas, if it's actually in the house."  But then he made it clear that the evil was related to people of his own time, so maybe "this house" was referring to the Collins family as a whole, though it didn't sound that way.
He also said that Quentin hadn't laid eyes on that particular evil yet, so that eliminates Angelique.

Angelexis had a different hairdo, but that's probably not what you meant.  ;)

I forget when we last see Chris and Don or have we already??  I can't remember.
Discuss - Ep #1001

Don Briscoe makes his final appearance on DS in this ep...

Ooh that was a bit violent with the stabbing of the neck! EWW
I didn't think he stabbed him in the neck, but maybe I missed something.

Larry Chase may as well have been staring down at a pile of vomit, because that's how unemotionally he regarded the man who lay dying of the stab wound.  That's what DC gets for hiring non-actors in roles that require, well, acting.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
What I want to know is: why didn't Josette do it?  Oh, well, she probably offered, and Joshua was appalled at the thought.  Who would believe a warning from a woman?
I'm thinking that the Josette of PT may not have been the family protector that her RT counterpart was.  Joshua seemed to be speaking as one Master of Collinwood to another when he was pleading with Quentin anyway.
I was thinking of Josette not so much as the family protrectress, but rather as the wife for 35 years of parallel time Barnabas, who might therefore have a particular interest in our-time Barnabas.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
I tend to think that there are a lot of factors determining whether ghosts will rise or not, far more than we can know.   You'd never know it from later DS where ghosts seem to pop up right and left, but I think it's not totally up to them, whether they're available to the general living public.   Maybe many of the dead aren't ghosts at all, but are in a nicer (or not) afterlife.   If part of the basis for DS is the idea that we *all* become ghosts, then that might just be the scariest idea in the program.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor