Author Topic: Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections  (Read 1774 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
608 - (KLS) - Night over Collinwood--a dismal night that promises new disasters, for in a house by the sea, an ageless drama is being acted out, and one man has discovered that both sacred and profane love can leave you completely alone.

Angelique is horrified to see what Joe has done to himself. He lies on the floor, grunting in pain. She starts to remove the letter opener, but he insists he wants to die. So many rules, he moans, forgotten, broken, once I started I could never go back, never! Joe's hand is covered with his blood. Let me die! He begs Unsure of what to do, Angelique calls to Nicholas, then Joe, begging him to get up and out of here. (she is some piece of work, isn't she?) Joe is unresponsive. Panicked, she closes the doors and goes to the window, where she summons Barnabas. Come to me, she says, you must.

The dogs howl. Barnabas, at the Old House (in my favorite red smoking jacket and a scarf to hide his fang marks), is writing something. He is perturbed to hear first the dogs, then Angelique summoning him. You have to come to me, she pleads, I don't know what to do--come to me NOW! Barnabas tries to resist, but it's futile. Now! She demands. Barnabas, in a trance, heads out the door. You are my slave, proclaims Ang, you must come to me--hurry! When Barnabas enters, Angelique is happy to see him. He stares at her. Won't you ever leave me alone? He asks in despair. You must never believe I don't need you, she chides, I do, in so many ways. She points out poor Joe, lying unconscious on the floor. Barnabas is concerned. He tried to commit suicide, she says. Why? asks Barn. Angelique, however, wants no questions. He's dying, Barnabas accuses her--do I even need to bother asking? He finds Joe's throat marks. How long? Barnabas asks her.
All the vampire wants is for Barnabas to get Joe out of here. "I should have remembered," says Barnabas, "anyone--anyone--a stranger passing, a friend, an enemy, it doesn't really matter. Ang doesn't answer at first, then says just as long as it's someone--and that someone obeys orders--you are my someone, and must obey me--take him to the woods and leave him there. But he's dying, objects Barnabas. Then you won't have to kill him, will you? she asks cruelly--yes, kill him--I want him far from this place where none of us will be blamed, where even Nicholas won't realize what's happened tonight. Barnabas continues to gaze down at Joe. Now that I have you, says Angelique, I don't want him anymore--Joe couldn't bear it. Barnabas stands and faces her. Is that what you will do with ME when you don't want me anymore? he asks--will you have someone carry me to the woods and kill me? You would, wouldn't you, if you had someone beside him. Ang doesn't reply to this sad little speech, either. (an excellent, heart-wrenching scene, both Frid and Parker in top form.)

Julia and Barnabas minister to Joe in Josette's room. Barnabas lies that he found him in the woods. Joe awakens, asking, "Where is she? Why won't she come to me?" He must mean Maggie, says Barnabas. Julia feels Joe must go to the hospital, but Barnabas objects--should he be moved?--I want you to deal with him here. He'll require a great deal of attention, she says, wanting to know why he's so determined to keep Joe here. It's a small town, he reminds her--the police will be involved--think of the effect the news will have--I want you to deal with Joe's condition. She cuts off Joe's shirt, an act Barnabas also objects to, but Julia insists she has to clean the wound.
Joe mutters, "She has to see me!" Julia tells Barnabas to go get Maggie. Why? he asks. She explains that the will to live isn't just a romantic phrase; Joe says he wants to die, but keeps calling to Maggie. Barnabas reminds her of Maggie and Joe's break-up. Julia says that could be what caused the suicide attempt--a cry for help--he wants Maggie. Julia finishes cutting off the shirt and spots the fang marks on Joe's neck. I didn't know, says Barnabas says. I thought perhaps it was why you didn't want the police involved, suggests Julia. Barnabas claims to be as shocked as she--we can keep him here, he says--we can't tell the police, Julia agrees, adding that they now have a chance to perhaps learn who the vampire is--there have been no attacks in the village, so the vampire will have to come here to see Joe. Barnabas says they must keep guard. Joe starts calling for "her" again, and Julia again urges Barnabas to get Maggie. (We have a nice shot of Joe's bare chest.) Barnabas assures Joe he's going to get Maggie and bring her there. Julia wonders if it isn't Maggie Joe is asking for, but Barnabas says Joe loved Maggie very much, as though that explains a lot. Julia soberly surveys her patient.

Old House drawing room - Maggie is sobbing when Barnabas comes to the cottage and gives her the news--Joe wouldn't commit suicide, she cries--I can't believe he wanted to die. He did say it, Barnabas tells her. How could I have thought she knew him? laments Maggie--he's changed so much!--still, these things must have been in him before, when they were together, I never realized. "You couldn't," Barnabas says comfortingly. You're right, she says, but someone else might have seen these things and stopped it. Barnabas says perhaps something happened to him, something she couldn't control or help. Everyone has a darker side that only comes to light under certain circumstances, he explains. Maggie thinks he knows. . .Julia interrupts. She says Joe is conscious and tells Maggie how sorry she is--fortunately, Joe will live. Maggie asks to see him, alone. For a few moments, says Julia, in the room at the top of the stairs--hopefully, she can give Joe the will to live. Maggie heads upstairs. Barnabas asks Julia if she bandaged his neck, then says Maggie thinks she knows why Joe has changed so. "Perhaps you do, Barnabas, more than you admit," says Julia. (go, Julia, you suspect!) Barnabas just looks at her, guiltily not responding.

Maggie enters Josette's room and calls to Joe. He seems more himself, but turns his face away. Don't you want to see me? She asks. I don't want you to see me, he replies, despondent. What's happened? she asks miserably--I promised I wouldn't ask, I don't care what you did, you must get well! She moves around to look at him, telling him their lives are so much different than they ever thought or planned, but could still be good lives. I know that isn't true, says Joe bitterly. Have I done something? she asks--I must have, maybe a long time ago, something I don't know about or remember--please tell me if that's so! Joe assures her she did nothing. Someone did, she says, who?--that girl?--tell me!
He nods. Yes, he says, and she cries, anguished. "Joe. . .Joe!"

Joe is resting. Julia says tells Barnabas he should be all right in a few minutes. Barnabas tells her he sent Maggie home, feeling sorry for her. Julia says she found herself wanting to tell her, but couldn't tell her anything like THAT, so impossible to understand. Get some rest, she urges Barnabas--we must have a pistol with silver bullets in the room, in case she comes--I'm sure it's a woman.
Barnabas asks her why. Intuition, says Julia--I know who she is--perhaps Cassandra has come back from the dead. Barnabas laughs out loud at this idea. Julia is taken aback by his reaction. Barnabas was with Cassandra when she died, and Julia mustn't let her imagination carry her away--Cassandra didn't die because of a vampire, a subject Barnabas knows too well. Julia apologizes; she wants to find a solution so badly, she's willing to accept the idea of Cassandra coming back. Barn says she was right about one thing--this is their chance to catch whoever it is--Joe is here, he can't go to her, whoever it is must come to Joe. Barnabas calls first watch and tells Julia to get some rest--he'll alert her if there's any change.

3 AM - Joe awakens. Barnabas, sitting beside him, asks if he feels any better. Joe turns his face away. Barnabas reminds him he found him in the woods and brought him here. Joe says he didn't find him in the woods--I know where you found me--at HER house, Angelique's. Nervously, Barnabas glances at the door and warns Joe not to mention her name here. What were you doing at her house? demands Joe. Barnabas says he was there to see Nicholas, but Joe accuses him of lying. Don't be ridiculous, says Barnabas. They'd never have let you see him, says Joe, grabbing hold of Barnabas' collar and pulling it down. Spotting the telltale marks, he hisses, "You! You're the one she's left me for! Joe grabs him by the shoulders. "You. . .you! I'll KILL you!"

NOTES: Great episodes, folks, but even better are coming next week. Now that Angelique has tasted Barnabas' blood, nothing on earth, neither Nicholas' orders nor Joe's pleas, is going to sway her from her intended course. Did y'all get shivers over Nicholas' love scene with Maggie? That kiss wasn't much to write home about, was it? HAA is such a handsome guy, I wonder why he couldn't get her in the mood for a more passionate buss?

609 - (Nancy Barrett) - A new day at Collinwood, and a sharp wind blows from the ocean. And in a house overlooking the sea, one man tries to fight an emotion as strong and relentless as the waves themselves--love. Love for a woman who is denied him.

Adam sits at the desk in Blair house, writing a note, asking Harry if he saw Carolyn at Collinwood. Harry sarcastically replies that he isn't Adam, and seeing Carolyn isn't a major event in his life. Adam insists that he wants to know how Carolyn feels, how she looks. Like she always does, Harry responds, indifferent. Adam asks Harry to deliver a note to Carolyn for him. Harry remarks that Adam really DIGS her, but Adam insists she's only a friend. What about Eve and Nicholas? asks Harry. Adam sternly tells him Nicholas must not know about this letter; Carolyn must be alone when she receives it, and she's going to ask Harry where he is--but he must not tell her. Adam warns Harry not to read the letter. Harry assures him he won't. Give me her answer as quickly as you can, orders Adam. Eve enters, demanding to know what's in Harry's hand. He says it's nothing, but Eve looks suspiciously at Adam as Harry leaves. Is he cheating on her or something?
Adam tells her he was just talking to Harry, but she wants to know about the letter--then says it doesn't matter. Nicholas is gone, she notes. Eve looks out the window, remembering "days like this." Adam is puzzled, but he can't understand how she has memories at all. They were made, the two of them, yet Eve knows it's fall, knows the air outside will be sharp and clear, that sometimes trees have no leaves at all, while others, they are green. You shouldn't know all that, says Adam, we were both made, but that's all we share. Eve doesn't even remember how she knows the word fall. Adam has heard of it, and found is confusing--how did they name the season for the fact that leaves fall from the trees?--Stokes wouldn't have called it something as simple as fall. Eve isn't sure she would like Stokes, but Adam does, and he agrees she wouldn't. Eve wants to know how Adam met all these people--did Nicholas let him go out, anywhere he wanted? No, says Adam. You got out, she notes. Adam prefers not to think of those times. She accuses him of liking being a captive--but she wants to feel the wind, experience the smell of the ocean. She turns to go and he tells her not to--he wants her to stay, he wants them to talk. I know you, says Eve, and don't feel you have any surprises for me--it doesn't mean you aren't sweet and kind, she adds. He tells her today is going to be different--something he wants is going to happen and he wants her to stay--it's important, and Adam begs her to stay.

Collinwood - Harry has given Carolyn Adam's note on the terrace, explaining that Adam was in a real state, almost threatening him if he didn't bring her the note. Eagerly, Carolyn asks if he knows where Adam is. Harry denies knowing--he met him in the woods. Carolyn doesn't believe that. Adam was coming to Collinwood, says Harry, I asked if he was just going to knock at the door--Adam knows your room and can get in without anyone seeing him, so he was going to leave it there. Where in the woods did you meet him? insists Carolyn--I want to go to him with my answer. Harry says no, she must play it Adam's way.
All right, she agrees, I will--tell him the answer is yes, and Adam must be careful--tell him I'm very happy, she says, beaming.

Harry reports Carolyn's answer to Adam, who is thrilled. Was she pleased? asks Adam. Yes, says Harry, and this makes Adam happy. Nicholas must know nothing about this, Adam reminds him. He opens a door and calls to Eve. Harry says he's sure Nicholas wouldn't like what's going to happen, but Adam tells him to just go, he wants to be alone with Eve. Fine with me, says Harry, since you two aren't good company--you fight all the time, or haven't you noticed? Harry shakes his head at Adam before leaving the house. Eve comes out and tells Adam to stop calling her--she isn't his servant. I have marvelous news, says Adam, my surprise is going to happen. She's ecstatic to learn they're leaving the house. She asks about Nicholas, but Adam says he won't know. Do you have a plan? asks Eve, excited--do you have money? Is the trip all arranged? She's touching him, telling him they must be very clever and avoid Nicholas finding them, ever. He tells her they're going only to Collinwood, not away--we're going to see Carolyn Stoddard. Eve burst into laughter, seemingly insane for a moment. He shakes her, telling her to stop it, and he insists that they ARE going to meet Carolyn.

Terrace - Jeff checks his watch. Carolyn comes out and asks if Vicki know he's here. Yes, he says, but she isn't ready--I ought to learn to be an hour late, then I'd still be early. Carolyn giggles. He notes that she looks like she already has a date, given her new dress, and compliments her on how great she looks. Jeff looks out the gate and says he heard something. She thought so, but she's sure it's nothing. Nervous, she asks him to come into the house, but he wants to stay out here--we'd really like you to join us, he tells Carolyn, but she begs off. Jeff hears another sound and looks out the gate. He calls to Carolyn that he will come with her, but ducks behind some bushes, hiding. David peers in and opens the gate. Jeff comes out and accuses him of hiding from someone, but David refuses to tell him who. We're friends, says Jeff. David confesses that he isn't happy about Jeff marrying Vicki--you don't even know who you are, cries David, or where you came from--I've heard them talking. Jeff sits on the stone bench and assures David his marriage to Vicki won't mean she will stop loving him.
What good will that do if she's in Boston and I'm still here? demands David belligerently. Jeff says they might stay here, but David overheard Vicki tell Carolyn they might go away. Jeff assures him he can visit, but David doesn't like that. You've been to Boston dozens of times, says Jeff--you could show us around--Paul Revere, Bunker Hill--I want you to be our guide. Maybe YOU'VE been there, suggests David, and just don't remember (LOL!)--you might have been there when they fought the battle in 1776--I saw the tombstone in the graveyard, Peter Bradford's tombstone, David blathers, growing more and more excited--that's who Vicki thought you were when she met you in the past! Jeff grabs him, shakes him and tells him he's Jeff Clark--I only lived one time, right here in this life! He releases David, apologizing, but David pulls away from him. You're my friend, insists Jeff--please sit back down and I'll explain everything to you. Reluctantly, David sits down with him.

Carolyn waits in Adam's room, leafing through a book. The place is still a mess, but looks a little better. She seems very nervous about this meeting, but tells herself not to be. She's glad Adam has found someone. They must not be caught getting into the house. Should she have trusted Harry? She chides herself for acting like a little girl. Adam knocks at the door and enters, smiling. They're very happy to see each other. She asks about his friend, and Eve comes in. "I am here," she says disdainfully. Gazing at the redhead, Carolyn already looks unhappy.

"So you're Carolyn Stoddard," observes Eve, and Adam introduces them.
Eve ignores Carolyn's proffered hand at first, then finally shakes it. Adam has told me about your kindness, says Eve--is this where you kept him? I stayed here, yes, says Adam--there were many books, I used to read every night--Carolyn brought me food, we'd play cards. How exciting, observes Eve. Carolyn and I talked, adds Adam defensively--Carolyn has a very good mind. Yes, I'm sure she has, says Eve insincerely, wandering over to the window. Carolyn asks her not to, someone might see her. Adam urges Eve to be careful. Eve asks if they aren't allowed here. Carolyn reveals that her family never knew of Adam's presence. Adam again requests that Eve get away from the window. She nastily replies that while he might tell her where to go, he can't tell her where to look; she continues gazing outside.

Jeff is telling David he'll find out love is something he can't remember. When you're 16 you can really love somebody, then come back 10 years later and not even notice it. Honest? asks David. Yup, says Jeff--the story about Vicki and I meeting in the past--chances are, we wouldn't even love each other today.

Adam tries to urge Eve away from the window, but she orders him to let go of her and never touch her again. When Adam insists he's taking her home, she flinches away from him. I know the way home, she tells her intended--THIS is where you belong. "Good night, Miss Stoddard," she says, cruelly. Adam calls after her, but Eve is gone, and Carolyn looks as if she's going to burst into tears.

Jeff assures David he can't change Vicki into someone she isn't, so what are you worried about?--I was thinking about making you ring bearer at the wedding, but you probably wouldn't want to do that. Sure I would, says David. (This is cute--Jeff crosses his arms over his chest and David imitates him.. Jeff nudges David and says it's settled--Mr. Ring Bearer. They're both grinning. Jeff tells David if anyone says I'm not Jeff Clark, you'll know it's not true and you'll believe me. He asks David to go upstairs and tell Vicki she holds the record for the latest girl in town and to get downstairs or they will miss the whole night. David complies, leaving Jeff chuckling. Eve appears by the gate, staring at Jeff. She opens it and enters. Jeff stares at her. "Peter!" Eve cries. "Peter Bradford!"

NOTES: So, Eve knows Jeff or Peter or whoever? Yawn. . .

Cute scenes between Henesy and Davis in this ep. I read once that Davis was constantly ad-libbing, forcing his co-workers to follow along. I think he was doing that in this ep. Isn't David a bit old to be a ring bearer?

Was Carolyn upset because Eve seemed like such a bitch or because she has realized she wants Adam for herself? Eve is making it clear she has no interest in Adam at all, why doesn't he realize it? She's downright nasty to him! And she was mean to Carolyn, too. Somehow, you sense this can't possibly work out well--for anyone.

Love, Robin

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2002, 09:29:44 PM »
thanks once again to Robservations ~ our cable was off for the second time this week, so i have had to rely on the daily report to stay abreast of the story.

You were talking about Nick kissing Maggie in Thursday's show, not again today, right?

Thanks for the constant!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2002, 03:39:04 AM »
NOTES: So, Eve knows Jeff or Peter or whoever? Yawn. . .

I'm sure that "yawn" came from the point of view of someone who's seen this a number of times.  While I was never particularly wild about this aspect of the story, I'm sure from the standpoint of someone seeing it for the first time it would have to be a point of interest.

They "create" this woman, except we know that Nicholas has managed to get the spirit of Danielle Roget into her.  Unlike Barnabas and Adam, when both lived, "Danielle/Leona" died and the various memories of Eve indicate that the transfer did take place.

So, now she suddenly sees Jeff and recognizes him, but as Peter Bradford.  That would have to be a surprising twist to a first-timer, regardless of whether one likes or dislikes it and what comes of it.
Josette

DVD

DVD episodes for May 17th and 18th.
The 5th and 6th episodes on Set#10/Disc#4 (5th episode on MPI tape Volume #75, 1st episode on MPI tape Volume #76)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OOOHHH!  IT'S JOE HASKELL'S CLEAVAGE!!!

YUMMMY!!!!

*g* G.