Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1005  (Read 3219 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1005
« on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:32 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1005
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:09 AM »
So, now Cyrus is desperate to take the potion, despite the fact that taking it is not advancing the purpose of his experiment.  The only way I can make sense of this, at this point in the action, is to assume that Horace Gladstone's compound has made chemical changes in Cyrus's brain.  But it's quite a switch to see somebody eager to go through a painful transformation.

For some reason I found the scene with Quentin and Hannah in the attic room rather compelling.  I was aware that any supposedly supernatural occurrences were merely due to efforts on the part of the crew.  But I couldn't help thinking about how it would feel to be in a room where such things were happening.  It may have had something to do with the attic room itself.  It looked like the sort of place where such things might occur.

I'm puzzling over the exact circumstances of Dameon's death, which is a pleasure made possible by the fact that I can't remember exactly what we learn about it later.  (And I doubt that I'll remember even after this round of watching, too.  That's how it works for me with Dameon's death.)  I'm wondering if the reason that Dameon was walled up was that Trask felt it was necessary without knowing why it was necessary.  Maybe there is a cosmic law of conservation of Trasks that says that for every Trask who is walled up in our own time band, there is an equal and opposite walling up by a Trask in parallel time.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:59:43 AM »
I like that theory!

Of course you know why I think Cyrus wants to be Yaeger.   It's a problem, though, that Cyrus doesn't remember Yaeger's experiences.   Where's the motivation to black out and have lost time and possibly the police coming after you?   The memory difficulty may be over though.  I remember a conversation with Gladstone where he might have said so.   If he still can't remember, maybe he also forgets the pain, as off-duty werewolves sometimes do.

Speaking of memory, I have the same Dameon amnesia, Lydia.   Q shakes Dameon's uncorporeal form.   What did Q yell after his dream?   

Gladstone's bursting with fascination over the drug-- why?   It goes beyond curiosity.   It's almost as if his life's greatest sick desire awaits him, and he's trying to play it cool as he asks for information, but isn't pulling it off.   Gladstone doesn't strike me as someone who'd wait for a Purple Cow or whatever the pink version is called (the potion looks purple one day, pink the next) to do twisted things.  But maybe that's it...  he's too much of a passive, repressed weasel to do the things he wants to do, without chemical assistance.   [spoiler]Later on though, he's not so passive...?  I forget.[/spoiler]   Maybe his creepy demeanor comes from being full of "evil" impulses, with no way to vent them.

Q wants to summon a ghost who's always there and won't leave him alone!   A seance might make some sense, since DE would be able to speak, and not just in a dream.   Wait, who were they trying to contact in the original seance?

Nice lens shot of Cyrus's face.    Later... Yaeger pauses as he says "I don't give a ...."  and settles on not giving a "hoot".   The evil, the evil!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »
5/1/70 

I like the fact that each day we (usually get to see) Barnabas chained coffin as it I am sure helped those watching in real time remember what was going on as PT was a confusing storyline for a lot of folks and supposedly people kept diaries to keep up.  I also like how they have the coffin lit.

Well there is Dameon in Mr. Furley’s outfit!   ;) 
Did anyone notice that the camera zoomed in to close to the ceiling and we were privy to a stage light?   Hannah's eyebrows are drawn and arched to the heavens.

And now we are back to Cyrus Longworth.  Gladstone seems awfully eager to find out what is going on in this whole debacle.  Nice long camera shot as Cyrus lets Gladstone out.  The shot made Cyrus place look huge and we know it isn't!   Paula L's scream make me laugh out loud. They are up there with Grayson’s! 

I have to wonder what in the world Chris Pennock had to drink.  I am sure it probably wasn't gross but it looks gross to me. 
I really like the hidden room in the basement.  Hidden room and secret passageways fascinate me and I have always wanted a home with them.  I would love to visit the home of that wealthy lady (can't think of her name at the moment) who kept building because a medium told her to do that.  This version wasn't in regular time was it? 

Did anyone notice Barnabas portrait laying in the floor in the credits which I think had occurred the day before as well.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »
T-- When I was a kid (when these ep's were airing in fact), we lived for awhile in a 1940s house that had a walled-up staircase, walled up supposedly because they needed the entrance to put a refrigerator in.   I managed to climb up on something outside and look into the window at it.   No bodies but then it was an awkward position and I didn't get a good look...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 05:17:45 AM »
I would love to visit the home of that wealthy lady (can't think of her name at the moment) who kept building because a medium told her to do that.

Are you referring to the Winchester house. http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

There are UTube video's didn't want o watch them all. But they are there.

I wonder how the designers came up with all the secret rooms. I wonder how they designed
them.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:28:32 AM »
I had a zine in storage that had an article in it. The zine featured a section called is there a COLLINWOOD IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD and that is how I found out about it back in the days of books and no internet!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:19 AM »
Is that the Rose Red house that Stephen King wrote about?

OK. I am still baffled as to how many men Angelique entertained and whether or not Quentin knew about these trysts.

The name Gladwell does not suit this man. Sorrypit would have been better. Ew, this man just gives me the heebie jeebies. I keep telling myself that this was an actor, he may have have children that loved him...

Maybe that concoction that Cyrus is drinking is cherry Coke mixed with baking soda. Maybe someone attending this year's Fest will ask him.

Hannah - the lipstick... it's sort of a shade of rusty Oldsmobile. Lose it, babe.

I am loving the creepy music in these eps. House on Haunted Hill creepy, Vincent Price stuff. Love it.

Ah, the 70's. Matching shirts and ties. No. Wait a minute. The color just came back. But I'm not sure what colors.

Question of the day for all you amateur med examiners out there - how long does it take for a body to become a skeleton? Just when did Angelique have Dameon Killed?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
Is that the Rose Red house that Stephen King wrote about?

Yep, the Winchester House was an inspiration for RR.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »
Question of the day for all you amateur med examiners out there - how long does it take for a body to become a skeleton? Just when did Angelique have Dameon Killed?
Here's something I cut and pasted and squirreled away from some website (I can't remember where it was) a few months ago:

"But within a year all that is usually left is the skeleton and teeth, with traces of the tissues on them - it takes 40 to 50 years for the bones to become dry and brittle in a coffin. In soil of neutral acidity, bones may last for hundreds of years, while acid peaty soil gradually dissolves the bones."

In episode 994, Quentin was talking to Trask about Dameon Edwards, and they agreed that Dameon stopped coming to Collinwood around a year ago.  But I figure it was closer to 18 months because I didn't notice any traces of tissues on that skeleton.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 01:17:35 PM »
I assume that is for someone who hasn't been embalmed and obviously D wasn't!   However I know people embalmed and put in a vault last much longer than a year because I have seen a exhumed body before thanks to the local mortician who in my small town everyone knew.  Stuff like that has never bothered me so I decided to look at the photos. The man had been under ground for 25 years and looked perfectly fine.  It was very weird but I guess death and things of that nature have never bothered me.  When I spotted my first mausoleum at 7 I begged my parents to stop (in the rain no less) to get out and explore it.  We did!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »
However I know people embalmed and put in a vault last much longer than a year because I have seen a exhumed body before thanks to the local mortician who in my small town everyone knew.  Stuff like that has never bothered me so I decided to look at the photos. The man had been under ground for 25 years and looked perfectly fine.  It was very weird but I guess death and things of that nature have never bothered me.  When I spotted my first mausoleum at 7 I begged my parents to stop (in the rain no less) to get out and explore it.  We did!

Hey, I learned something interesting about you today!   So, did the mortician invite the townsfolk 'round for cocktails, then pull dead people out of the drawers and do show 'n' tell?   And how long after death does the skeleton become bright green, and develop that neat horizontal split across the forehead?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 03:14:55 AM »
NO! Only my dad, the undertaker's colleagues and I were privy to the PHOTOS as I didn't actually see a body up close and personal. That I could not handle!  It was at my uncle's wake.  It  actually made me feel good to know that my loved ones would be sealed off from harm.  Maybe I shouldn't have told as I hope no one will think I am freakish! However hopefully this explained the situation better. 

Back on point! 

I agree with you Janet on the creepiness of the music. They definitely stepped the pace up on the music! I added so much to the atmosphere!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 05:32:19 AM »
NO! Only my dad, the undertaker's colleagues and I were privy to the PHOTOS as I didn't actually see a body up close and personal. That I could not handle!  It was at my uncle's wake.  It  actually made me feel good to know that my loved ones would be sealed off from harm.  Maybe I shouldn't have told as I hope no one will think I am freakish! However hopefully this explained the situation better. 

I was impressed that you could (it seemed) handle death and bodies so well, to the point of being unphased by it all.   I actually found myself thinking about that later.   I started to envy that ability... it would make the far future much easier to take, and ponder, for one thing.   As for supposed freakishness.... look where you are!   We're DS fans, so that ship just might have sailed already!    Embrace it!!   Let your freak flag fly, out the window so [spoiler]the zombies know to come in and mess up Collinwood![/spoiler]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
LOL M [spoiler]about the zombies!  [/spoiler]