Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1000  (Read 1612 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1000
« on: May 14, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1000
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
Four digits!!  Hurrah!!   This is sort of a.... milestone, isn't it?

Lacy VO.  I like how his voice is just slightly raspy and stressed, to make him a true Trask, yet servile and unmaniacal.    The coffin's opened...  and it's PT Paul Stoddard frowning!   No....   They're astonished at the phenom of body preservation.

There is absolutely no logic to the idea of burning the body.   They're all freaking in unison, and want to make the bad, confusing thing go away.

I think they hired PT Trask 'cause he's just so very good with kids.

Here comes a very sad moment.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
Four digits!!  Hurrah!!   This is sort of a.... milestone, isn't it?
Yes and no.  It's not the thousandth episode, since there were several pre-emptions.  But it's still something.

Was that Jenny's gravestone by the door to the mausoleum?

Now that it has been revealed for certain that Alexis is Alexis, I feel free to say how much I like Lara Parker's performance as the good twin.  It's very low key, quite different from her standard Angelique performance, and Alexis's goodness shines out.  In our own time band, Angelique's evil was in contrast with Josette's goodness and uprightness.  In parallel time, Angelique's evil (I think I can say that without spoilers: it takes evil to contemplate destroying your twin sister) is in contrast with Alexis's goodness, but I don't see uprightness in Alexis.  There are doubts all along the way.  Poor thing, linked in a twinly way with a somebody like Angelique.  Her life must have been very strange.  She had friends from whom she could hitch a ride from Italy across the Atlantic, and apparently she didn't have to worry about taking a leave of absence from a job - and yet she seemed always to think of herself as the lesser twin.

So the two pages that Amy found in Will's wastebasket just happened to give a general idea of his new book instead of stupid little details like "Painstaking research on my part has uncovered the fact Barnabas Collins was baptized three days after his birth, not two."  Right.

It looks as though Will does not believe Barnabas's story about coming from a parallel time band.  I can't really blame Will on that; it's an unlikely story.  But how is Will going to reconcile the lives of the two Barnabas Collinses?  I don't see how it can be done.  Obviously Will's answer is that the story of Barnabas Collinses marrying Josette and dying decades later is a lie, but there has to be documentary evidence of Barnabas's life in this time band that would prove that the story of Barnabas becoming a vampire is a lie.  I get the impression that Will is quite intelligent when he's not drunk, but he's going to have trouble making his latest book work.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:30 AM »
I thought Will had decided that the public just wouldn't buy the idea of ... RT.   But a vampire?   You're right, Will couldn't just rewrite the history and say it's true, so I expect him to "admit" to its being a sort of historical novel, a fictional variant of the real story.   

I was just thinking that it's strange to see Alexis all that time almost sure she's Angelique somehow, in some way, then having her identity confirmed [spoiler]so late.[/spoiler]   We have to backdate out sympathies.   Alexis really is a likeable, good person, and was put through so much, and we have to sympathize retroactively.   It makes one feel guilty, doesn't it?

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:57 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »

4/24/70

I wonder if the cast and crew celebrated the milestone even though isn't technically the 1000 ep. 

“I must go on no matter what the spell!” Quentin That line just sounds really odd to me. 
“It’s been the most astonishing thing I've ever seen in my life!” Cyrus “Dead over six month and yet the body's perfectly preserved!” Hmm…This is a sort of of gross story but the hometown mortician showed me pics of a man who was dug up after 15 years and he looked the same.  I saw many shots.  Death, dying etc. has never bothered me so I was game.  So I don't really get the whole shock of the body being perfectly preserved!  If one is embalmed after six months only I would doubt much would change especially if one was buried in a tomb and not in the ground.  The whole thing confuses me unless she wasn't embalmed.  Kudos to Lara Parker and everyone who worked on this episode as they did a great job editing and acting and the cuts are pretty seamless for 1970!

Could you act a little more suspicious Trask??  “There’s an evil presence here sir!”  NOW Trask is acting like himself! 

As I have said before the color palette of PT is just so fun and arousing to the senses!  Alexis dress is really peach and  goes well with the colorful event! “She kept saying all the time she could come back from the death!” LOL  Great blooper!  I love the way CP uses his hands to make Cyrus so much different than Jeb.  Have they said where Daniel is?  Of course we know DH is filming HODS!

I thought the plotting for getting Amy to the LOOMIS house to find out something wasn't right was good.  Amy sure is nosey in every band of time though.  It seems that October 1965 was when William H Loomis wrote THE LIFE and DEATH of BARNABAS COLLINS. 

Alexis dear do you really think visiting your sisters tomb and opening a coffin as a storm is brewing is really a good idea?  Storms are always a bad sign!!  Love the music that starts playing as she enters—creeptastic!  Did anyone besides me notice the pulse point in LP’s neck pumping like crazy!  LIVE TV got her nerves going!  Talk about pressure! Once again kudos to the crew for the great job on these scenes!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:27 AM »
Denice Nickerson, did a fantastic job today. Jerry Lacy did a fantastic job with her.
I wonder how much of it was Nickerson, shaking herself.

I have been noticing very much about the colors that they have been using is very
bright and colorful also. Colorful set, but a very dark story. The writers getting
everyone believing Alexis, then we have the ending scene.

I didn't notice the graves, just that the one stone was really close. I wonder if they
are running out of room in PT, I wonder if they had to move some graves to put in
the crypt.

Also wondering if Angelique influenced Cyrus to do the work that he is doing now?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:52:00 AM »
Lacy VO.  I like how his voice is just slightly raspy and stressed, to make him a true Trask, yet servile and unmaniacal.

Did you notice Trask's speech? He is saying "ya" instead of "you". Totally different character. Jerry Lacy is superb. He brings forth a totally different character to life. It may be only the role of a butler, but sometimes those are the best roles.

OK. So how is it that Quentin gets along so much better with Amy than he does with his own kid?

And how about Amy playing a sneaking little thief? "I found this is Uncle Will's waste basket." What in the Sam Hill are you doing snooping around a man's trash?

I enjoyed the spooky music at the end there. Nice touch.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:25:43 AM »
Amy to Quentin:  "I don't want to go back to the Willis House."
A rare Denise Nickerson blooper

Was that Jenny's gravestone by the door to the mausoleum?
Yes it was.

I wonder how much of it was Nickerson, shaking herself.
I wondered that too (leave it to the 2 nurses to comment on it), and hope that at the very least she was making her own head snap back and forth.  But even if she was, I doubt an actor could shake a child like that today.

Amber Brie was the stand-in creating the illusion that Alexis and Angelique were occasionally on screen together.  And Lara Parker scored 2 separate credits at the end.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the extra info Midnite! :)  Good to see your posts! ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »
 :-*