Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0998  (Read 1736 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0998
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:51 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0998
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:00:27 AM »
Cyrus has returned from his latest adventure as John Yaeger.  I think he doesn't remember anything, but maybe he's just being careful.  He says John Yaeger will be around again, which doesn't prove that he wants to be John Yaeger (especially if he can't remember anything) but rather that he thinks there is still knowledge to be gained.

Dameon Edwards appears to be gaining power.  First we saw him, but he didn't say anything.  Then we heard him, though we didn't see him.  Now we've seen him and heard him at the same time, and he's started a fire.  I was surprised when the fire turned out to be real.  I thought it would be an illusion the way the fire in Vicky's room was, years and years ago.  But Cyrus saw it, and he helped Bruno put it out.  I suppose the powers of ghosts have to be escalated in order to create escalating drama, but I am intrigued as to why and how the powers escalate in the enclosed universe of Dark Shadows.

Bruno's gone round the bend, and we're back to the 1897 setup of a guy murdering a blond woman to see whether or not she's dead.  Always a sound idea, both on the part of the writers and on the part of any given character.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:54 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »
I thought that maybe Bruno's fire was happening in the same room, with the same corrodor and corridor window outside, that Jamison and sister's did in 1897, where Barnabas saved them.   Probably just a similar arrangement of rooms.

Sabrina: "Cyrus... now that we are alone... I hope that you will tell me what really happened after you left here that other night!"   This just may be the most unnaturally-read line I've ever heard an actor speak, with the possible exception of every line of Sky Rumson's.

Alexis is so gracefully and magnetically spooked by silence in the house, having to reveal every bit of her spookedness to Q verbally.   She exhudes personality, yet is a scaredy-cat.   In bad storylines, DS strains to convince understandably fickle viewers that lots of scariness is going on, by having characters go on and on and on about how very utterly mortified they are, especially when nothing's actually happening!   It's a fatal writing flaw, and I'm sticking to that even though I can't point to any bit of learning I've ever had on the subject.   I'm an audience member who's been screwed with a couple dozen times too often, that qualifies me to speak!

What happened to the days when someone would see you'd been through something, and offered you a drink, because you "need it"?   What a perfect host Cyrus is, even to Bruno!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:40:55 AM »
I need a drink after watching this episode.

OK. I dig the antidote thing. But how is Yaeger able to transform back to Cyrus in record time? My god, it takes longer to tie a tie than it would for him to become Cyrus, never mind the change of clothes. Where did he go? What, is he Superman? Forgive me, but I never did get it that Clark Kent was able to transform back and forth to Superman. What did he do with his clothes? Where did he keep them?

Anyway, I thought it was cool that Pennock batted his eyelashes when he asked, "What do you mean?"

And dig Alexis. She's wearing a Vicky outfit. Frumpy from stem to stern.

EMERGENCY! FIRE! What does Cyrus do? Like any able bodied scientist, he points a finger to the sky and comes up with an idea - smother it! Very scientific.

I am of the opinion that the most screen time in the PT storyline goes to the little black and white bunny.

Mention of Maggie here. You know, I was thinking about this and I don't know if it's me, or what. But if I just got hitched to a guy, found out his family was nuts, yeah - maybe I'd run as far away as I could, but I think I would try to make some sort of compromise. I mean, if I really loved the guy...
She's been gone too long, HODS notwithstanding.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
What, is he Superman? Forgive me, but I never did get it that Clark Kent was able to transform back and forth to Superman. What did he do with his clothes? Where did he keep them?
Cape pouch   [ghost_smiley]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:18:46 PM »
The movie make this part of the show a little bit lame.

I wonder what the story would have been like if they were not making
the movie.

It would have been nice if they could have done some outdoor scenes that
they could have matched with the TV show. This way they might have had
the stars still available.

I know in the interview they talk about filming some portions of the show before
they did the whole show.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 01:28:01 AM »
I Watched 998 again, one thing that I noticed this time that I didn't last time.

I think Cyrus likes be Yeager. I think he likes being a wild and crazy guy. I think
that he like being the person that is mean and doesn't always act the way he
should.  Cyrus, sometimes seams like he is in a straight jacket, he is really holding
himself in.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »
That's my take.  I don't know the original Jeckyl Hyde story apart from the cliches, but I imagine that that was what it was all about, the stiff repression of an intellectual, and the uncontrollable, unconscious yearning inside to break free of it and "live".   What do you mean, "live", you ask?   You have to hurt people to "live"?   Well, not in a healthy "normal" (I hate that word and concept) life, but if you push too many of your feelings under, the pressure might accumulate, until it explodes in a very unhealthy way.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 06:24:37 AM »
Yaeger tells Quentin that he and Cyrus have known each other a very short time, but since he seems to possess Cyrus' memories, you'd think Yaeger would know that Cyrus told a different story to Sabrina not long ago-- that the two men were old friends-- and it's not out of the realm of possibility that Quentin and Sabrina could compare notes on what they've been told.

Despite the ugly yellow shirt and striped tie, I really like Quentin in the dark blue sports jacket.

After he phoned Jennifer from Collinwood, the number on the dial reads Collinsport 4099, which is the same number we saw on the phone in Cyrus' lab.

Nitpicky much, Midnite?

Alexis lets out a loud scream, and does it again in the following ep, so that makes 8 eps in a row (by airdate) with a female character screaming for one reason or another, and WTH is up with that??!

In Bruno's bedroom at Cyrus' house, a CD Tate landscape hangs above the fireplace (in RT, the same painting was identified as a Tate by Stokes but was a 60s work by Harrison Monroe).  So do we assume it's a Tate in PT too, and if so, who was his PT "Amanda" that caused him to stop painting portraits?

Great comments, all!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
I am of the opinion that the most screen time in the PT storyline goes to the little black and white bunny.

And it plays its part brilliantly. It's really too bad that it passed away before the DS conventions began because I'm sure it would have been extremely popular at them. Fans would have surely been willing to stand in line for hours on end to get its autograph! [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
Despite the ugly yellow shirt and striped tie, I really like Quentin in the dark blue sports jacket.

I have news for all you people that make fun of Quentin's wardrobe from this storyline: a lot of the things he wears, including that color of yellow shirt, are coming back in style. I was in JC Penny and Van Heusen this past Monday and saw dozens and dozens of them. (Madras plaid was also everywhere is sight.)

Can the burnt orange plaid jacket be far behind?

After he phoned Jennifer from Collinwood, the number on the dial reads Collinsport 4099, which is the same number we saw on the phone in Cyrus' lab.

Cyrus couldn't afford his own phone because of all the expense of his experiment, so Quentin had him tapped into Collinwood's line.  [wink2]

Alexis lets out a loud scream, and does it again in the following ep, so that makes 8 eps in a row (by airdate) with a female character screaming for one reason or another, and WTH is up with that??!

See my previous explanation in the Ep #997 topic.  ;)

In Bruno's bedroom at Cyrus' house, a CD Tate landscape hangs above the fireplace (in RT, the same painting was identified as a Tate by Stokes but was a 60s work by Harrison Monroe).  So do we assume it's a Tate in PT too, and if so, who was his PT "Amanda" that caused him to stop painting portraits?

The better question is where is his PTAmanda and why isn't she part of the storyline? Oh, yeah - Donna McKechnie was still on Broadway. Oh, well. But just think of how much fun it could have been to have had her around if McKechnie had been available - particularly because she could scream with the best of them...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
I have news for all you people that make fun of Quentin's wardrobe from this storyline: a lot of the things he wears, including that color of yellow shirt, are coming back in style. I was in JC Penny and Van Heusen this past Monday and saw dozens and dozens of them.

Noooooooooo!

just think of how much fun it could have been to have had her around if McKechnie had been available - particularly because she could scream with the best of them...

Quit while you're behind MB.   [ghost_angry]

[ghost_wink]