Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0996  (Read 2769 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0996
« on: May 10, 2010, 07:39:27 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0996
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
I kept getting distracted by things that didn't make sense today.

Why, in the Dark Shadows universe, was the Eagle practically empty?  I know why, in our universe, it had to be empty: so that John Yaeger could threaten Buffy with impunity, and also so the cost of extras would not be incurred.  But in the Dark Shadows universe, why was the bar that Will Loomis likes so much practically empty?  That distracted me all the way through the episode.

We were apparently supposed to gather that the alley where Quentin came across Steve, the guy whom John Yaeger was beating up, was on the way from Collinwood to Cyrus Longworth's house, where we had been told Quentin was headed.  If Cyrus lived that far away, why didn't Quentin drive?

And I was surprised to learn that Quentin felt Cyrus was worth consulting.  Cyrus appears to be one of the thousand and one men who were under Angelique's spell, so he would have been her friend, not Quentin's, and furthermore Cyrus and Bruno seem to be pretty good friends, of a sort, which would have been all the more reason for Quentin not to want anything to do with Cyrus.  But Quentin thought Cyrus's opinion was worth having, despite the quarrel they had the other day over the question of whether Angelique was murdered or not.  I just don't get it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:16:19 AM »
I remember Cyrus as Q's friend.  I'll guess that Ang knew him because of that, and then the shenanigans started.   I've never used the word "shenanigans" before.  I don't think it's really for me.   Anyway, Ang is said to have funded him, but that probably needed some agreement from Q if it was a significant sum, so it may have come from both of them.  I still don't know what she/they saw in the research.

Cyrus rationalizes to self while drinking the potion about bringing out Man's best... but does any part of him really expect the drink to transform him into a saint?   What would saintly Cyrus think about the experiment?   What saintly activities would he go off and do?   Would the police be calling him the next day to be on the lookout for a stranger with a putty nose, who's taken to staying at church almost all night so the minister can't go home, stuffing beggars with gourmet dinners?   More seriously, is that really a likely motivation for Cyrus to do all this work... is he really concerned about being even nicer than he is?   No.   He wants to silence his conscience so he can do evil and enjoy it.   Good God, that's repressed.

The green psychodelic video effect actually does make it look like a transition.   The tense music when Trask and Alexis meet, was that all about past Trask/Ang relationships?   I like how they expect viewers to have long memories.   I'd love to have this Trask with the usual booming voice and delivery, only he's just polishing Q's shoes or something!   Maybe preachy too, only about what shoes look better....  wingtips are the work of the Devil, maybe....!

Sorry, but after Yeager talked on and on to himself about how evil he is (instead of actually doing anything) compared to Cyrus and then left, I was convinced he was on his way to a tiddly winks competition.   It's not the acting.  You just can't be evil standing around in a room for five minutes talking to yourself!

JY teaches lessons by strangling people.   Maybe he learned that from PT Maria Montessori.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:22:38 AM »
I've never used the word "shenanigans" before.
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.   [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
I remember Cyrus as Q's friend.  I'll guess that Ang knew him because of that, and then the shenanigans started.   I've never used the word "shenanigans" before.  I don't think it's really for me.   Anyway, Ang is said to have funded him, but that probably needed some agreement from Q if it was a significant sum, so it may have come from both of them.  I still don't know what she/they saw in the research.
Angelique was able to give Bruno the cottage without Quentin even knowing about it, so I figure she could give Cyrus a sizable amount of money without Quentin's consent.  As for what she saw in the research...if a simple séance interested her, why shouldn't Cyrus's research?

Cyrus rationalizes to self while drinking the potion about bringing out Man's best... but does any part of him really expect the drink to transform him into a saint?   What would saintly Cyrus think about the experiment?   What saintly activities would he go off and do?   Would the police be calling him the next day to be on the lookout for a stranger with a putty nose, who's taken to staying at church almost all night so the minister can't go home, stuffing beggars with gourmet dinners?   More seriously, is that really a likely motivation for Cyrus to do all this work... is he really concerned about being even nicer than he is?   No.   He wants to silence his conscience so he can do evil and enjoy it.   Good God, that's repressed.
I don't agree with you Magnus, and I don't see any evidence to support your opinion.  What am I missing?  It is possible that Cyrus knew that the capacity to do evil existed inside him, but if that's the case, then I think he more likely wanted to destroy that capacity.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:19:07 AM »
But Cyrus isn't trying to bring out man's best, is he? I thought he was trying to prove that there are two sides to a man - good and evil.

Anyway, Cyrus' potion reminds me of that Jello product that was 1/3 Jello. 1/3 foam, and 1/3 whipped topping substance. Or was it My-T-Fine?

So this potion not only grows a black mustache, it dyes your hair black as well. Only your hairdresser knows for sure, girls.

But Chris Pennock is great here. He really is.

Love the sticky note on the bottle of Karo syrup - Do Not Touch!

Inept bar fight alert!

Is it any wonder that the Black Pearl wants no notoriety where DS is concerned?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »
As best I can figure out, Cyrus's official position is usually not anti-evil.   He's (intermittently) pretty unjudgmental and even-handed about good and evil.   He's talked about not only setting Good free from the influence of Evil, but vice versa, freeing Evil from the constraints of Good.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:40 PM »
The screen captures have finally been added to the Robservations for this ep.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »
4/20/70

It is stated in the companion I think that many people started making diaries to keep up with the storyline? Did any of you guys do this?  I used to know a woman in fandom who did.  Yeager is a very hairy man. I am not opposed to hair but his looks gross…..like grossly evil.  EVIL HAIR!  LOL That nose is hysterical.  HEH!  Sorry Vincent! 

Wow it's good to see a Trask again but this time as a butler and not trying to burn people at the stake!  How fitting that in this time he is a servant to the Collins family.  I don't know if he a good person or not though. Time will tell.  An extra….hmmm….and a woman who looks like the southern Leviathan I wonder what her story is? LOL! That glass broke and not on cue. Another classic blooper!  Wonder if the extra “patron” was stunt man.  John looks taller somehow.  Perhaps CP wore lifts when he played this role. 

They sure are working David Selby hard but I am enjoying him immensely although this Q can annoy the hell out of a person!
Trask is acting suspicious wonder what his story is.  He is a Trask probably nothing good!  I do like Jerry Lacy’s three piece suit as it is very nice.  I love the sting played after Yeager give Buffie the waitress Slayer her check. BOM BOM! Side note:  Did any Buffy fans know Buffy was gonna be called Rhonda the Immortal Waitress at first!??  Hmm…coincidence?  I know Joss has never said either way if he liked DS!  Buffie used to work for  the Collins family. Hmm….

Is this supposed to be the scene where the non fake can makes them both sweaty and scared! 
I guess the Eagle has a back door? 

Steve was played by George Strus! Good to see an extra.  Glad I had something to say about this episode!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:38 AM »
Anyway, Cyrus' potion reminds me of that Jello product that was 1/3 Jello. 1/3 foam, and 1/3 whipped topping substance. Or was it My-T-Fine?

I think it was called whip and chill. I don't think they make it any more. I wonder
what chemicals was in it.

Maybe Cyrus wanted some excitement in his life. Maybe he just wanted to bring out
a backbone.

Here is a thought I wonder if the chemical concoction, make Bruno and Angelique
nice people.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »
I am sorry I just couldn't resist this.  [ghost_shocked]

3/4 cup boiling water
1 small box gelatin, any flavor
1/2 cup cold water
Ice cubes
1/2 cup thawed Cool Whip

Pour boiling water into blender. Add gelatin. Cover and blend at low speed until gelatin is completely dissolved, about 30 seconds. Combine cold water and ice cubes to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to gelatin and stir until ice is partially melted. Add Cool Whip; blend at high speed for 30 seconds. Pour into dessert
glasses. Chill.

Can you imagine Mrs Johnson trying to make Whip in Chill
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:35 AM »
Can you imagine Mrs Johnson trying to make Whip in Chill
You can bet she would use fresh Cool Whip.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 12:57:47 AM »
And I was surprised to learn that Quentin felt Cyrus was worth consulting.  Cyrus appears to be one of the thousand and one men who were under Angelique's spell, so he would have been her friend, not Quentin's, and furthermore Cyrus and Bruno seem to be pretty good friends, of a sort, which would have been all the more reason for Quentin not to want anything to do with Cyrus.  But Quentin thought Cyrus's opinion was worth having, despite the quarrel they had the other day over the question of whether Angelique was murdered or not.  I just don't get it.

I don't remember the name of the character, (who would be equivalent of Cyrus),but don't forget, the *main* 'rip-off' of 1970PT is 'Rebecca'.

The man in 'Rebecca' who oversees the estate, I guess that's the equivalent to Cyrus. Let's not forget there's hints of some sort of 'tensions' between 'the man' and Rebecca.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 10:01:08 AM »
Patti, that sounds to me more like Chris Collins than Cyrus Longworth.  Maybe, however, the original idea was for Quentin to want to talk to Chris, and then maybe it was decided not to involve Chris because Don Briscoe was looking as though he might not be entirely reliable.  But that is pure speculation on my part.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 06:31:12 AM »
I didn't notice until the transformation scene was replayed that Pennock moves the large brick column twice while slamming into it.

JY:  "Yaeger, you have style. You've got more than style, you've got flair."
She had style, she had flair, she was there. That's how she became the Nanny.

Another Joe Caldwell script and yet another terrified woman-- Buffie-- is screaming.  I believe that's 5 in a row.

The phone in Cyrus lab has the number Collinsport 4099, which is Collinwood's number in RT.

I kept getting distracted by things that didn't make sense today.

Excellent questions there, Lydia. [thumb]

And I was surprised to learn that Quentin felt Cyrus was worth consulting.

I thought it was the general consensus that Cyrus was fascinated by the occult.  He denied it when Bruno asked about it, but isn't it the reason he led the seance for Angelique?

So this potion not only grows a black mustache, it dyes your hair black as well. Only your hairdresser knows for sure, girls.

Loved the blonde shock peeking out at the neck.

Wonder if the extra “patron” was stunt man.

If you mean George Strus as Steve, I do think he was a stuntman too.

Is this supposed to be the scene where the non fake can makes them both sweaty and scared!

I was thinking about that story too, and wondering which cane he had.  Both actors were so good that I found it hard to tell if her anxiety or his intensity were real or not.