Author Topic: Twilight-free Vampire Movie Marathon  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight-free Vampire Movie Marathon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »
Interesting choices.  I personally can't believe they included schlock such as Fright Night (albeit Roddy McDowall is fab) and that Tarantino thing, but not a single one of the Christopher Lee Dracula films.  The first and last ten minute segments of 1958's Horror of Dracula pivotally re-defined the genre.  Vampires with bristling fangs?  Thank Hammer studios.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 08:36:20 PM »
I guess it is more anti twilight than substance. The suggested rims are OK but it's just another list and who knows how someone comes up with a list. It does certainly make for good debates. It is always good to see DS films in a positive light.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »
Horror of Dracula should have made the list (even Dan Curtis knew to steal from it), but I am always up for watching Fright Night!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:44 PM »
Midnite that was one funny line about DC lol and you are right about House of Dracula

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 03:45:44 AM »
I think it's great that HODS is even included on this list, and I agree that some of the Hammer films should have been included, too--possibly even it meant NOT including HODS (I know, I know...so stone me!)  But really, "Fright Night" is a classic and deserves to be on the list, and I can think of any number of other films that I would rather see than a few of the ones mentioned -- John Carpenter's "Vampires" comes to mind.  Also "Shadow of the Vampire."  In my opinion... [ghost_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 04:43:55 AM »
I love FRIGHT NIGHT! Such great campy fun!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »
This list has right what is wrong with every other list, but has wrong what is right with every other list.   [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
Fright Night is a great one T. Saw that in the theater many moons ago. Time to update my Netflix que!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:04 AM »
Horror of Dracula absolutely needs to be on this list.  Its absence is a glaring omission.

I like Fright Night.  It's a fun flick, and I absolutely love Roddy McDowall's Peter Vincent.  
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 01:41:52 AM »
I've known that I have to see "Fright Night" someday, ever since Steely Dan referred to it in "Gaslighting Abby" (2000-- "We'll do a Fright Night, with blood and everything").   Still haven't seen it.  

Hammer.... I decided years and years ago that Brits just couldn't do horror.   I remember gore substituting for subtleties of horror.   But then, I'm only film-oriented as of the last 5 years or so and need to reappraise many films and genres, and look forward to doing so (I've started with Horror Express Penny D), if the VHS clearance sales go on and the VCR don't bite it.   I did get mad at a film where Peter Cushing cut a guy's limb off to save him for a stupid reason.  It happened with little thought in someone's driveway, or something.   Granted this is possibly a 30-year-old memory.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »
MT missed the SD reference in that song... Do the Dan!!!! Just watched the live DVD last week. 2 Against Nature no less... Fright Night will be so worth your while... Roddy is awesome in that movie. Almost playing himself in the post-actor role. Love it. Love it!!!

RQ.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »
MT missed the SD reference in that song... Do the Dan!!!! Just watched the live DVD last week. 2 Against Nature no less...

Two Against Nature's brilliant!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:00:05 PM »
OT, but since the original was discussed...

Nicky passed along this link about a Fright Night remake now in pre-production, with David Tennant (yay!) stepping into Roddy McDowall's shoes:  http://perezhilton.com/2010-06-09-mclovin-doctor-who-join-fright-night

Not mentioned there-- the script was written by Buffy's Marti Noxon ( [ghost_happy]) and will be set in Las Vegas ( [ghost_huh]).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46:02 AM »
A remake!?  Hmmm....I love Marti so hope it will be good!  I do love the original very much though! 

***My 2000Th post****

I look forwarded to being a God!  We are Gods! Gods are we!  We he he are as Gods!  LOL   Since Marti was referenced I had to reference a hysterical Buffy moment and the fact that I am gonna be a God soon!  I am on my way. [ghost_smiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/