Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0987  (Read 2510 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0987
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0987
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:57:57 AM »
Is Quentin, still in love with Angelique, it is getting kind of lame for everyone accusing Alexis of being Angelique.

But if she is staying in Angelique's room, wearing her clothes, playing her music, isn't she continuing the idea.

Gladstone does remind me of a mad scientist. I wonder how long it took them to work out the movie and t.v. show?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:28 AM »
I guess the 1967 RT Barnabas portrait that can't exist in PT represents Barnabas and his isolation.   Ang is buried in the mausoleum!  ...but not in the secret room.   Written by Joe Caldwell-- did someone say he replaced Violet Welles?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:48 AM »
I guess the 1967 RT Barnabas portrait that can't exist in PT represents Barnabas and his isolation.
Yes.  I actually like the way the portrait of Barnabas is used to keep him fresh in our minds while Jonathan Frid is off making a movie (and looking very handsome in it, too, by the way).

I'll bet that if Barnabas went to Cyrus - if only he could - and told him he wanted to be cured of his affliction, Cyrus would be fascinated by the problem.  I can't remember if we ever get to see Cyrus and Julia meet, but it seems to me they ought to get along like a house afire.

It looks as though Bruno won't be extracting any price from Cyrus for getting Angelique's little red book, so that would be why I couldn't remember what the price was.  I liked the conversation between Cyrus and Bruno today.  Not much accomplished, just talking.

We got a kissless engagement scene between Cyrus and Sabrina, and Sabrina apparently wasn't at all bothered by it.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »
I'll bet that if Barnabas went to Cyrus - if only he could - and told him he wanted to be cured of his affliction, Cyrus would be fascinated by the problem.  I can't remember if we ever get to see Cyrus and Julia meet, but it seems to me they ought to get along like a house afire.

Julia would have her hands full.  I think that would be more interesting than they way things turned out.

[spoiler]Cyrus and Julia never meet. He died and she came on the scene. Just think if she had to deal with Barnabas, Cyrus and Angelique. She would be a star.[/spoiler]

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
Written by Joe Caldwell-- did someone say he replaced Violet Welles?

Yes.  Curtis invited him back after Welles officially left.  He also wrote the previous ep, btw.  Caldwell is also a favorite of mine for the atmospheric touches in his voiceovers and dialogue.

He began officially writing during the Barnabas storyline and left soon after [spoiler]Woodard's murder[/spoiler] to write for a different network.  I keep saying officially because just as Gothick reported that Welles continued to ghostwrite near the end of the series, Caldwell said he wrote some of the scripts attributed to Ron Sproat during the early Phoenix story.

And he'll be gone again before the switch to 1840.  Not surprisingly, he has expressed disappointment that during this time-- when he returned during 1970 PT-- the show was missing its human element.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
Is Quentin, still in love with Angelique

If you're wondering that, then the writers are doing their job because that's exactly what the audience is supposed to be wondering.

it is getting kind of lame for everyone accusing Alexis of being Angelique.

I don't think it's lame. Keep in mind that practically no one was even aware that Ang had a twin - plus they're all well aware of her vow to somehow return from death. Then there's also the fact that DS is a soap and soaps aren't expected to be watched every day. The notion that Alexis could be Ang has to be mentioned repeatedly for those who might just be tuning in because they need to be clued in. It's the same as with mentioning every day that Barnabas is chained in his coffin.

But if she is staying in Angelique's room, wearing her clothes, playing her music, isn't she continuing the idea.

She's certainly contributing.

Not surprisingly, he has expressed disappointment that during this time-- when he returned during 1970 PT-- the show was missing its human element.

There was certainly a radical change in tone between 1967 and 1970. But a lot of that had to do with the departure of Art Wallace and his influence and the ascension of DC as the defacto "head writer." One wonders if there could ever again be two men as different and with as radically different views of the same show?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:48:48 PM »
Kudos to all of you guys.  Some great dialogue going on in this topic.  I love a lot of the interviews during this period with Joe and Paula especially!

4/7/70

EWW…I have seen some ugly outfits in life and on DS but I think Lara's takes the cake.  Pink with the black and while blocks pretty much takes the cake.  How ugly and unflattering!  Of course I had forgotten Maggie's quilted pants but I think those are kinda groovy! They would be great for a 70's themed party! 

Bruno looks like the quintessential 70’s Guido (I have no idea Michael's heritage just referring to my take on B) with his hair gelled and pimp outfit.  Thankfully they toned own M's makeup for Bruno Hess!   Well Horace Gladston is the counterpart of Wilbur Strak, very interesting. 

I do have to say I like Cyrus's lab.  I think it was sort of a risky move to spirit all of the main cast off, especially with the ratings going down.  I once again cannot express how much I appreciate Christopher P's characterization of Cyrus.  The nervous hand tick, the stutter, the movements, I see no Jeb whatsoever except when I look at his face.

The set department did a good job of making the Mausoleum look very different in this time! KUDOS!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »
Actually, probably because ABC heavily promoted the storyline switch to 1970PT (with a really great promo featuring scenes taken from Eps #981- #1000), the ratings began to rebound...

And according to Michael Stroka himself, a lot of the clothes Bruno wears during this storyline came from Stroka's own closet.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:03:04 PM »
After I wrote that I thought I could be wrong and but MB will know! ;)  I wish to goodness those would have been preserved!   Can you imagine them as extra's??  [ghost_sad]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:43:04 AM »
And according to Michael Stroka himself, a lot of the clothes Bruno wears during this storyline came from Stroka's own closet.

EW!

Angelique's portrait  - the composition is very nice, but that lamp! I would have put a vase of white or pink roses on the pedestal.

I do believe Quentin's orange jacket brings out his blue eyeballs. That is a positive thing.

Every lab should have a mirror. One must look one's best when mixing psychedelic chemicals.

All right. Bruno's hair. It makes me think of food. Cotton candy, Marshmallow Fluff, meringue...

The dead coming back to life? What is Bruno talking about???

That Gladstone guy gives me the creeps. He is one seedy-looking character. Brrr!

How many of you keep pruning shears in the bedroom?

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 07:47:04 AM »
Angelique's portrait  - the composition is very nice, but that lamp!
Oh, thank you!  I keep forgetting to mention the lamp.  It's just wrong.

I do believe Quentin's orange jacket brings out his blue eyeballs.
So, Quentin's eyeballs are removable, like contact lenses?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 05:54:25 AM »
The slide of Collinwood shown at the beginning was backwards AND filthy!

Later, Bruno was choking AND carrying on a conversation.  (Pins in a doll to cause choking?)

Sabrina to Cyrus:  "Before I throw my arms about you and make a fool of myself, it is an engagement ring, isn't it?"
If it isn't, then immediately placing it on your left ring finger already made you look like one.

We got a kissless engagement scene between Cyrus and Sabrina, and Sabrina apparently wasn't at all bothered by it.
I hope she's not holding her breath to hear him say the L word--
Sabrina:  "I love it, and I love you."
Cyrus:  "I guess you know how I feel about you."

Thomas Findley and John Hart are dead in PT too.

In the end credits, Bruno wasn't given a last name and Gladstone wasn't given a first name.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 05:14:15 PM »
Makes me wonder if characters who died in RT are still around in PT, just not mentioned.
Is Dr. Woodard at the hospital,  Mrs. Johnson still working for Bill Malloy,  Matthew Morgan working at the cannery,
Dr. Guthrie teaching at Dartmouth, Joe Haskell buying his boat, Burke Devlin marrying a human Laura, Victoria Winters still teaching at the orphanage, No Jeff Clark or Adam.

We know Sam Evans is dead.  I wonder if Elizabeth is a widow in PT?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
I hope she's not holding her breath to hear him say the L word--

Sabrina wants to hear Cyrus say the word "Lesbian"?

Sabrina:  "I love it, and I love you."
Cyrus:  "I guess you know how I feel about you."

Oh, you mean THAT L word. Oops.  [wink2]