Author Topic: OT: VCR's??  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
OT: VCR's??
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Does anyfriends have an old VCR they don't use or would be willing to sell? Mine died and I am finding it impossible to find one. It's awful. And if I do they are expensive combo's and I just can't afford that as of now. Yes I guess I live in the dark ages but I still record my stuff with VCR because a DVR is just extra expense. Or if you know anyone that sells them cheap let me know! Thanks!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: OT: VCR's??
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »
I think the Salvation Army has a policy that they check out electronics before they sell them, but I'd ask.  Last time I went to one though, no VCRs.   I dread the day when mine gives out.   I'm committed to VHS.   I only have a film library now because of VHS clearance sales.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:35:30 PM »
Have you checked places like Sam's Club, Costco, etc.?  They would probably have only combo's, too, but at really low prices.  You need to buy a membership, but it's cheap and once you have one, you'll find yourself buying lots of stuff there (including tons of blank VCR tapes).

Gerard

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:28:10 PM »
For what it's worth, there's a Sylvania VCR/DVD combo player on Amazon now for $34.04.  However, it takes 2 to 4 weeks to ship for whatever reason, and I imagine you need it NOW because of the current TV shows you follow.

I would try trawling through the local Good Will and similar shops because some of them probably do have VCRs.  I'd take a decent tape with me to try it out in the store before purchasing it however.

Good luck!

Steve

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:57 PM »
I bought the vhs/dvd combo about 2 yrs ago.  It sounds like a good idea to get a spare just in case since the prices are so low.  Most of my DS videos are on vhs format.  I have some of the dvds but although the picture is often times better than vhs, they have edited out so much of the great blooper material found on the vhs tapes, its just sad!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:03:29 AM »
It depends on whether you just want to play tapes or are planning on recording.  Last year when I was looking for one, I could find players or even some that recorded, but didn't have their own tuner, so you could only record the channel you were watching.  I finally managed to find a VCR - DVD recorder with a tuner, but had to pay a lot more than I wanted to.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »
The DVDs are edited?!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:04:53 AM »
I think they are talking about DVD RECORDERS. I had one until it died.  You can burn stuff from  VHS to DVD which is what I am working on.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
There's always eBay!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »
I have a friend who is sending one as long as it works with the new digital TV.  He hasn't hooked it up since it switched over.  I had an old one and it worked fine.  FINGERS CROSSED!  I am waiting to hear from him!  Thank God for good friends.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
Remember most VCR's have the RCA jack inputs you can use from your cable box or TV to be able to record without the problems of obsolescence with the digital TV switchover. I have Uverse cable tv and a non-HDTV set and had to do nothing for the switchover. Just depends on where your signal is coming from.

I would check some pawn shops or especially TV repair shops. Usually they have super cheap units they practically give away. Remember when VCR's cost 300 bucks and then you had to get them repaired and it was 150 bucks!!?? Good luck with your search!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 09:21:30 PM »
My first VCR cost over $500. It was wild when about 10 years later I saw a similar model for only slightly more than $100. But I wasn't all that upset because my first VCR gave me over 10 years of excellent service - and without it I would never have been able to tape DS when it was in syndication in the mid-to-late '80s. So it's all good. Though it does make one wonder how cheap Blu Ray player/recorders will be one day in the not too distant future...

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 09:42:59 PM »
...TOP-LOADER VCR's ruled!! and they weighed like 40 pounds because of all the metal in the workings and outer casing! Had a Magnavox one that lasted about 9 years. Now that's what I call hardware!!!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:04 PM »
My first VCR was 1000K! I remember when my father bought it.  It was gigantic but boy did it last for about 13 years.  I read a book that a whistle blower wrote and it included the fact that electronics are made cheap so we have to continue to buy them.  And I truly believe it....