Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0983  (Read 1560 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0983
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0983
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »
David Henesy has played two Daniels now.   He's good at making others uncomfortable.   Too bad they couldn't work out a personality for PT Liz, apart from a pink sweater and being bad with money.   Here's the chained coffin... I guess the movie's being filmed now.   Maggie's just a great big old fear-bag isn't she?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 12:45:35 AM »
Nope, the movie hadn't begun shooting yet. They gave Frid more than a week off between taping the daytime show and the start of the movie so that he could prepare...

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 03:41:54 AM »
With Daniel doing the things that he does, it reminds me of a spoiled kid.  In some ways I feel it father like son. But then I don't think that Maggie, really realized the situation that she married into. Did she just want to move up into the big house on the hill?

I thinking everyone was measuring, Maggie with Angelique?

[spoiler]I wonder if Angelique put a spell on Quentin, to him to marry her. Later on it is admitted the Angelique had made up her mind to be the mistress of Collinwood.[/spoiler]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:21 AM »
The opening voiceover underlined the fact that Barnabas is trapped in his coffin in strange time.  Nobody in this universe knows or cares about him - not even the ghosts.

Quentin is becoming less and less admirable by the minute.  I have noted MB’s post in the topic for yesterday's episode about Quentin's pain.  The question remains: to what extent is one’s own emotional pain a sufficient excuse for bad behavior to people who did not cause that pain?  I don't have the answer.

Meanwhile nobody is willing to say to Maggie, “I didn't like Angelique,” even though it's clear that at least three people – Elizabeth, Carolyn, and Chris – didn't.  It bugs me, but I don't think I blame them.  The situation is very, very messy.

Oh, gosh, Maggie can find nothing better to do than to sit around the drawing room reading magazines.  If she had been out taking a walk around the estate, Daniel wouldn't have been able to find her and lure her up to his mother’s room.  And boy oh boy, was she easy to lure!  Well, I suppose that's what Quentin, in his pain, wanted: somebody sweet and simple.

During the closing credits we got a good long look at the coffin on its very small pedestal.  How on earth did Barnabas ever get in and out without knocking it off?  We don't know, because we're never allowed to see it happen.  Did Frid use a stepstool or was he wafted in and out by the crew?  I think it's got to be the latter because it always happens so fast.  I wonder if they ever dropped him.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »
Oh, gosh, Maggie can find nothing better to do than to sit around the drawing room reading magazines.  If she had been out taking a walk around the estate, Daniel wouldn't have been able to find her and lure her up to his mother’s room.  And boy oh boy, was she easy to lure!  Well, I suppose that's what Quentin, in his pain, wanted: somebody sweet and simple.

During the closing credits we got a good long look at the coffin on its very small pedestal.  How on earth did Barnabas ever get in and out without knocking it off?  We don't know, because we're never allowed to see it happen.  Did Frid use a stepstool or was he wafted in and out by the crew?  I think it's got to be the latter because it always happens so fast.  I wonder if they ever dropped him.

Good point, why not a walk on the beach.

I don't think that the coffin was always on the pedestal? Maybe one that was not as high. That would have been funny if they would have gotten the stage hands helping him out. We are going to get really tired of the voice over of Barnabas in his coffin.

I wonder if there was anyone that didn't know about the movie, I know in the magizine at the time they were really promoting the movie. But I guess it was good for the fans that saw the show later, that might not  have been as grooved in.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:08:29 PM »
Quentin is becoming less and less admirable by the minute.  I have noted MB’s post in the topic for yesterday's episode about Quentin's pain.  The question remains: to what extent is one’s own emotional pain a sufficient excuse for bad behavior to people who did not cause that pain?  I don't have the answer.

My point wasn't necessarily that Quentin's behavior is always forgivable (it sure as hell isn't) - it's more so that it's made clear that there are deep emotional reasons behind it - and that helps to make it understandable.

And I know you weren't saying this, but characters don't have to be admirable to be fascinating to watch. If they had to be admirable, well, let's just say dozens of the DS characters would fall short - and by a long shot.  [wink2][spoiler]For example, one of my all-time favorite DS characters, 1840/41's Samantha, is a first class bitch - and Virginia Vestoff plays her to perfection.[/spoiler]It's the fact that there are reasons behind the bad behavior - and often deeply emotional reasons - that helps to make them so fascinating...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
I guess we won't know who Amy and Chris parents are unless it followed the same pattern of RT and I doubt that it did.   It is great that by now the audience (to an extent) would accept Quentin as the lead since Frid was so busy filming HODS.  I suspect if Frid had left the soap (had it continued) our dear Quentin would be traveling through time, fighting the darkness, etc.  Which I for one wouldn't have minded!  

Nice fade out music after Chris leaves—not often heard!  This Elizabeth seems quite dowdy.  Daniel sure is a little ass.  UGH!   This Daniel is quite different than the easy going Daniel of 1795.   I love the closing credits with the light draping B's coffin.  

Written by: Gordon Russell
Directed by: Lela Swift

PS..If it's not okay to add writers/directors let me know.  I thought some people may want to know but don't take the time.  

[spoiler]MB---I am totally with you.  I love Sam and I love VV she is awesome![/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:33:12 AM »
And I know you weren't saying this, but characters don't have to be admirable to be fascinating to watch. If they had to be admirable, well, let's just say dozens of the DS characters would fall short - and by a long shot.  [wink2][spoiler]For example, one of my all-time favorite DS characters, 1840/41's Samantha, is a first class bitch - and Virginia Vestoff plays her to perfection.[/spoiler]It's the fact that there are reasons behind the bad behavior - and often deeply emotional reasons - that helps to make them so fascinating...
Yes and no and no and yes.  Fascination also depends on what the viewer brings to the character.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »
Ace combs - made to last forever!

David's posters and stuff always make me think of The Banana Splits TV show. Very mod and psychedelic. Uh oh! Tongo!

Maggie, disguise yourself as an old crone, give the kid a poisoned apple and call it a day. Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the rottenest kid of all?

(edited by admin)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:03:09 AM »
No more Don Briscoe voiceovers after this one  :(

I don't get the reasoning for putting a fall on KLS.  Didn't she already have enough hair?

I wonder who it was that really hummed Brahms' Lullaby.  Amy's apology for not making it into the secret room made for a very creepy twist.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »
I don't get the reasoning for putting a fall on KLS.  Didn't she already have enough hair?

Back in those days there was no such thing on TV (and possibly even with some women in real life) as too much hair!  [lghy]

I wonder who it was that really hummed Brahms' Lullaby.

It's always sounded like KLS to me. Which, within the context of the show, is weird if one thinks about it. But apparently such things didn't matter to them. All that mattered was that some woman who was already on the show was available so they didn't have to pay extra for anyone.  :-\

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:17 AM »