Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0979  (Read 1280 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0979
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
Robservations #979

FAREWELL, ROGER!

Louis Edmonds makes his final appearance as Roger Collins in this ep...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0979
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:25:05 AM »
Eh?  You mean RT Roger?   What about the part of 1970 between [spoiler]1995 and 1840?[/spoiler]   No Roger at all?   Did life become one great big business trip to Bangor for him?

Nick's dead!   And HAA is really good at dying!   But how can Nick die?  I never thought of him as being a human being who ever lived in the first place.   How'd Jeb get the Shadow in his hand w/o Nick seeing?  It didn't waste time this time, did it...    And Sky's so outraged!   You'll be sorry Jeb, I'll hold my breath till I turn blue!   So much for Sky wanting to reform.  Maybe he's like a dog who becomes obedient and intimidated through beatings...

I'd do all sorts of experiments with PT, taking pictures from the corridor, leaving a running clock (to check for missing time?) or movie camera in the room...   Roger to David: "I know where the action should be... in your bedroom!"   Well maybe if you let him have more friends in the house....  He'll regret saying that!

I think I could begin to buy Jeb as reformed if he hadn't killed Carolyn's father then married her, not telling her, and then expected life to go on happily.   Jeb's really interested in photography now?  He fetches his camera to take on their trip.

Who else but idiot Sky would turn up at Widows Hill to kill someone, then start strangling instead of taking advantage of this very conspicuous deadly cliff inches to his left, and just pushing her off?  Oh yeah, I'm standing on a cliff, I forgot!

A bad storyline makes the series of deaths at the end that much more satisfying.  I thought Jeb or Sky might give up the ghost this episode, perhaps literally, but I should be content with Nick.   One of your great deaths.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:57 AM »
Did life become one great big business trip to Bangor for him?

Make that a lengthy business trip to Europe.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:29 AM »
Did Louis do a play or several plays or just wasn't called upon to play Roger? Sad...
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:21:27 PM »
How'd Jeb get the Shadow in his hand w/o Nick seeing?
Jeb had his right hand in his pocket all the time.  I was thinking that at some point Nicholas would surely notice it, but I guess Nicholas was so busy thinking how clever he was that he didn't notice.

I think it's a pity that we didn't get to see the shadow curse passed around the way the dream curse was.  It would make a nice game of supernatural tag.

I think I could begin to buy Jeb as reformed if he hadn't killed Carolyn's father then married her, not telling her, and then expected life to go on happily.
I don't think it's that Jeb's reformed.  It's that the Leviathan, i.e. bad, part of him has been destroyed, so, I guess, he feels it was somebody else who killed Paul Stoddard, not himself.  It's a pity that Carolyn's dreams couldn't have continued, but I guess once they learned they couldn't get Dennis Patrick back they figured there was no point.

I find it meaningful that the one person who is griefstricken over Nicholas's demise and who is planning to avenge him is a male.  Suddenly I'm looking at the relationship between Nicholas and Sky in a completely different light.  After all, Nicholas and Sky have been friends for far longer than Sky and Angelique knew each other, and furthermore, Nicholas may well have been the first person ever to believe in Sky - or anyway, that's how Sky would see it.

We got a nice effect with Nicholas rising from his body, while his body remained on the sofa, lovingly placed there by Sky.  Imperfect at first, but better once they had a chance to adjust things.  Is that the same technology that was used to enable Roger to see himself in the parallel time room?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Louis Edmonds I loved your work as Roger especially in the early days when you had more screen time.  I hate that we don't see you again in that role! [ghost_sad]

HAA is a such a wonderful actor.  He relishes every second of playing Nicholas Blair or any other character he plays for that matter.  Bye, bye Nick [spoiler]it was great to know you and sadly we won't see you again on Dark Shadows![/spoiler] :(
I absolutely love the scene with Nicholas spirit rising out of his body.  Very well executed by the special effects team and it's only the second best to the one of Barnabas rising from his body in 1897 in my opinion!  

Once again the writers are completely winding down the Leviathans storyline with only a couple loose ends to tie up!  

Poor David—he is 13 by now (do we know his birthdate) or nearly 13 and having to go to bed? I didn't have to go to bed that early except on school nights. Of course I have always been a bit of a vampire.  My family knocked on my door at 13 as well.  They seem to forget he is hitting puberty and don't give him much respect.  Oh well….[spoiler]they tended to try and keep him “young” as we will see more of in the future![/spoiler]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
Poor David—he is 13 by now (do we know his birthdate) or nearly 13 and having to go to bed?

If we can judge by Jamison's dream in 1897, where things matched concurrently with 1969, David's birthday could possibly be in early June. However, other than the dream, I don't recall David's birthday ever being referenced (oddly, I don't believe he was listed in the family bible - and his[spoiler]tombstone in 1995 only says BORN: 1956[/spoiler]). We know he would turn 14 sometime in 1970, but who knows when? Although, now that I think about it, David was already 10 when Vicki became governess in late June of '66. So, that narrows it down a bit - and would fall in line with his birthday possibly being in early June...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »
Every time Nancy Barrett screams, a star in a distant galaxy implodes and dies.  Yes, I believe that her work during this time period alone was responsible for countless black holes.  Seriously, the mere sound of her voice has my dog leaving the room, and it's because we've had quite enough of Carolyn's screaming.  While I dread what's coming up very soon for the character, I'm pleased that it also signals the end of Leviathans because that means there won't be anyone left (no more Paul, [spoiler]Jeb[/spoiler] or Nicholas) to feed the bizarre dreams to Carolyn Hawkes or drive her to hysteria.  NB's shrieking and wailing caused me to reach MY critical mass.

Spirit of Nicholas:  "You are alone now, Sky. All alone. But I will help you. You must revenge this. Jeb Hawkes must die."
In a recent WP post, I said that "verse" used as a verb is a pet peeve.  Well, using "revenge" as a verb is another one.

Love love LOVE the psychedelic fx in the Widow's Hill dream!

But how can Nick die?  I never thought of him as being a human being who ever lived in the first place.

It seems that in the DS universe, a supernatural being can live as a human, but unless it loses its immortality, she or he can come back even after death.

I'd do all sorts of experiments with PT, taking pictures from the corridor, leaving a running clock (to check for missing time?) or movie camera in the room...

I'd love to read that report!

Roger to David: "I know where the action should be... in your bedroom!"   Well maybe if you let him have more friends in the house....  He'll regret saying that!

[ghost_cheesy]

Who else but idiot Sky would turn up at Widows Hill to kill someone, then start strangling instead of taking advantage of this very conspicuous deadly cliff inches to his left, and just pushing her off?  Oh yeah, I'm standing on a cliff, I forgot!

LOL  That was such a silly cliffhanger.  (No pun intended, I swear!)

I think it's a pity that we didn't get to see the shadow curse passed around the way the dream curse was.  It would make a nice game of supernatural tag.

Once they introduced the loophole to the "shadow must kill" story, the curse began to sound an awful lot like the plot of "Curse of the Demon" (aka "Night of the Demon", or the short story that the movie was based on) with the paper cutout taking the place of the parchment, the pitiful shadow replacing the awesome demon, and Nicholas Blair playing the part of devil's emissary Julian Karswell.

It's a pity that Carolyn's dreams couldn't have continued,

Nooooooooo.