Poll

If you could time travel what method would prefer?

Through a very weird seance!
0 (0%)
By summoning spirits as B did to go back to 1796!
1 (5.9%)
The I Ching Wands!
4 (23.5%)
Angelique's Room of course!
0 (0%)
A Stairway In Time!
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Time Travel??  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Time Travel??
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:28 AM »
Since the show found several different ways to travel through time I began to wonder what everyones preferred method would be?  I really wasn't for sure if I should used Angelque's room. However,it did help Barnabas time travel to PT and somehow sent he and Julia to the future!

I personally thought the stairway in time was the coolest method! [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Time Travel??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:34:06 PM »
As I explain in my book, “The Physics of Dark Shadows,” my choice would be Quentin’s staircase, which I explain is the most realistic method scientifically to travel through time (at least to the past), in that wormholes through spacetime can exist mere inches away and do not violate the laws of physics.

With the staircase (wormhole), a person can travel both through time and space at great distances by traveling through a shortcut method. This would be like walking across a temporary bridge from the top of one skyscraper to another, instead of taking the long way by traveling by elevator to the ground floor, crossing the street, and then going up the other skyscraper’s elevator. By Einstein’s theory, space and time are linked, so when you traverse space, you also traverse time.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
I picked the I Ching - and that's because supposedly only my astral self would travel - and if we can go by Julia's experience in 1897, I wouldn't be able to be harmed. Though, of course, I would need someone I wholeheartedly trust to guard my body in the present.  [ghost_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
We can do polls?!   I know that the Staircase is the ultimate in safe, easy time-travel, but I picked the I Ching just because it's, well, cool.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »
I still have to read your book Frank as I have heard it's great!   I almost went with I Ching because it's cool.  However, in the end the staircase won out.  I think it would be cool if one could find marked events on the staircase and choose were to go!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:45 AM »
I keep trying to modify and it would time out. That was my 1800Th post! YAY!  I am excited!  I know its really nothing but its a big deal to me!  God status here I come!

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:53:06 AM »
I suppose the stairway through time is the most alluring, really; it shows up when it wants to (not neccessarily when you are being attacked by zombies) but at least it isn't so dangerous.  After watching Count Petofi's experiments, I would really hate to get the i-ching wrong... 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:57:48 AM »
Nothing forces you to go into an I Ching trance with each throw, so you just keep throwing until you finally get the 49th Hexagram.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:09:19 AM »
We can do polls?!

At the top of the board listing, after "mark as read," "notify" and "new topic," there's a button for "new poll."  Haven't you posted in some of the poll topics started by TNickey2003?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:03:39 AM »
This is a bit off topic...but it's wild that 61 people have viewed this and only nine have commented!   I wish so many wouldn't lurk!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
Nothing forces you to go into an I Ching trance with each throw, so you just keep throwing until you finally get the 49th Hexagram.  [ghost_wink]
I'm not sure I'd want to bet my life that the 49th hexagram is safe.

With the staircase (wormhole), a person can travel both through time and space at great distances by traveling through a shortcut method. This would be like walking across a temporary bridge from the top of one skyscraper to another
Just don't look down!

I went for the summoning spirits option because everything else seems to be hit or miss.  The seance option is similar, but seances rarely produce the desired result in the Dark Shadows universe, whereas when Barnabas summoned a particular spirit for a particular purpose, he was able to get to his chosen time period with no fuss whatsover.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
I'm not sure I'd want to bet my life that the 49th hexagram is safe.

It certainly proved safe enough for Julia. And if I'm going to travel to a different time, I'd like to have that assurance that I can't be harmed while I'm there.  [ghost_wink]

I went for the summoning spirits option because everything else seems to be hit or miss.

But you didn't vote for it.  [ghost_huh]

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:16 AM »

That's true--we never saw the cackling skeleton show up in the 49th hexagram.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 06:18:10 AM »
But you didn't vote for it.
That's strange, I thought I had.  Well, I have now, unless I messed up again.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 06:29:49 AM »
My immediate thought when I saw this question yesterday was "The Stairway Through Time,"* but I wanted to give it some thought and consider what other methods were used. (Today, I found the poll listing those methods, thanks!)

I would still opt for the stairway through time. I would want to feel in control as much as possible, which I wouldn't if spirits or the I-Ching were involved. The stairway was supposedly the product of a scientific mind, rather than the supernatural, which would hopefully allow you to predict the outcome. The physical act of walking up the stairs, the tactile nature, would give me a sense of security. But I suppose when you reached a certain point, those other forces would take over, or at least you would no longer be in control. It would still be a bit scary, especially if you didn't know exactly when in history you would be arriving.

*  ® Quentin Collins I

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995