Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0975  (Read 1816 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0975
« on: April 09, 2010, 11:08:28 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0975
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:51:07 AM »
Bruno thinks he's too good for fistfights.   Stabbing's cooler I guess.   After daily overdoses of earnestness from so many RT characters for so long now, the cynicism of Reprobate Roger and Carolyn is refreshing.   What looks different about Carolyn's face?   

Bruno... now there's a man who likes to delight in his own ignorance!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
Bruno thinks he's too good for fistfights.   Stabbing's cooler I guess.
But of course!  The ability to use tools is what distinguishes men from beasts!

Chris and Sabrina against Bruno are two against one, but they still can't manage an escape.  There was an amusing moment when Chris and Sabrina were alone together.  Chris was looking for a way to escape, and Sabrina said, "Chris, hold me."  He did as she asked, but he didn't look any too pleased about it.

I noticed in Bruno's living room one of the chairs that were in Evan Hanley's living room, easily detectable because their backs look like computer monitors.

Finally we got to see some more of parallel time today, and once again Barnabas was the only person who saw it.  Of course we saw a loving scene between our Carolyn and her Uncle Roger not long before we saw parallel time Carolyn and Roger squabbling.  The loving scene wasn't terribly interesting, although I was surprised Carolyn didn't go to the carriage house to sleep.  I daresay Roger also wondered about that, but we didn't get to see any uncharitableness in him today.  The scene in the parallel time room was lots of fun.  Parallel time Carolyn's movements were very brisk.  I doubt that that Carolyn would ever have put up with Adam.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
But of course!  The ability to use tools is what distinguishes men from beasts!

LOL... Personally though, I think Bruno's opposable thumbs must be falsies.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
LOL yourself, Magnus!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »
I loved the contrast seeing the loving relationship between Roger and Carolyn in regular time, and their sparring one in Parallel Time.

What's the difference between Bruno and Aristede? Not much. They're both sadistic brutes, they both love to use their knives to threaten their victims (does Bruno have a name for his knife like Aristede did for 'the dancing lady'?)...I swear, Bruno could be Aristede's descendent. Of course I have a hard time imagining any woman in her right mind falling for someone like Aristede.

I actually found the scene between Chris and Sabrina touching. Once Carolyn was done away with, does anyone think Bruno would let either of them go? I don't.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »
What's the difference between Bruno and Aristede?
Aristede wouldn't be caught dead in that fur coat.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 11:58:11 AM »
Magnus you asked what is different about Carolyn: makeup! I worked in the mac up business before I got hurt plus I was an impersonator for years.  It's uncanny how a certain stroke of contour, eye make up etc. can make someone look really different.  The wonderful actress that Nancy is also helps. She moves as Lydia said very differently than our Carolyn!

I think the production team done a wonderful job on making the cuts from PT to regular pretty seamless for the technology of the day.  I can only imagine how cool PT time could be done on a big budget! 

I love PT Roger and Carolyn.  We didn't see enough of them IMO!

Love the purple chair behind the picture of Quentin and Daniel!   Nancy's hair is gorgeous and the way its style brushed away from her face makes her look a lot different Magnus.

The place where Chris is being held.  That looks just like Stokes flat!  Stroka hamming it up  with the maniacal laugh at the end! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »
Forgive me for my lateness. My PC is dying.

Maybe if Bruno and Sabrina swapped wigs...

Very typical of men to leave that damn chair askew in the east wing.

Is that a marijuana plant PT Roger is toasting?

I love PT Carolyn's outfit. Somebody should have done a portrait of her.

At this point, I so wish that Barnabas was back to draining calves's blood. This thing about him having to get into PT time is sickening. Even more sickening than him having Willie bring him dead calves.

Now look. If they dyed Bruno's hair pink and stuck a cone on his head, it would be just like being at the fair, wouldn't it? I used to love cotton candy.

I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »
Your hysterically funny Janet! BWHAHAHAA!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:53:04 PM »
I couldn't resist capturing this scene.  It's obvious why fans have long referred to the portrait over the liquor cabinet (in reality, Richard Wagner) as "Joshua's portrait"--

Sabrina to Chris:  "There is no way out."
Break a freakin' window.  Sheesh.

Roger to Barnabas, in the East Wing:  "I haven't been here in years."
Roger has a mind like a sieve!  I think it's been only a couple of days since this took place:
Roger, holding his aching head, comes to and looks up at Julia--what are you doing here? he asks.  Liz told me I could come check the architecture in the east wing lies Julia. I'm not in the mood to discuss that, says Roger--the east wing? Yes, says Julia. What am I doing here? he asks.  You must have some reason, says Julia, but you got a bad hit on the head--I think a cold compress is in order. Upset, Roger says I can think of no reason for being here in the east wing.

Bruno thinks he's too good for fistfights.   Stabbing's cooler I guess.

Wasn't that a real knife that Stroka was holding against Briscoe's neck?  Granted, it's probably not the sharpest knife, yet he easily peeled an apple with it a couple of eps ago.

But why use a knife to guard two prisoners when he already had Ned's gun?  The writer (now Sam Hall) seems to be ignoring that fact completely.  And what happened to Sky, btw, who was tied up in the closet?

The lack of continuity with set design, props, costumes AND plot might be a result of the wacky taping sched during the first 2 weeks of March.  After #973 was taped on the previous Friday, the order went like this:
#975, #977, #980, #981, #982, #976, #974, #978, #979 and #983.  [ghost_wacko]

What's the difference between Bruno and Aristede? Not much. They're both sadistic brutes, they both love to use their knives to threaten their victims

I do see some basic differences between the two characters.  We were told that Aristede was a sadist who relished killing for killing's sake, but I see Bruno as more of an opportunist, always considering what was in it for him.  Even when he whipped the werewolf, it wasn't done for the sake of inflicting pain on the creature but for a specific purpose-- to rile it up as much as possible before Jeb showed up.  Bruno bragged that he wouldn't hesitate to kill, but when Jeb told him to get information out of Maggie and gave his permission to kill her, Bruno yelled a little at her, bought her story and let her go, but when Aristede set out to interrogate Amanda (who was not marked for death), she ended up unconscious.  Bruno only boasted about his preference for knives, but Aristede employed torture devices that he aimed in the most horrific manner possible.  And Bruno did have that that one unselfish moment when he saved Sabrina from the werewolf.  (Sabrina didn't see it as saving her life, but I think she would've been wolf chow.)

Both men started new lives as followers-- Aristede fell into service with Petofi in exchange for the security, comfort, and adventure he could provide, and Strak may have made the same claims to Bruno to recruit his service to the Leviathans, maybe with a promise of power thrown in.  However, Aristede knew his place as the servant, and we didn't see the profound jealousy in him that Bruno developed early on for Jeb, even after Petofi treated Aristede horribly.

Aristede wouldn't be caught dead in that fur coat.
Ha ha!  And there's that. [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
The lack of continuity with set design, props, costumes AND plot might be a result of the wacky taping sched during the first 2 weeks of March.  After #973 was taped on the previous Friday, the order went like this:
#975, #977, #980, #981, #982, #976, #974, #978, #979 and #983.  [ghost_wacko]

You mean they were taping ep's out of sequence?   Did they do this often?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:10:55 PM »
Yes.  And not to this extent, at least not that I recall.  I assume it's related to preproduction of the movie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
I have a topic prepared to post later today about how the shooting of hoDS affected the taping of the daytime show. Why has it waited until today? Well, that will be evident once I post it.  [ghost_wink]

(Hint: It has nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo- but it does have something to do with something else that's happening today.)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
I remember other periods when taping the episodes out of sequence was just as nutso as this.  When I learned about this, it helped me understand why the actors could never understand what was actually going on--and why the writers and production stuff were barely able to do so.

Midnite love, that's a brilliant capture of Roger doing what he loves best!

G.