Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0972  (Read 2439 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0972
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0972
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:24:57 AM »
Stokes is making a very smooth transition to the new storyline; he's forgotten all about that antique shop/slimy monster business that B&J were consulting him on months ago, and is all about PT now.   

Liz actually seems to tear up over Carolyn's marriage.  ***  The writing's better already.   I realized it when that "Cleo" reference was dropped in.  The DS pattern seems to be that often a current storyline is "let go" in favor of planning for the impending storyline.   ***  Jeb can't hug Carolyn's body, he has to hug her head!   The big silhouette was actually credible this time and creepy, it's bigger which helped.

I like Stokes' ripped sleeve analogy.   Oh no, the Shadow just got the cameraman!   End.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »
Stokes is making a very smooth transition to the new storyline; he's forgotten all about that antique shop/slimy monster business that B&J were consulting him on months ago, and is all about PT now.
He hasn't forgotten.  He made a comment to Elizabeth about how she seemed better than she had been immediately following Paul's death, it was clear (to me at least) that he knew perfectly well that it wasn't Paul's death that had made her seem to be not quite herself.

Professor Stokes mentioned his high school sweetheart to Barnabas.  I'm having trouble visualizing said sweetheart.  Was Stokes ever the type of male to have a "sweetheart"?  Girlfriend yes, but sweetheart no.

Today Willie saw and handled the book that his parallel time self wrote, so we know that Barnabas isn't just imagining the parallel time room.  Then Barnabas read the book between dusk and 7:00 pm.  I sure can't read that fast.  And I'm not sure I'd want to read that particular book, anyway.  The last line of it suggests that it didn't delve terribly deep.

Jeb was momentarily heroic, pretending to Carolyn that the marriage was over so that she wouldn't have to see the shadow.  But it didn't last long.  And now Carolyn's making exactly the same mistake that Jeb did: thinking they can run away from it.  Incidentally, when they were in the hotel room (which I think was mscbryk's beloved room 24 with an extra wall added) Jeb said something about wanting to fly away, and I wondered if the shadow could travel over water.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:34 PM »
Hmmm…The Life & Death Of Barnabas Collins!   I love the music playing after opening credits! 
How fabulous W.H. Loomis books were made into movies.  Cleo was the muse of history…cool!  I will have to look up Cleo! 
“Barnabas if I were you I wouldn't look for no more suprises…there no good!” LOL  JK gets some great lines and he although he is so serious they make me howl! 

Barnabas must be a speed reader! Perhaps this is due to his vampiric  abilities!?

Great to see Elizabeth again.   There's the terrible shadow….oooh scary!  I do love Carolyn's fabulous jacket and her bag.  I want them!  LOL Elizabeth looks fabulous with her gorgeous earrings. “He left Collinwood in 1797!”  Great blooper! 

Be an ass why don't you  Jeb! 

I love the clock in the carriage house!

If the show had continued!  It would have been very interesting to see Carolyn become the mistress of Collinwood or David become master and perhaps see JB stay with the show for years like so many older soap vets. 

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »
Barnabas always looks so...so... well, kempt for a guy that spends his days in a coffin. He's well groomed, his suits look as though they are well pressed, and he wears sensible, but stylish ties.

"What do you mean?" Twice in this episode.

What is with the rolled collars on Liz? I can't ever remember anyone I ever knew wearing a dress with a rolled collar. And just how did they make them? Did they wrap material around a Styrofoam ring?

You know, Carolyn, maybe you made a mistake marrying this guy. You think??!!

If I found Aladin's lamp, one of my wishes would be that they right that chair in the east wing. I know. I know. But it drives me nuts!

OMG! Willie is back in them tight black pants with his wallet crammed into the back pocket. Time for a cold shower, Herbert.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »
What is with the rolled collars on Liz? I can't ever remember anyone I ever knew wearing a dress with a rolled collar. And just how did they make them? Did they wrap material around a Styrofoam ring?
No, it can't be that, because how would Liz get the Styrofoam ring over her hair when she was putting the thing on?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:48:15 AM »
“He left Collinwood in 1797!”  Great blooper! 

Didn't he say 1779?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:37 AM »
No, it can't be that, because how would Liz get the Styrofoam ring over her hair when she was putting the thing on?

Ah.... very true. But I wonder how they made them?  And why.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:57:55 AM »
“He left Collinwood in 1797!”  Great blooper! 

Didn't he say 1779?
He did say 1779.  I told myself that Barnabas was being clever, throwing in an inaccuracy to make his knowledge of the 18th century Barnabas Collins seem less intimate than it actually was.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »
He did say 1779.  I told myself that Barnabas was being clever, throwing in an inaccuracy to make his knowledge of the 18th century Barnabas Collins seem less intimate than it actually was.

No, that's you being clever, Lydia!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:02:30 AM »
The cut-out shadow is corny to say the least...but it's funny to see Jeb scared of something any kid could cut out of. [ghost_cheesy]

How much did Professor Stokes know about the Leviathans? Julia told him about Barnabas' behavior, the antique shop and the succession of mini-Jebs but we never actually saw her tell him anything about the creatures. Of course Paul's death and the shambles of the bedroom had to have clued Stokes in that there was something terrible happening at Collinwood.

I wonder too how Barnabas could read so fast. I know I could never read that fast. [ghost_huh]

I liked the talk between Barnabas and Stokes about Parallel Time. I love how Stokes seems to know about every supernatural phase, but of course he is an expert on the occult.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »
I love how Stokes seems to know about every supernatural phase, but of course he is an expert on the occult.
But Stokes wasn't born an expert on the occult (at least I don't think he was), so how did he become one?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »
Thanks for clearing up the blooper.  Either way it was funny!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 01:29:21 PM »

Ah.... very true. But I wonder how they made them?  And why.

Maybe it is just big pipping.

Don't you guys remember the Evelyn Wood reading technique?  [ghost_cool]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:37 AM »
Barnabas, Willie and Stokes say "Hollingshead" in this ep, yet here's a capture of that part of the book cover from the opening scene:

I don't understand!

Now who do you suppose was the recipient of the book found in Angelique's room that bore the author's inscription To the Clio who inspired me?  Hmmm.

How did the light get turned on in Carolyn's bedroom before she walked in the door to Collinwood unannounced?