Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0971  (Read 2409 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0971
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:44:13 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0971
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:41 AM »
The wording of the beginning voiceover suggested to me that the parallel time room was created by Barnabas's subconscious to distract him from the troubles that are besetting him in his real life.  It's not true (I don't think I need to make that a spoiler) but I wonder if Julia had considered that possibility.  The book that Hoffman threw out of the room, however, will dispose of the delusion hypothesis, once somebody besides Barnabas sees it and handles it.

I was disappointed by how gently Hoffman threw the book out of the parallel time room.  I suppose there was fear that it would be damaged so that Barnabas wouldn't be able to read the title, but the gentleness of the throw was still uncharacteristic of Hoffman.  If I had been there, I would have had two books available, so that the book that was thrown could be replaced with an intact book, if necessary, when the camera wasn't looking.

After everything else that Willie has seen and done at Collinwood, I was surprised that he was carrying on so about staking Megan.  But I guess he thought his life had changed when he met Roxanne, and now here he is, doing the same old same old.

As Roger guarded Megan, I wondered what the cannery staff were thinking when he didn't show up for work.  And then Megan was staked, and Roger remembered nothing.  Other vampire victims have remembered things after their vampires were staked, but Roger remembers nothing.  Elizabeth made a comment elsewhere in the episode about how the Collins family is good at denial, but Roger doesn't have to go to the trouble of denial because he doesn't remember a thing.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:56 AM »
JK Intro!!

There it is again – “What do you mean?” That makes it 3 times in the past 4 or 5 eps.

…”Roger is guarding her--Roger had no choice but to go to her when summoned, says Barn--I saw it, and it was dreadful.”  The truly dreadful thing is how you and Julia treat Willie.

Julia has absolutely no scruples when it comes to saving Barnabas’ character.  And why is Barnabas repulsed by Megan biting her victim? He’s a vampire too for crissakes.

I have no doubt that this is most likely the best sex Roger has ever experienced.

“What do you mean?” AGAIN! Twice in one episode!

We don’t care about you, Willie. It’s all about us. US! US! US!

Ack! AGAIN! “What do you mean?” 3 times in 1 episode. It doesn’t get much better than this, folks, and Vicky isn’t even here!

Now listen, if Willie wasn’t messed up enough before when he first unleashed Barnabas, killing calves for their blood, kidnapping Maggie, burying Jason, Wyndcliffe, the Adam thing, et al – he sure is messed up now.

I hate the PT music. Hate it.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
The Collinses are on the cutting edge of home entertainment technology, with their hologramatic home theatre playing a remake of Hitchcock's "Rebecca".  Too bad you have to stand out in the corridor to watch.

Poor Meg, just a pine box, though she seems to like it since she fingers it lovingly before opening it.   Is that a new or old Naga pin, and did she just forget to take it off?   Karlen always adds reality to his scenes, even when the storyline otherwise has none.

Julia: "I hope it doesn't harm you"-- and lower lip quiver... who's telling her to do that?   Maybe DC, screaming at her to emote more?   Barnabas must have then had a similar overacting moment, if I interpret my note correctly...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »
The Collinses are on the cutting edge of home entertainment technology, with their hologramatic home theatre playing a remake of Hitchcock's "Rebecca".  Too bad you have to stand out in the corridor to watch.

LOL!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
Julia: "I hope it doesn't harm you"-- and lower lip quiver... who's telling her to do that?   Maybe DC, screaming at her to emote more?   Barnabas must have then had a similar overacting moment, if I interpret my note correctly...

I don't know if you have noticed or not but Grayson uses that move pretty often.  

What do you guys think caused a time portal in Collinwood?   Then again why does anything happen @ Collinwood!?

“Our family have habit of forgetting things they find unattractive!”  Elizabeth  LOL  So true!  Joan looks younger!  Perhaps Vincent L is using a new type of makeup!?  

With all the switching back and forth of the sets some sort of editing has come into play.  There are no blood stains on Roger's neck?  Hmmm…..

It seems as if JF and GH were close because of him taking her by the arm…it could have been scripted but seemed instinctive! It also helped to convey his love for Julia regardless of  what type of love it is.  

I wonder if Elizabeth wonders why Julia hasn't changed her outfit!?   I guess I think of weird questions!  

Poor Willie….he is always having to do all the hard and dirty work.  Blooper:  Some strange man seems to be walking around the East Wing.  HA!  Maybe it's just a ghost!  

I love that famous quote by Marie W. “I better look for a job today they are putting a stake through my heart!”  Or something like that!

“Whatever’s drawing you there Barnabas…I hope it doesn't harm you!”  Grayson conveys so lovingly.
I love the music that is played when we see Parallel Time.  

Willie is looking sharp—very sexy!  Grayson does a fabulous job of playing this totally different character.  
WOW!  The Life and Death of  Barnabas Collins by William Hollinshead Loomis!  Interesting name!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 06:27:40 AM »
What do you guys think caused a time portal in Collinwood?   Then again why does anything happen @ Collinwood!?
It could be related to the presence of the Leviathans.  Possibly they used it for short hops in time like going back to the 1940s to put together the deal with Paul Stoddard.[spoiler]After all, Barnabas and Julia went to 1995 via the parallel time room.[/spoiler]Longer hops, like the two-century jump that Barnabas took with the Leviathan box, might not be feasible in the parallel time room.

But I think I'd have to convolute this idea a little more before I might start believing it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 06:42:26 AM »
With all the switching back and forth of the sets some sort of editing has come into play.  There are no blood stains on Roger's neck?  Hmmm…..

Yes, with the Parallel Time storyline, they're committing to edits day in and day out in order to show us the transitions between universes, at least for awhile, whereas before DC would brick you up in a basement for blowing a line so badly that they had to edit.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 03:54:36 AM »
Roger seems to attract supernatural beings a lot doesn't he? His first wife was a phoenix, his second one a witch, and then he had a vampire biting him...and he doesn't even BELIEVE in the supernatural. Talk about irony here.

Poor Willie had the thankless task of having to drive through the stake into Megan. Couldn't Barnabas and Julia have enlisted Quentin instead? It's one thing to ask Willie to come back and protect Barnabas (and even that is asking a lot, since Willie had suffered a lot since coming into Barnabas' 'employ') but to ask him to stake Megan was asking too much. It's not like Quentin wouldn't have been up to the job...he didn't even know Megan.

We have our first glimpse into Parallel Time. Had PT always been there, ever since Collinwood was first built? I doubt it, wouldn't someone have come across it before Barnabas and mention it? On second thought, the Collins family is famous for keeping dark secrets to themselves.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 11:26:55 PM »
That's actually an interesting theory concerning Parallel Time especially when also thinking about the dynamic duo traveling to [spoiler]1995![/spoiler] Thanks Lydia!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
If you look at PT, it sure looks a lot colorful than the currant RT.

IMO, maybe someone wanted to get into something brighter to bring back the fans,

[spoiler]In future shows it looks like things are more colorful, like the drawing room, and Maggie clothes.[/spoiler]

As to Barnabas taking Julia arm, I think that was something that JF and GH might have worked out, it does seem natural.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
If you look at PT, it sure looks a lot colorful than the current RT.

In PT, I've noticed an emphasis on the color combination of green and blue, plus other combinations that clash, at least to our RT eyes.   [spoiler]Stay tuned for Timothy Stokes' black shirt with a brightly colored bow tie.  More bow ties in general in PT I think.[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:08:58 AM »
As to Barnabas taking Julia arm, I think that was something that JF and GH might have worked out, it does seem natural.
I don't remember it, but I figure it was part and parcel of highlighting Julia's niceness so we would notice Hoffman's meanness all the more clearly.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:03:29 AM »

As I said in my post I feel as if it was instinctive with JF and GH.  According to her biography he used to go home with her to get a good meal and run lines! 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
Marie Wallace spent her final scene on DS crammed so tightly in a coffin that she had to bend her legs.  She wrote that it was originally built for tiny Nancy Barrett; does anyone know what she's talking about?

Something rolled by the window in the PT room... the upstairs PT room.

Why is it that we never hear the rooster unless a vampire is around?

The wording of the beginning voiceover suggested to me that the parallel time room was created by Barnabas's subconscious to distract him from the troubles that are besetting him in his real life.

This vo suggests that?--  In a seemingly deserted room in the East Wing, Barnabas Collins has stumbled across an incredible discovery. For in that room he has seen and heard a Julia and an Elizabeth who are strangers to him, living lives that are completely separate and different from the lives of the Julia and Elizabeth he has just seen downstairs. For in this room, Barnabas Collins seems to be able to see a world that exists in parallel time; see, but not enter.

Other vampire victims have remembered things after their vampires were staked, but Roger remembers nothing.

The weirdest reaction to me still is [spoiler]Carolyn whipping off her scarf and noting that the marks are gone, but never acknowledging why they were there in the first place.[/spoiler]

Is that a new or old Naga pin, and did she just forget to take it off?

It's Liz's castoff.

With all the switching back and forth of the sets some sort of editing has come into play.

The opening scene was a replay of the final scene from #970, so the PT room got only one redress.

It seems as if JF and GH were close because of him taking her by the arm…it could have been scripted but seemed instinctive!

Either way, it was really sweet.

I wonder if Elizabeth wonders why Julia hasn't changed her outfit!?   I guess I think of weird questions!

Ha!  And I liked that question a lot!