Author Topic: Robservations 8/9/02 - #598/599  (Read 1450 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Robservations 8/9/02 - #598/599
« on: August 08, 2002, 08:49:27 PM »
598 - (KLS) - A strange life or death experiment has been completed successfully, and the long nights of danger for those who live at Collinwood is over. But at least one man believes that the success of the experiment must now be reversed--for he believes that the female creature brought to life in the Old House is evil incarnate.

Stokes goes to Adam's room in Collinwood's west wing, but no one is there. The professor is looking through a book when David enters the room, startling Stokes, who claims to be looking for old books. David suggests he was looking for Adam--apparently, he and David were good friends. David bounces onto the bed, telling Stokes that Adam went away last night and was never returning to this house. (It's been a long time since we've seen David, and this is news to us.)
Stokes asks when Adam told him all this. Early, replies David, about 6 PM--I came up with some new books for Adam, who said it was the last time I'd see him. David was afraid of him at first, but Carolyn assured him Adam wouldn't hurt him. He never told anyone Adam was here, and they became good friends--Adam showed off how quickly he learned. Too quickly for his own good, remarks Stokes. Adam said a lot of things, says David, but not why he was leaving or where he was going, just that he was meeting someone new and starting a new life, reveals David--he was just going away. Stokes assures David nothing is wrong. David asks if anything is going to happen to the strange man who he isn't sure can take care of himself. Stokes agrees with this assessment. Carolyn joins them. Stokes says he came to see Adam but was too late. Carolyn says Adam has gone away for good and tells David to go downstairs and eat lunch; she wants to speak to Stokes alone. David listens in as Carolyn tells the professor she was surprised Stokes came up here without her permission. Mrs. Johnson told him Carolyn was out, explains Stokes. Carolyn wants to know why he told Barnabas she was keeping Adam; he only suspected, and Stokes confirmed it.
Stokes says he must find Adam--does she have any idea where he is? Carolyn doesn't know, she was shocked to find him gone--he never said goodbye to her (yes he did, yesterday). Stokes mutters THEY must have some sort of plan, they couldn't survive without one. Carolyn pounces on that. Stokes asks if she doesn't know about the woman. She's puzzled (and jealous?) Stokes says she was an old friend of Adam's, but Carolyn protests he knew no one around there, he told her that often--where did this woman come from? Stokes doesn't know. Carolyn gets petulant as she asks if he doesn't think it strange he told Stokes and not her? Stokes says it isn't the first strange act of Adam's. Why didn't Adam confide in her about this? asks Carolyn. Stokes says he doesn't know, he must keep searching for Adam. Why? asks Carolyn, if you're so sure he went away with this WOMAN, how do you expect to find him? Neither had any money, they couldn't have gone far, says Stokes. Carolyn hints he knows more about them than he's willing to tell--why is it so urgent to find Adam? Some other time, he demurs. She insists if Adam is in danger, she has a right to know--is he? Stokes is reluctant to respond, but says he might possibly be. David, who has listened closely, but walks away. Stokes says the fact that Adam set out alone places him in danger; he isn't fully prepared. What about the woman with him? asks Carolyn. Stokes says he'll learn that when he finds them. Carolyn, clearly upset, asks him to keep in touch.

Cemetery - David calls to Adam, searching amongst the tombstones. Willie and Maggie sit in the mausoleum, both exhausted. Maggie's face is blank, and she doesn't say a word. Willie hesitantly asks her to say something, anything to him--just speak to him--the look on your face is disturbing me--IF you aren't going to speak, don't look at me. . .all right, then he won't look at her--he can play games right along with her. He knows what she's up to, and it ain't gonna work. She's trying to bug him, but it won't work. His nearly-hysterical voice belies his words. Finally, he turns back and begs her for a break--he's doing this for her, so no one will hurt her.
He never treated her badly, putting her in a coffin like Barnabas, so why is she treating him like this? She gazes at him stoically, hatred blazing from her eyes. He screams at her, begging her to yell at him, get mad at him, call him names, but say something! He buries his face in her breast and, crying, begging her to say something. She closes her eyes as though his shouted pleas have gotten to her, but doesn't react in any other way. Crying, Willie stands, and she asks if he's ready to release her yet. Is that all you've got to say? he asks, incredulous. It's all she's staying alive for, she retorts, to get out, and he's going to help her do it. He can't let her out and she knows why, he says, and she counters that he can't continue to keep her here and HE knows why. Willie says he can last as long as she can. No you can't, she says, since you're the one feeling the guilt, not me. Guilt, he asks, what guilt? If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't alive now--"I SAVED YOUR LIFE!" he cries, pointing vigorously at his face with his thumb. That's a fine way to talk, he chastises her. She says she'll be patient and quiet with him, and when he's ready to. . .SHUT UP MAGGIE, he screams, and she agrees. He gets down on his knees and begs her to be herself, not to give him the silent treatment, she's torturing him and that isn't right. Maggie says that kidnapping someone and holding her against her will is OK, and he says not to get into that again. "All right, Willie, whatever you say," Maggie responds, and Willie buries his face in his hands. He tells her he has to go to the Old House and will be back as soon as he can. He doesn't like to do this, but. . .he must tie her hands and feet. She tells him to tie her up, do whatever he wants to her, but she'll get out somehow, some way. She winces as he tightens her bonds. Willie warns her not to think about working the secret panel under the door. He ties her feet. She asks why he has to go to the Old House. He's going for food, he says. She informs him she is going on a hunger strike. If you don't eat, you'll die, he protests. "That's right," she says. He asks if she wants to die. She informs him she'd rather die than be kept a prisoner here. Willie refuses to let her die. And I won't eat one bite of food as long as you keep me here, she says. Willie vows to go get food, and she's going to eat it, and she says eating is one thing he can't force her to do--and she isn't going to eat!--he can fill the place with food and gorge himself, tempt her, cry, get angry, plead, threaten, but she isn't going to eat. Willie insists she doesn't want to die, and she agrees that while she doesn't want to die, she will if she has to, and he knows who will be responsible. . . Willie gags her and says he isn't listening to her anymore. When she's hungry, she'll change her mind, because she's human like everyone else. Willie opens the secret panel and tells Maggie she's just gotta change her mind. He closes the panel, leaving her bound and gagged. Willie is plainly exhausted as he leaves, and David, hearing a sound, hides behind a tombstone. Willie plods downstairs and passes right by David's hiding place. David enters the mausoleum and closes the gate behind him. He surveys the middle panel for a few moments, reading the plaque, then sits on the middle coffin. He wonders if Willie was in the secret room. If so, why? Perhaps there's something in there he doesn't want anyone to see--maybe something horrible. David starts to go, but being David, decides instead to open the secret panel. David steps down into the secret room.
"Maggie Evans!" he cries, and she turns glad eyes toward him.

Willie is about to leave the Old House with a bag of food when someone knocks. He hides the bag behind a column and opens the door. It's Stokes, who says he must see Barnabas or Julia right away. Willie doesn't know where they are, and Stokes notes his nervousness. Willie has something important to do, so Stokes lets him go. The doors blow open and Willie wonders why. Stokes glances outside and says it wasn't the wind; the trees aren't moving. What's going on, wonders Willie. Stokes says it's here again. The chandelier and curtains begin to blow. Willie is spooked, and Stokes calls it the same astral projection that was there last night, after the experiment was completed. He thinks it has something to do with--what? Willie is anxious to get out of there, and the strange happenings stop. Willie doesn't care, he's leaving. Stokes stands in the middle of the room, calling it utterly fascinating.

Willie returns to the mausoleum, finding David sitting on the center coffin. He demands to know what he's doing here. David says he's looking for a friend of his. What friend, demands Willie hysterically. You, says David, which calms the handyman down. Willie tells him to return to Collinwood. David says he knows why Willie's here--he saw her--Maggie Evans. Willie goes ballistic--you were in that room? David says Maggie said a lot of things, screaming at him to hurry and untie her. Willie, frantic, opens the panel--Maggie is gone! He looks at the discarded ropes and gag and tells David he shouldn't have done it--"You shouldn't have let her go."

NOTES: What does this mean for Barnabas and the others? Did Maggie head straight to the police to turn them all in?

GREAT acting on the part of Karlen and KLS, absolutely amazing. Her eyes were filled with such enormous hatred, and he was so desperate for her to speak to him, then not so when she was blathering things he hated to hear!

Were you as surprised as I was to learn that David had a relationship with Adam all this time that we only just learned about?

This episode was excellent, taut and well-written.

599 - (KLS) - Darkness enshrouds the walls of the great house as it shrouds the walls of the Old House on the great estate. There is danger in this night, danger for Barnabas Collins, for on this night he may be exposed and destroyed.

Willie, frantic, returns to the Old House, calling for Barnabas. When he comes downstairs, Willie reveals that Maggie knows about him--and has now escaped! They figure she's on her way to the police, and Barnabas clings to the stair railing in despair.

Barnabas ponders--they'll find her. Willie says she left the tomb half an hour ago, and is probably weak. Barnabas says they must find her. When Willie asks if he'll hurt her when they do, Barnabas evades the question: "Let's just find her, Willie."

In the woods, Maggie clings to bushes and trees, willing herself to go on despite her exhaustion. She considers going to Collinwood, but realizes Barnabas might be there. She has to get to town, to the police!

Barnabas and Willie, holding flashlights, search for Maggie. Willie explains that David found Maggie and let her go--he admitted it to Willie himself. Barnabas accuses Willie of letting Maggie escape, and making up the story about David. Willie argues with him--it's the truth. Barnabas finds it hard to believe David wandered into the tomb and entered the secret room--how does David know about the panel?
He does, Willie assures him, he was lost in there once and that's probably how he knew about the secret room. (didn't Barnabas see David exit the secret room sometime back?) Willie complains they're wasting time talking, they should continue the search--they've got to find her!

Maggie wanders along, slowly, wondering what will happen if the police think her crazy. She was Julia's patient, committed to Windcliff. What can she do? Joe. . .find him. He'll believe her, protect her, tell her what to do. She continues to plod along, a decision now made.

Joe gazes out his window at the full moon. Night--he can feel her out there. He can feel her eyes watching him. He knows she's calling to him. Indeed, Angelique's eyes appear in his vision. He is shaking, looking seriously ill. He vows not to go to her. This time he'll resist her--he can't let himself go near that house, he has to stay in his room, not go out. Angelique, in black velvet with lacy throat and wrists, appears in his room. He didn't answer her call, so she came to him, she says--why didn't you come? He asks how she got in. She says it doesn't matter. Joe says he doesn't want her there. She says he knows that isn't true. She sits on the bed with him, touches his shoulder and says he needs her as much as she needs him. Joe denies this. "I hate you," he says, "I hate everything that happens when we're together." But you still needs me, she says. I wish that wasn't so, mutters Joe. It's all that matters, she says. It was dangerous for her to come here, he objects, she doesn't want people to know they see each other. Tantalizingly, she caresses his throat and assures him no one saw her, she's sure. He reacts to her caress, but says he doesn't want her to be here, please leave. You don't want that--look at me and tell me that. He climbs off the bed and asks her what she's done to his life--does she know? She says she knows he lost his job and his precious Maggie Evans. All because of you, he accuses. She reminds him he still has her, and he turns and screams in her face, "I DON'T WANT YOU!" She tells him to stop saying it, it isn't true, but he says it is--why must it be him, why not someone else? She says she wants him and shall have him. Joe looks defeated--she's right.

Willie finds Maggie's slipper in the woods. She didn't go to Collinwood, she must be heading for town. Willie doubts she was strong enough to make it into town.

Joe asks Angelique to go, leave him alone--I wish I'd never gone to Blair's house that night. You wish you'd never met me, she adds, but you did, and nothing can change that now. He supposes not.
Look at me, she implores. Joe resists. She tells him it's useless--turn around and look at me. She insists, and he is compelled to look into her eyes. She hypnotizes him and tells him he has no will of his own. He begs her, but she says he can't resist her, and forces him to say so. She smiles, asks him to put his arms around her. He does. Angelique first asks him if he's happy now--you want to be with me more than anything else in the world, right? Yes, he says, transfixed. Never forget that, she says, and don't ever try to resists me again. He promises not to. She tells him he won't after tonight. She bites into his throat, but as she's feasting, Maggie enters his room, spots the couple in the vampire embrace and begins to scream fiercely. Joe pulls from Angelique's grasp in time to catch his fainting former fiancee. Angelique looks on in anger.

Joe places Maggie on his bed and warns Angelique--she saw us! Angelique agrees it was unfortunate. They argue about Angelique's coming there--it was dangerous. Ang says the appearance of his "friend" was unexpected, but not to worry--she'll fix it. Joe asks how, and she assures him he'll find out shortly--he doesn't have to understand everything. When Maggie awakens, Joe orders Angelique to leave--but she is already gone. Joe holds Maggie, who sits up and anxiously asks if the girl is gone. Yes, says Joe--I'd hoped you hadn't seen her. Ashamed, Joe refuses to reveal the woman's name, but does say he wishes he could explain what she's doing to him, but he can't. Maggie stuns him by telling him she CAN understand--I know what the woman is and what she's doing to you--the same thing happened to me!--I was attacked the same way!--we must escape, both of us, get out of this town.
Joe doesn't think he can. You've got to try, Maggie insists--go to your car and drive as far away from town as possible. She slips her arm around his neck. Escape, he agrees, yes. She asks him to help her up, and he does. There's a knock at the door. She asks him not to answer it. He doesn't want to, but he has to, he says weakly. She asks him to wait--the person will go away, but he feels compelled to open it. She begs him not to--something terrible will happen! Nevertheless, Joe opens the door and she sags against the wall, twisting her head from side to side miserably.

Willie and Barnabas return to the Old House after their fruitless search. Willie's face is twisted with worry. Barnabas looks resigned. Willie suggests they search more, but Barnabas pronounces it useless--she escaped two hours ago. What will we do? asks Willie. Wait for the police, advises Barnabas, sitting in the chair at the desk--when they come, we will tell them Maggie is insane. Willie kneels beside Barnabas' chair. They can prove some of her story, objects Willie, take them to the tomb, show them the room, talk to David--they'll start an investigation. Willie covers his face, frantic--there must be some way out! Barnabas says there may be no way out. A knock at the door terrifies Willie. Barnabas tells him he will do the talking. Joe, waiting outside, greets Barnabas calmly, with a smile--he's here to deliver a message from Maggie--she wants to see him at his convenience. Barnabas is cool but apparently surprised as they bid each other good night. Barnabas goes back into the house. Willie wonders why Maggie wants to see him. Barnabas insists he must find out. Willie helps him on with his caped coat and the two of them leave, the doors bouncing open. Joe appears from the bushes, staring after them with a death mask of a face. (SCARY!)

At the Evans cottage, Maggie surveys a black and white drawing of Barnabas, her face inscrutable. Barnabas and Willie knock on the door, both nervous. Maggie, looking pretty in blue and red, answers and greets them calmly. The men are afraid to come into the house, but Maggie cordially invites them in, her face neutral. She asks if something is wrong. Willie starts to speak. Barnabas shushes him, explaining to Maggie that he was surprised she wanted to see him. It's not important, she says, handing him the sketches Sam made before starting his portrait--she thought he'd want to have them. Barnabas grins, exchanges amazed (probably grateful) glances with Willie, and accepts them. Willie asks if that's all she wanted, and Maggie says that's it. Willie is glad to let the matter drop. She tells him she's glad he came over too, it's been a long time since she's seen him. Just HOW long? asks Willie, as Barnabas listens intently.
Three or four weeks, she says, and Willie nods and grins like a jack o lanterns. She tells him not to be a stranger--stop by anytime. Barnabas thanks her for the sketches. She's disappointed they won't stay for coffee. They leave the cottage, stunned. Willie doesn't get it, but Barn figures someone got to her before she got to the police, erasing her memory. Julia, suggests Willie. No, says Barn, she tried and failed--Nicholas Blair must have done it--he's the only one who could. Why would Cassandra's brother help you? queries Willie. I don't know, replies Barnabas--someone has been helping us, first with Carolyn, now with Maggie, and it must be Blair. That doesn't make sense, says Willie. Barnabas figures Blair did it to further a diabolical plan--what could it possibly be?

NOTES: Really, one wonders why Nicholas has any interest now in helping Barnabas, Julia or Willie. Eve has been successfully created, so why protect the Titanic Threesome by saving Carolyn and silencing Maggie? And what was done to Joe? He seemed quite affable, but that look he gave after passing along Maggie's message was not at all friendly!

Angelique is a very sexy vampire. You can tell, however, that she must utilize all her powers, womanly and vampire, to keep Joe with her. That was quite the dramatic scene when Maggie burst in on them, mid-bite. Joe was astonished to hear that Maggie KNEW what was happening to him! We can only assume Nicholas Blair knocked at the door and did what he had to do to both Joe and Maggie to keep them unknowing, and quiet. If he can do all this, why does he need Adam and Eve?

Great pair of episodes, huh?

Love, Robin

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Robservations 8/9/02 - #598/599
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 08:00:50 AM »
I've said this already on the SciFi Board but as to Nicholas, we know he has his own interest in Maggie. I guess it suits him to have her forget those past things. And, while he has Adam and Eve, I suppose if the police started investigating Barnabas, the more recent things would turn up, too, and he probably would prefer that no one else knows about it. It's quite interesting, though, that aside from their memories, both Joe and Maggie seemed quite "healthy." Maggie, in particular, what happened to her weakness?!!

I had forgotten that we learned that David and Adam were friends, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm sure he would have noticed all of the people going to the West Wing and done his own exploring. What did surprise me was that Carolyn had told him that Adam wouldn't hurt him, so we know that Carolyn was aware of his visits.

And, apparently Nicholas has been erasing her memory, too. I can understand him causing her to forget her time as the life force and the summoning of Danielle Roget. But, after all of that, she had a nice farewell scene with Adam which she has evidently forgotten, too.

Josette
Josette

DVD

Re:Robservations 8/9/02 - #598/599
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 08:30:37 PM »
DVD episodes for May 3rd and 4th.
The 5th and 6th episodes on Set#10/Disc#3 (5th episode on MPI tape Volume #73 and 1st episode on MPI tape Volume #74)