Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0951  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0951
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 05:54:47 AM »
LOL...apparently!  HEY MB why don't you start a thread about the Barney discussion!  I thought about it but I can't think of a good title!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 06:30:13 AM »
I thought the grey was perfect, and essential in showing what a devastating thing had happened to Barnabas, rather than just saying it happened.   It had to be apparent to the viewer, yet not so obvious that the other characters would have to be idiots not to notice it.   They apparently hit upon aging him as a sort of compromise to make him semi-deathlike; well, the more you age the closer to death you are, I guess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:23 AM »
The gray doesn't make sense because becoming a vampire is supposed to stop your aging right then and there.  In the story of Josette that Barnabas told Julia not long before Vicky went to 1795, he indicated that he had offered to make Josette a vampire because she didn't like growing older.  But never mind, I was writing in another topic only a few minutes ago that I shouldn't expect Dark Shadows to be consistent.

Right now, I think of JF's demand to play another character as totally unreasonable.  Why?  Because Barnabas wasn't a peripheral character.   The lead actor playing the most popular character can't abandon that character and play a different part, and get away with it.
But that would be Frid's problem only if he were desperate to stay on the show, which I don't think he was.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:41 PM »
It had to be apparent to the viewer, yet not so obvious that the other characters would have to be idiots not to notice it.

Honestly, I think the other characters had to be idiots if they didn't notice it. I mean, Barnabas hair was black, then suddenly he had gray at his temples along with a Pepe LePu gray streak. How could anyone have missed it?!  [lghy]  But, of course, being that those not in the loop were mostly refined Collins, they never would have mentioned the change - though I certainly suspect that even they would have wondered to themselves how the hell Barnabas' hair changed so radically so quickly.  [wink2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 01:54:31 AM »
I think they needed to have the change make an emotional impact on the viewer.   Just showing him bitten wasn't enough.   It always had the desired impact on me.   It's a matter of emotional impact far more than logic.   They made Barnabas look considerably paler when he went back to 1897, which was a similar sort of decision.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 02:00:56 AM »
He should have looked paler in 1897 than in 1969 because he was a vampire for most of 1897.  :)  But this looks almost as if they were doing a Bride of Frankenstein on him. Thank heavens they didn't pile his hair up quite that high on his head.  [lghy]  I suppose we should be happy they exercised some restraint - not to mention that they eventually came back to their senses...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:05 AM »
He should have looked paler in 1897 than in 1969 because he was a vampire for most of 1897.  :)

Of course, and I suppose they could have done the same thing in 1970, and probably should have.   Then again, it might not be best for the same effect to be repeated.   As for its being inappropriate for Barnabas to show aging when revamping, presumably he wasn't going to get any older from that point on.   White hair isn't always a sign of age.  I went grey at 30-35.   It's sometimes a sign of shock, as with Sabrina.   Here, I think it indicated a sapping of life, and an overwhelming transformation.

It's the only thing I like in the story lately, forgive me!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:09 AM »
Oh, you don't have to apologize for trying to defend something you like. In fact, trying to defend something you like or believe in is a major point of debating the pros and cons of something.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
What an overwrought, knife-laden mess of an episode.  I guess I was supposed to feel for Barnabas when he couldn't bring himself to say the word "vampire," but in truth I just didn't care.

We're told that only the box can create new cult members, but what about the mighty Levia-dream, or the expert salesmanship of humans like Bruno and Strak?

A blooper-- Nelle's bite marks got uncovered too soon, so Julia put the scarf back over them til it was time for their closeup.

Yes, Barnabas, pour the accelerant (that is too a word, Spell Check!) around in a big circle, then stand in the middle of it to drop the match. ::)

Barnabas is a vampire again.
Quentin:  "He looks different, Julia."
Ya think??!!!

the Virginia woman... She must be one of those people looking for a cult to join.
I bet Strak had no trouble bringing Bruno in by promising him lots of opportunities to torture and murder plus all the women he could convert.

It's interesting that in a parallel word, Nelle has an identical counterpart in Collinsport who [spoiler]works in a bar identical to the one she wandered into.[/spoiler] Or is this one of those resemblances that we're not supposed to notice?

Barnabas feels her out, searching for some awful trait that will justify his feeding on her...
Nice!  Even though he probably was already thinking about how good her blood will taste, he did seem pleased to learn that she wouldn't mind a little killing or stealing.

Barnabas didn't care whether Megan was upstairs sleeping when he torched the place...
I didn't think of that.  You're right-- he never checked to see if she was there.  Ouch!!

Since Jeb can turn into "the most dangerous form that ever existed," wouldn't it be better to burn the building down while he's in human form so that he can't get back to the room and transform?  If Jeb were to escape out the window again in creature form and wreak havoc, how would Barnabas or anybody be able to stop him?  What am I missing?

I was surprised to see Bob O'Connell getting a credit at the end for playing the bartender, but the Blue Whale bartender did seem very much a part of the action today, even though he didn't say a word.
That surprised me too.  He didn't so much as grunt.  But it was the last appearance of Bob O'Connell, sniff.

Is this the last time we see the Blue Whale?
As the Blue Whale, yes.  In a parallel world, it made a different choice-- deciding that eagles are way cooler than whales.

Midnite-- Thanks.... The attachment of Barnabas's for Maggie that I wondered about was his overpowering desire for her right after revampirization.   He's obsessed with the fact that he can have her... tonight!   ...As if this had been a dream of his for ages.   Of course she's a friend, but when did he become Vicki II to Barnabas?
Ah, you meant his reason for wanting to bite her; I thought you were referring to his argument for NOT biting her.  I interpreted it as Barnabas finding he has the same compelling lust that he had when he was released from the coffin in 1967 and satisfied his urges (for a companion to replace Josette as well as for having a personal blood bank) soon after via Maggie.  As for her becoming Vicki II, I think that's something the writers have been pursuing vigorously ever since Maggie became governess #2.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »
I wasn't aware this was Bob's last apperance or had forgotten one!  [snow_sad]

And LOL about the Whales VS Eagles Midnite! HEE
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
Barnabas is a vampire again.
Quentin:  "He looks different, Julia."
Ya think??!!!

[stfl]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
It's interesting that in a parallel word, Nelle has an identical counterpart in Collinsport who [spoiler]works in a bar identical to the one she wandered into.[/spoiler] Or is this one of those resemblances that we're not supposed to notice?

Really?  I say we can notice it to our hearts' content.  It sounds like one of those rare instances when accidents actually make sense and help the storyline concept... except that she really ought to be in Virginia in PT.

Since Jeb can turn into "the most dangerous form that ever existed," wouldn't it be better to burn the building down while he's in human form so that he can't get back to the room and transform?  If Jeb were to escape out the window again in creature form and wreak havoc, how would Barnabas or anybody be able to stop him?  What am I missing?

Makes sense.   To me anyway.

I interpreted it as Barnabas finding he has the same compelling lust that he had when he was released from the coffin in 1967 and satisfied his urges (for a companion to replace Josette as well as for having a personal blood bank) soon after via Maggie.

A passable enough explanation, and a better than passable one if it explains the Vicki fixation too, though Vicki had more of that semi-refined or perhaps just educated air that might make him interested after crapping out on creating Josette Part Deux.  Maggie by this point is just a polyester scream machine.  

Barnabas really does sound as if he's had a thing for Maggie for the longest time, though.  Maybe it's the same old revision of the past, by just declaring the past to have been something else, that they resort to many times.   Willie declaring over and over how good Barnabas was to him in the early days leaps to mind.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 02:18:10 AM »
Barnabas really does sound as if he's had a thing for Maggie for the longest time, though.  Maybe it's the same old revision of the past, by just declaring the past to have been something else, that they resort to many times.   Willie declaring over and over how good Barnabas was to him in the early days leaps to mind.

I can't say that I agree that Barnabas had a thing for Maggie.  He has a history of treating her horribly, but recently began to see her as a close friend, though it never reached the level of his fondness for Vicki, to whom he even proposed marriage.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 04:15:16 AM »
I guess I am the only one here who thinks the grey streaks make Barn suddenly bear an uncanny resemblance to Grandpa Munster.

cheers,

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 04:24:58 AM »
DUH DA DA DUH DA!  Yep never thought of it G! LOL