Author Topic: Kitty Soames, Lady Hampshire  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Kitty Soames, Lady Hampshire
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:01 AM »
Does anyone know who created the character of Kitty Soames, Lady Hampshire, or remember anything about the character's history on the show? It's been a few years since I've seen the episodes in which she appears, but I seem to remember that there were insinuations that she had not been born "her ladyship," but may have been from another class all together -- and that she somehow rose in society to marry Lord Hampshire.

I was reminded of her character recently while watching a 1945 movie on TCM called "Kitty" with Paulette Goddard and Ray Milland. The movie was based on a popular novel by the author of the best-seller "Forever Amber" and was a costume drama about a low-class wench and "working girl"  [snow_wink] who, through determination and manipulation, makes it to the top of English society in the 18th century, eventually marrying a duke. As described by Ray Milland's character, Kitty is "a guttersnipe masquerading as a lady."

I couldn't help but wonder if the DS character was inspired by her, at least with the backstory – and, of course, her name.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty Soames, Lady Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:24:14 AM »
Kitty was [spoiler]an American who married Gerald Soames for his money. I don't think it was ever revealed for sure whether she loved him or not, but by Edward's account they were happy. I think it's probable she married for the money and either loved him or at least got along with him. My memory could be faulty. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
I think she started as the governess.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:03:45 AM »
Yep, governess for the Hampshire children.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
I always wanted to hear more about her previous history with Count Petofi. All that "you cant play your tricks on me like you did poor Gerald" stuff...  Petofi is a great character with such a deep and long evil history.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:25:51 AM »
I had forgotten all of this ... thanks everyone!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
I think that Kitty originated in the states, got into some difficulties here and then went to England where she met Lord Hampshire and married him.  I do believe they had a good marriage. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:53:32 AM »
My impression is that Kitty had no difficulties in the US other than not being born rich.  It occurred to me just now to wonder how she managed to get a job as governess for the Earl of Hampshire's children: I'm surprised that the Earl hired an American governess.  She must have had very good references.  Maybe she faked them.

As for whether or not she and the Earl had a good marriage, she claims it was happy, and Edward believes it was happy, but there was a lot that Kitty didn't tell, and Edward would surely view the British aristocracy through rose-colored spectacles.  I don't think we ever got the full story of how Gerald ended up in jail, and I can't remember clearly what we did get, but my impression was that Kitty was somehow involved.

But as Kitty was planning to marry Edward for the money she believed him to have, she wrote to her mother, "Edward is a dear," and I don't think she would have married into a situation that would have been too uncomfortable for her.  So probably her marriage to Gerald started out happy enough.

One thing that bothers me is that Kitty apparently didn't know the financial setup at Collinwood.  At the time when she was pursuing Edward, Trask was touting herself as Master of Collinwood.  That should have tipped her off to the fact that Edward didn't have much money, but maybe she was too distracted by the problem with Josette to notice.  Or else she may have decided that it was worth marrying Edward even without the Collins fortune, because living at Collinwood would be a nice, secure berth, but if mere security was her goal, I would expect her to aim for a husband in Boston or New York rather than in the wilds of Maine.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »
Kitty is an interesting character, an interesting strach for KLS from all the sweet ingenues she played. I wonder about Kitty's life in the original timeline. Did she marry Edward and live out her life in Collinwood? I've read speculation that she was the grandmother that Liz mentions in 1966. It certainly wouldn't have been Laura lol. Just one more area of DS open to wild speculation.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
I've read speculation that she was the grandmother that Liz mentions in 1966. It certainly wouldn't have been Laura lol. Just one more area of DS open to wild speculation.

However, it has to be Laura.  We know that Jamison was Elizabeth's father, and Jamison was the son of Edward and Laura.
Josette

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 04:12:23 AM »
Not necessarily.  Take for example Abraham Lincoln--he never knew his natural mother and regarded his stepmother as his "real" mother all his life.  If Liz as a child called someone "Grandmother" that doesn't follow that such was the technical nature of their relationship.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 05:05:20 AM »
I don't have anything to add but I really really enjoyed Lady Soames more than any other character KLS played.  This has been a nice discussion!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »
Take for example Abraham Lincoln--he never knew his natural mother and regarded his stepmother as his "real" mother all his life.
It's OT, but I have to mention that Lincoln's mother didn't die until he was 9.  I just read on a web site something that I hadn't known before: "In later years, Abraham would recall helping to carve pegs for his mother's coffin."

But his stepmother was also very important to him.