Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0939  (Read 2255 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0939
« on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0939
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:53:32 AM »
Fake-out Lara P voiceover?  She's not in this one.

How do they know who's coming back as a zombie, so they can give them the cheap balsa wood coffins?   Jeb reanimates Davenport, sends him to Collinwood, then shows up on the scene himself to talk crazy talk to Carolyn about their marriage tomorrow.   What's Davenport there for, to carry Carolyn away in case she refuses?   He seems stuck there with nothing to do.  I do like his rising though.  We get to ponder on his face as he looks out onto the living world again, but differently...   I can understand Davenport the zombie.   He wants to stay out of the ground.   Most dead people seem to want to RIP.

As for Jeb... "I have no control over myself."   That's what every girl wants to hear in an apology, I'm sure.   Who wrote that apology note to Carolyn for him?   It's too good to have come from him.

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »
When Carolyn was hostile to Jeb on the terrace, did he by any chance think to himself, "Barnabas may not have been entirely incorrect in his reasoning when he said Friday was too soon for the wedding"?  No, of course he didn't.

I guess it doesn't matter if the humans shake off the Leviathan spell, because now that Jeb can summon the dead to serve him, he doesn't need humans.  And it appears that Jeb was right not to worry about killing people: so far Sheriff Davenport's ghost hasn't said boo.

Barnabas has gotten a little further with his current poisoning plan than he did with the last poisoning plan of his that I recall: this time around his intended victim drank the poison.  But did Barnabas consider whether poison for humans will work on Leviathan shape-shifters?  Does the Book give instructions in the matter?  I doubt it, and I doubt that Barnabas consulted with Julia, either.  He was too busy sweet-talking Maggie today to talk to Julia.  I don't know what to make of the fact that Barnabas dug in his heels for quite some time in his effort not to involve Julia in the Leviathan mess, but he didn't hesitate for a second to involve Maggie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 12:41:39 PM »
Fake-out Lara P voiceover?  She's not in this one.

The voiceover was done by KLS. Once DC dropped the "My name is Victoria Winters..." voiceovers and different actors began doing them, there weren't any eps where the voiceover was done by someone who wasn't in the ep. Heaven forbid so far as DC was concerned because he would have had to pay them for only doing the voiceover.  [wink2]

When Carolyn was hostile to Jeb on the terrace, did he by any chance think to himself, "Barnabas may not have been entirely incorrect in his reasoning when he said Friday was too soon for the wedding"?  No, of course he didn't.

If only Carolyn had stuck with the impression of Jeb that she rightfully has in this ep,[spoiler]think of how much misery she (and the majority of the audience) would have been spared. But it was not to be. Though I swear Carolyn was under some type of spell and not operating with her own faculties. The Carolyn I know would never have discounted the multiple dreams she has that tell her the truth about Jeb. But that's a discussion for further down the line...[/spoiler]

And it appears that Jeb was right not to worry about killing people: so far Sheriff Davenport's ghost hasn't said boo.

Technically Davenport is a zombie and not a ghost. He's flesh[spoiler]as will be gristly proven down the road[/spoiler] if not blood.  ;)  (Though with the seeming lack of embalming in Collinsport, who knows on that latter point?  [b003])

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
Technically Davenport is a zombie and not a ghost.
I left myself open to misinterpretation, but I wasn't thinking about the Davenport entity we're seeing.  I figure that, as you say, the Davenport entity we're seeing is flesh and blood, and no spirit, whereas a Davenport ghost would be spirit but no flesh or blood.  I'm imagining the two of them meeting up with each other and saying, "Huh?"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 10:16:26 PM »
It's been a while since I've seen eps with dead Davenport, but I'm remembering that his story resembles the Voudou mythology of the sorcerer reviving a corpse with its spirit remaining tied to the dead body.  Once reanimated, the zombie is under the sorcerer's control, its spirit imprisoned and its mind devoid of free will.

Did you know that Zombi is the name of a powerful voodoo snake god?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 08:13:18 AM »
Is Zombi related to Gumby?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »
"I'm Zombi, dammit!"

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »
[sitting here giggling]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 09:56:51 AM »
Laugh all you want, my dear DS friends, but that zombie Sheriff Davenport, as a kid (watching this episode back when it originally aired), gave me the willies.... and I don't mean Loomis! I truly had nightmares during the Leviathan era.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
I'm guessing, then, that, unlike that person who wrote into Teen Beat magazine, you didn't think he looked like the long lost twin of Shemp from the Three Stooges.  [snow_laugh]  Or maybe it's just that you weren't into the Three Stooges... Or maybe you were even scared of them.  [snow_wink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »
"I'm Zombi, dammit!"

LOLs!

I actually can't picture Shemp in my head.  He was a sort of back row Stooge, and I didn't like the 3 Stooges.   Now I like them in a sort of strange laugh-at not laugh-with way.   And Davenport seems as scary as anything in Leviathans.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
Did you know that Zombi is the name of a powerful voodoo snake god?

I had no idea about this information Midnite. Thanks for passing it along! :) Very interesting since The L's are connected to the Naga which is a Snake God.  If anyone didn't see the post that I posted  in one of our discussions.   Look up Naga on Wikipedia as it's very interesting stuff!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »
Ed Riley is a trooper for spending as much time as he did under the peat moss.

Sandor, I hear you and though we jest, I think the only thing creepier than zombie Davenport was the possibility that there could be oceans of creatures just like him.  His appearance saved the ep from being a total snoozefest.

Jeb reanimates Davenport, sends him to Collinwood, then shows up on the scene himself to talk crazy talk to Carolyn about their marriage tomorrow.   What's Davenport there for, to carry Carolyn away in case she refuses?   He seems stuck there with nothing to do.

I don't think Davenport was sent there.  We saw him rise and just start walking, ending up at Collinwood and hiding when he heard Carolyn, and then, perhaps instinctively, he followed Jeb back to the Antique Shop where he was greeted and instructed for what seemed like the first time.

When Carolyn was hostile to Jeb on the terrace, did he by any chance think to himself, "Barnabas may not have been entirely incorrect in his reasoning when he said Friday was too soon for the wedding"?  No, of course he didn't.

I'm still trying to get past the fact that he never once considered that he was the one responsible for Carolyn's mental state.

and I doubt that Barnabas consulted with Julia, either.

I assumed it was where he got the poison, since Magda is no longer around to serve that purpose.

No stopper on the crystal decanter?