Author Topic: Julia's Hands & other habits  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
Re: Julia's Hands & other habits
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2002, 10:04:03 AM »
What really gets me is when some poor soul who has been kept in the dark for sometime about something (usually mysterious) finally starts to see the light and will ask about it, only to be met with the usual reply back "NEVERMIND!!"   Barnabas is famous for saying that one. ;)

I know what you're talking about Cassandra...like Barnabas will always just say"There's no time time to explain it to you ..." ;)
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2002, 10:06:50 AM »
The one that bothers me is "frightened". Someone never says their scared-they are always frightened. Never even afraid.

Another one is "destroyed". Julia will not be killed, she will be "destroyed". Barnabas is particularly fond of this expression.

-Lindsey

Could you imagine ..oh say..Julia for instance.."Barnabas..I'm skeered!"  ;D

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2002, 10:09:17 AM »
barnabas and nicholas did use the word "destroy" a lot...sounds like they are talking about a car or a toy instead of a human being..(wait a minute, half the folks arent human beings)..." i shall destroy you" ;D

lol...too funny~!

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2002, 05:16:16 PM »
"Thee Almightee" ....famous words of the great Reverend Trask...I cannot wait for the great Reverend Trask to show up again~
I don't know how the other actors kept a straight face while doing a scene with him..I don't think I could have done it  :P
The man was absolutely hysterical!

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2002, 08:09:23 PM »
In the beginning...Barnabas...used to blink a lot...

Hey, you would too if you were chained up in a coffin for 175 years!  ;) ;D

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2002, 09:05:12 PM »
What really gets me is when some poor soul who has been kept in the dark for sometime about something (usually mysterious) finally starts to see the light and will ask about it, only to be met with the usual reply back "NEVERMIND!!"   Barnabas is famous for saying that one. ;)

LOL, whenever I hear that I think of Emily Litella on SNL.  She would go off on some wild but well-meaning tangent and always finish with, "Oh.  Never mind." :)

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2002, 06:10:11 PM »
Much of the "hand wringing" and other actor mannerisms discussed on this thread drive acting coaches and directors nuts!  However, in the high stress world of semi-live tv, many of these quirks were useful for the actors in focusing themselves and dealing with their nerves(take note of how sometimes the hand-wringing, etc. becomes intensified when an actor has obviously "dries up," or forgotten their lines!).

And, as I'm sure you'll agree, many of these quirks became identifiable with the character, rather than the actor who played the role.  An example of a more thought out mannerism would be Prof. Stokes use of his monocle, or the way that, say, Nicholas Blair moves through space as opposed to Willie (status can be illustrated through physicality).

In many ways, the actors who were under day-to-day stress of a more-or-less live show were employing whatever survival techniques they had at their disposal.  By the way, knowing what to properly do(or not to do) with one's hands while onstage is among the trickiest skills to learn, along with practicing stillness, and just listening to the other actors!  Many, though not all, of the actors who were "guilty" of nervous mannerisms on the show were actually quite inexperienced, particularly in the tv medium.  

In spite of what many people think of Anthony George's performance on DS ("Burke Lite," etc.), you will note that his physical presence is consistently smooth and unhampered by these nervous ticks.  Perhaps his previous experience in television aided him- or perhaps he had an acting coach that stressed physical discipline.  Conversely, for all his physical discipline,he never really developed any distinctive, purposeful mannerisms that made viewing or listening to him more interesting.

Petofi

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2002, 06:28:14 PM »
Just finished re-reading a Fest Q and A with John Karlen (posted in the Archive) in which he commented on how little instruction he ever got from the directors.

You get the impression they just looked at him and said ..."and you.....you just....well, YOU know what Willie needs to do!" and left it at that!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2002, 06:38:46 PM »
I love it when she squints her eyes as if she's trying to see something (possibly the cue cards?) and tilts her head back...There was only ONE Julia...

Grayson Hall had the best expressions in the whole world. If you will look to your left, you will see one of my favorite Julia moments: her reaction when Nicky Blair introduces himself as Cassandra's brother. How can you not love this woman?!

No one can convey horror, confusion, collusion, vulnerabilty and authority (often all at the same time) better than GH!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2002, 06:42:19 PM »
Re Julia's handwriting:  I often thought that it was because Grayson was feeling a bit on-edge and playing with a glove, the bedpost or whatever was a way of keeping herself on cue with the scene.  The scenes were often revised at the very last minute, and the actors were often caught in a vise between getting their cues right, performing whatever camera blocking had been decided (sometimes not revised for the changed script), and dealing with any special FX or lighting tricks thrown into the mix.

I was impressed that as Hoffman, Grayson did not allow herself ANY of these mannerisms.  She seems to have enjoyed the challenge of that role.  But bear in mind that she played Hoffman in far fewer episodes than either Julia or Magda.

The handwringing was clearly in some cases part of the actual direction.  The most effective use of it that comes to mind was a scene between Liz and Jason when Liz's hands were in the foreground of the shot--beautifully managed playing from Joan Bennett and beautiful work from the cameraman that day.

Gothick

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2002, 02:18:07 AM »
Just finished re-reading a Fest Q and A with John Karlen (posted in the Archive) in which he commented on how little instruction he ever got from the directors.

You get the impression they just looked at him and said ..."and you.....you just....well, YOU know what Willie needs to do!" and left it at that!!

Rainey

According to KLS' "My Scrapbook Memories of Dark Shadows," as the show became progressively more supernatural, rehearsal time was absorbed almost entirely by setting up special effects and camera tricks; and direction for the actors was limited to "When you see the skull, turn to camera 3 and scream." ;D

As for Julia, my favorite gesture is when she puts her hand up to her mouth, as in surprise and alarm (i.e. finding a dead body missing moments later) - she puts the back of her hand up to her mouth, as if to fend off the offensive sight before her. :o

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2002, 03:24:17 AM »
My favorite GH mannerism is the way she nervously purses her lips, sometimes after every other word: "Barnabas [PURSES LIPS].  We must [PURSES LIPS] find her [PURSES LIPS].  We must [PURSES LIPS].  Now [PURSES LIPS]!"  

I have always been enthralled by the way Lara Parker can quaver her lips in anger.  I have tried to do this myself without moving my jaw, but I just can't.  It must be a fine-motor skill, like rolling one's r's.   ;)

And as for words like "frightened" and "fond," the one that comes to my mind is "rest."  No one ever sleeps at Collinwood.  They "rest."  And judging from how easy it is to find these folks at 3 a.m., up and about (and fully dressed), I don't think they even "rest"!

Ben

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2002, 03:26:55 AM »
Dr. Eric Lang said...
As for Julia, my favorite gesture is when she puts her hand up to her mouth, as in surprise and alarm (i.e. finding a dead body missing moments later) - she puts the back of her hand up to her mouth, as if to fend off the offensive sight before her.  

Lol! My sister always does that now! She has the whole Julia look down now. And she almost looks like her!

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2002, 06:51:53 AM »
The one that gets on my nerves is Maggie
when she sucks air through her teeth. I guess
you could say it's a gasp. This is usually followed
by "Oh Barnabas" or Joe or well I think you get
the drift.

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2002, 07:11:42 PM »
::)I liked petofi's and gothick's replies to this subject. I know I really couldn't watch a show in which the characters annoyed me---of course, minor things will happen. I notice that Carolyn very often stutters the word "I" at the beginning of a sentence. Also Julia and Barnabas use the word MUST as a logical reason for doing something. "Why are we doing this?"  "We MUST!"
So many mannerisms of the cast add charm to the show, I think. It's what DS is all about.

Forever a fan,  Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!