Author Topic: Julia's Hands & other habits  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas..you can nail me in your coffin anytime~!
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
Julia's Hands & other habits
« on: August 03, 2002, 04:56:32 PM »
My 14 year old daughter watches Dark Shadows with me sometimes and the other day she suddenly got up and walked out of the room and made the remark"I can't take anymore of  watching Julia wring her hands"....I never realized she did this  ?!?
I have noticed lara parker's lips moving sometimes when she's not saying anything..and Kate Jackson's eyes never stop moving when she's talking someone..and Roger Davis trying to keep a straight face without busting out laughing during most of his scene's..and carolyn (ever so gently) placing her long hair behind her shoulders...are there anymore habits others have that I didn't notice? I'm not nit picking..I just thought it was kinda interesting the habits of some of the actors  :)
Happiness isnt having what you want..it's wanting what you have.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Julia's Hands & other habits
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2002, 08:51:20 PM »
Well, from what I've seen, Lara blinks about 50 times per line.  Nancy Barrett often licks her lips before speaking.  Julia constantly tugs at her collar, but I haven't really noticed this with Grayson Hall's other characters.  

You forgot to mention how Roger Davis touches his hair.  ;)

ProfStokes

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2002, 09:32:46 PM »
Well, from what I've seen, Lara blinks about 50 times per line.  Nancy Barrett often licks her lips before speaking.  Julia constantly tugs at her collar, but I haven't really noticed this with Grayson Hall's other characters.  

You forgot to mention how Roger Davis touches his hair.  ;)

ProfStokes

yesssssssssss...he does~! :D
ok and how about my dear Barnabas and looking at the cue cards ??    :o

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2002, 09:42:56 PM »
Gosh I notice Julia's stammer and touching her throat. . but hand wringing I've not noticed. . ..::runs to VCR:::

Elizabeth and Barnabas THEY are always wringing their hands. . that I have noticed. . or at least holding them politely in front of their waists and rubbing their fingers. . .
Julia99

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2002, 09:56:06 PM »
Don't call me stupid...but what exactly is hand wringing???

Adra ?!?

P.S...I have noticed Julia moving her left arm a lot while talking.
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2002, 10:34:42 PM »
Everyone has nervous little body quirks, but with actors and actresses, it's right there for the world to see.  Barnabas was always rubbing his thumb over his forefinger.  Julia gasps or has sharp intakes of breath.  In early episodes, Carolyn was forever pushing her bangs away from her forehead (they tended to fall over her face, reminiscent of Veronica Lake).  

Gad, I would hate to be scrutinized this way!  I can imagine someone commenting on how often I touch my lips, or adjust my bra strap or turn my head from side to side (because my neck bothers me).  

Those little quirks are fun to watch, IMHO.  It helps make these characters human.  Who has more to be nervous about than Barn and Julia?  
   :o

Love, Robin

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2002, 11:05:38 PM »
Everyone has nervous little body quirks, but with actors and actresses, it's right there for the world to see.  Barnabas was always rubbing his thumb over his forefinger.  Julia gasps or has sharp intakes of breath.  In early episodes, Carolyn was forever pushing her bangs away from her forehead (they tended to fall over her face, reminiscent of Veronica Lake).  

Gad, I would hate to be scrutinized this way!  I can imagine someone commenting on how often I touch my lips, or adjust my bra strap or turn my head from side to side (because my neck bothers me).  

Those little quirks are fun to watch, IMHO.  It helps make these characters human.  Who has more to be nervous about than Barn and Julia?  
   :o

Love, Robin

Robin..honestly..I'm not picking on them..I think it's cute some of the things they do~! ;)

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2002, 11:14:03 PM »
for me, would be barnabas hands, whenever you see him in a full shot, his hands never seem to be relaxed, especially as he speaks.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2002, 11:18:44 PM »
Barnabas frequently clasps his hands together in front of his midsection (like he's an NFL referee signaling for a penalty).

Of course, when she's in fear of imminent danger, Julia Hoffman often throws up her arms, with her hands wide open, while squinting her eyes and opening her mouth wide open.  ("Oh, Barnabas, where are you!?!")

My favorite Julia Hoffman line is that question she often asks in that wonderfully authoritative tone of hers: "Jeff, What are you doing here?"  Or, as PT Ms. Hoffman to Mrs. Stoddard: "What are you doing in this room?" (in Angelique Stokes-Collins' room).

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2002, 01:40:47 AM »

Yes!! Lara Parker blinks like 9 miiiiillion times. Unless she's hypnotizing someone. OMG! And then she doesn't blink AT ALL! AHHHH! It freaks me out, I can't watch it. I literally turn my head away until I hear someone else's voice. It's sooo freaky. And then when she wants something, she'll go all flirtly on Nicholas and blink like forever in one line. AHH! It's crazy! She has skitzy eyes, lol.

NB licks her upper lip whenever someone else is talking, and she's thinking [hdscrt]

Liz, Julia, Carolyn, Vicki, Maggie .... OMG *everyone* holds their hands in front of them and plays with their fingers. Ugh. UGH!!! [angryf] [pissd] It's sooo annoying. I mean, I know people do it in real life, but it's sooo annoying to watch. [sick] I would think Carolyn would stand more with her hands on her hips in that kinda spoiled princess "I always get what I want" type of way. Or maybe she used to ..... I didn't notice it until ..... 1795, when Millicent had that lil handerchief thing. LOL And then we came back and Carolyn is doing it too. Bah! What else what else?
Barnabus and most of the men keep their hands at their sides, and then just twitch with their fingers. LOL It's funny. I love hands, so that's what I always watch. Barnabus has REALLY twitchy fingers, while Jeff's fingers doesn't twitch so much because he moves his arms more [to his hair .... can we get an emoticon of that??? Pleeeease? lol] [silly] Roger is kind of in the middle and David keeps his very straight ..... or so I remember.

Hehehe! I love this topic ^_^
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2002, 05:20:04 AM »
Well, from what I've seen, Lara blinks about 50 times per line.  

ProfStokes

Maybe she is winking at the camera men! ;D
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2002, 06:53:25 AM »
Liz, Julia, Carolyn, Vicki, Maggie .... OMG *everyone* holds their hands in front of them and plays with their fingers.

[snip]

Hehehe! I love this topic ^_^

Do you mean to say that you don't like Joan Bennett's very best finishing school pose?  ;)

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline WileyS

• Junior Poster
  • DS fan and bookaholic :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2002, 08:33:59 AM »

I didn't notice it until ..... 1795, when Millicent had that lil handerchief thing. Hehehe! I love this topic

Millicent and her handkerchief drove me nuts.

And not a gesture or anything, but there is one word this show uses so much and I can't stand it: "fond"
"She was always so fond of him", etc. It really grates on my nerves because it was sounds so insincere IMHO.

Wiley S.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2002, 10:16:16 AM »
the one that gets me is "your very kind"  arghhhhhhhh
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Maggie Evans

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Old House
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2002, 05:31:07 PM »

Millicent and her handkerchief drove me nuts.

And not a gesture or anything, but there is one word this show uses so much and I can't stand it: "fond"
"She was always so fond of him", etc. It really grates on my nerves because it was sounds so insincere IMHO.

ahhhhhhh yes..the dreaded "fond" word ;)       right up there with the ole "perhaps"..everyone on the show said "perhaps"....
Perhaps  "maybe" was considered slang?  ?!?