Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0935  (Read 1810 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0935
« on: February 12, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0935
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:16:44 PM »
If I remember correctly, the opening voiceover said, "Death hangs heavy over Collinwood."  Suddenly I was imagining Mr. Best hovering in the sky like the Goodyear blimp.

If the life that Amanda had after her 1897 suicide vanished into thin air, how is it that Julia can remember her?  I suppose one can dream up a vaguely plausible-sounding explanation referencing the fact that Julia knew Amanda before her 1897 death.  Never mind, what's really bothering me is all the thousands of people whose lives were brightened by seeing her on the stage.  They've lost a precious memory.

Chris Pennock did a fine job of being loathesome, and he did his best to make his character fit all the hip jargon that the writers gave to Jeb.  Man, cool, split, chicks.  Was there anything else?  Meanwhile, the day of reckoning is here for Barnabas and Philip.  They kept on believing - despite all the evidence - that things would be better when the kid grew up and learned some common sense, but it didn't work out that way.  If Joseph, the cute little baby, could have talked, what would he have said?

We learned that Sheriff Davenport had a wife, who is now a widow, and who bought several things at the antique shop.  I suppose that's how things work in a small town: you get a search warrant for a shop that your wife likes.  And you accept an antique silver tea strainer from the owner of the shop that you've just searched, and the owner knows you'll accept it.  Of course, if it had been the Collinses it would have been an entire silver tea service.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:51:06 AM »
LOL on the Best blimp, Lydia.

All I have in my notes for this ep. is (verbatim):  C.I.P.!   Bum bum BUM!   (Even though they didn't actually do the bum bum bums for that moment.)

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
In the DS universe, ghosts and apparently people are still remembered even if history is changed and they never haunted, in the case of ghosts, or they just vanished from the scene, as with Amanda. We see it with Quentin, Beth, Gerard, Daphne and Amanda. With ghosts, it's as if the effects of their hauntings are erased but not the memories of what they'd done. With Amanda they never really get too deeply into it, so we can't say with certainty how it works. But I suspect that it's something similar and that all the people who saw Olivia on stage would still hold their memories of her. How is any of that possible? Who the hell knows?! But it's the way DS works, so we simply have to accept it as one of the odder spacetime continuum rules in the DS universe.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:53 AM »
1/23/70

Very true MB!  And Lydia thanks for the laugh. I TRULY needed that!  [snow_wink]

This has been a very long night!  And now we see a young man in “the room”…hmm….

Julia looks as is she is going to pass out.  “Jebez Hawkes”  What an interesting name. I don't think I have ever heard the name before Dark Shadows.  A hippie Leviathan…I already don't like him.  Nothing against hippie's

“I’ve gotten to know him well enough to know he is very rude young man!”  Julia HA! Speak your mind honey!  I love Julia's looks. She just “cut down” Phillip with one eye glance!  Get ‘em girl! 

“You arrogant young fool!”  Good one Barney.  I do like Jebez watch and that is about it. 

I think one can see the nice rapport that DS and GH have as they do scenes

LOL--the bell blooper never gets old!

“Barnabas I mus be concerned with the people I love…and yes you Barnabas!” Julia  How sweet! 

Jeb is out of control!

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:01:20 AM »
Stray pointless thought: whenever I see C Pennock or D Selby, in the back of my head, I feel as if they must be uncomfortable in those small sets, since they're so big.  I imagine them having to be careful how they move or walk into rooms for fear of knocking stuff over.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
I always find it interesting that Chris Pennock auditioned to play Philip because Philip and Jeb couldn't be more different. And as much as I despise Jeb as a character, I do have to say that Pennock plays him very well. DC actually did a good thing when, after Pennock's audition for Philip, he said to save Pennock for jeb. Though, honestly, Pennock is certainly quite capable of playing characters very different from Jeb (for example, 1970PT's Cyrus), so who knows what his Philip might have been like had he been given the chance?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
Where did Jeb get his clothes?  Did the book tell David to get thee to the Big & Tall department at Brewster's?  And did Megan stash them in the fireplace and not tell Philip?

Julia to Quentin:  "In some way, Amanda was given a second chance at life. When that chance failed, all trace of her lice disappeared."
Heh heh

Again:  "Oh Quentin, Quentin, what you need is a new interest."
God bless Julia for thinking that tactic would work.

More personal information was revealed about Davenport in a mere 3 episodes than George Patterson in more than 40.  Those wacky small-town sheriffs, cuz separating himself from his gun with a murderer on the loose doesn't seem like such a good idea now.

My condolences to Magnus on the absence of Megan for what must be feeling like an eternity to him.

“Jebez Hawkes”  What an interesting name. I don't think I have ever heard the name before Dark Shadows.

The first time he introduced himself, I swear it sounded like "Jabez," the name of the character in The Devil and Daniel Webster that trades his soul to the Mr. Best-like devil (to improve his fortune, a la Paul's deal with the Leviathans).  But he pronounced it differently the 2nd time, and is Jeb short for Jabez anyway?  I'm so confused.

With Amanda they never really get too deeply into it, so we can't say with certainty how it works.

Yes, because if the desk clerk at the Inn doesn't remember that she registered, then did her agent remember she was a client, and.., oh, never mind.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »
Julia to Quentin:  "In some way, Amanda was given a second chance at life. When that chance failed, all trace of her lice disappeared."  Heh heh

ROFLMAO! OMG...I didn't notice that.  I will have to go back and watch that. I will be rolling!  Thanks Midnite!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:57:54 AM »
My condolences to Magnus on the absence of Megan for what must be feeling like an eternity to him.

Why thank you!   It was a long, hard road, Midnite, but as of #951 or so, she's finally come back to me!   

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »
Yay!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:17 AM »
And her husband is [spoiler]in jail, framed for murder,[/spoiler] and won't be bothering us!  Yay!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 03:19:24 AM »
Julia was already trying to figure out what was happening.

I can say that Jeb was more smooth than the other kids. Quicker on his feet.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate