Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0922  (Read 1587 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0922
« on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0922
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »
I liked that bridge set, and I liked the old-time-movie tone to Mr. Best's voice, but suicidal Amanda didn't do it for me.  The lines were trite as trite could be, and Donna McKechnie couldn't pull them off.

Given that Amanda was portrait-generated, it's interesting that Mr. Best was able to put her back together again after her great fall.

I noticed that Amanda didn't say anything to Julia along the lines of, "How wrong I was to doubt you!"  Too self-absorbed.  She probably never thanked Julia for putting her up overnight back in 1897 either.

I keep wondering why Charles Delaware Tate came back to Maine.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
CDT: "Quentin, don't you know anything anymore?"  I liked that.    I wondered if Amanda was wondering whether she was about to poof out of existence as Tate died...  Is that the Brooklyn Bridge?

I've just decided... I want to live to be a 100-year-old bitter, crazy recluse who scares visitors away with sound effects records and communicates through an animitronic dummy, and then die by getting ripped apart by a werewolf.  What can I say, he just made it all look so glamourous.   Hey, we all need a role model...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
Your hysterically funny Magnus! :) Thanks for the laugh!

1-6-70

Poor Chris! It looks as if nothing is going to end his the curse that he is under and poor CDT.  Julia looks fabulous in blue with her favorite jacket complementing the ensemble! 
The ever used afghan makes an appearance to comfort Charles Delaware Tate!   

Did anyone notice the shadows in the hall way which I think was Donna & Grayson waiting to make their entrance!  I know that no one wants to die but geez give it up already CDT!  Sorry that was insensitive!  LOL He listened to me….thanks so much!

The werewolf seems to really be fond of that particular rock!   Hmm….I wonder why the werewolf didn't hurt Amanda? 

Grant is looking quite delicious as usual!  Now we truly have conformation that Grant is Quentin since he alludes to drinking the nights events away.

I like the special effects used for the flashback scene.  Editing of some sort has come into play as that scene probably was shot before actually shooting the episode.    The stranger who is talking with Amanda needs to speak up as I am having a hard time hearing him! 

The stranger is Mr. Best--what an interesting name! I like the hotel lobby…it’s quite trippy and colorful.  “The stopping off place”  Oh come on could the writer not come up with a better name than that?  One has to wonder why Mr. Best took such an interest in Amanda?  There seems to be a cut after Donna's line  “My mirror told me I hadn’t”
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 02:47:11 AM »
Your hysterically funny Magnus! :) Thanks for the laugh!
I know that no one wants to die but geez give it up already CDT!  Sorry that was insensitive!  LOL He listened to me….thanks so much!

Thank you sir... and LOL...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:56:34 AM »
Well he was was over probably somewhere near 100! That is a good long life!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 01:53:57 AM »
I offered you a chance, and am offering again--you were meant to live a long, natural life, and I'll give you the rest of it

hmm...(to the tune of Frosty the Snowman  [snow_smiley] )

she was made off oil, didn't need a moyel...oooyyyevaaaah!

NATURAL!?

I don't think so Mr. Fong!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 11:05:22 PM »
The ep opens with Chris' portrait magically returned to the easel, cuz it was on the floor the last time we saw it.  Blooper-- Tate's front door slipped open as Quentin arrived, and he closed it since he wasn't supposed to rush inside til after the title sequence.  As the werewolf fled the house, a man off camera said something like, "I need your key right now."

What did Julia whisper in Q's ear?  He answered that he'll do it, but I have no clue what any of that meant.  A vicious animal was on the loose, but the characters went on about their business as if it wasn't.

In our discussions to date, we've forgiven the lycanthropes for their sins because they can't help themselves.  But this time I'm not sure we can.  Chris forced a man in his late 90s (earlier, it was said that CDT was in his late 20s near the turn of the century) to remain with him in a room without any way to summon help-- Chris dismantled the intercom, the house had no phone, and the guard dogs were somewhere on the other side of the locked door.  The moon was close to rising, but he kept the key inside his own pocket though he knew about the paralyzing pain that was to come... unless the portrait did its job, even though the painter swore that there was no way it could.  Did Chris commit murder?

I liked that bridge set, and I liked the old-time-movie tone to Mr. Best's voice, but suicidal Amanda didn't do it for me.

Same here!  I also liked Mr. Best's face.  He was no Robert Redford, but sweet and gentle just the same.  And I wonder if the writers were drawing from that TZ, btw, because RR has a line to the old lady that what she thought was the end was the beginning.  Amanda to Julia:  "The beginning was another ending."

The werewolf seems to really be fond of that particular rock!

This time, you can see that he's climbing up onto a wood platform built on top of the rock.  ::)

Hmm….I wonder why the werewolf didn't hurt Amanda?

The wolf suddenly turned around, as if it sensed someone or something behind it, and then retreated, and my take is that it was Mr. Best.

There seems to be a cut after Donna's line  “My mirror told me I hadn’t”

The shots jump about at that point on the video too, but the music plays seamlessly.  I don't know if that's what you saw, Taeylor.

Mr. Best to Amanda:  "I hope you're ready."
Yes, yes, take her away, puhleeze!!!!!!!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »
Oh, and the end credit already says 1970!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 01:08:45 AM »
I actually think we find out in 922 [spoiler]that Mr Best is the one who keeps the wolf from her.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 02:44:16 AM »
Midnite-- happy 8000!

Chris clearly meant for the threat of an impending werewolf assault to motivate Tate, and was desperate enough to take the risk.   Did he commit murder?   Sort of.   Not really.  It was all pre-meditated, but Chris's plan was for Tate to live.  More like extreme criminal negligence?   I know nothing about the law.

Chris did not need to be that desperate, I thought just now, since if he'd stayed at Wyndcliffe no one had to be hurt.   On the other hand, once he had put himself in Tate's house with the full moon appearing, he was understandably desperate, enough not to think clearly.   

He was human with flaws.   I think any of us might act that way.   He's probably where a lot of us are, halfway between guilty and not guilty.

Would Chris have ever gotten Tate to paint him without a threat to his life?  Doubtful.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 04:21:25 AM »
Why, thank you, Magnus!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
In some ways it was bad that Julia put the idea in Chris's head about a new portrait.

I know when in the episode that Chris put the key in his pocket, it was all over.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate