Author Topic: Long live the original Barnabas storyline!  (Read 2795 times)

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
Long live the original Barnabas storyline!
« on: December 19, 2009, 12:49:48 AM »
I just watched episodes 241/242, and I think that the original cast were awesome. The original premise of Barnabas, Josette, Dr. Woodard, et al., was really something quite special. For instance, anybody notice how stupid the writers made "Josette"? Boy, Barnabas sure likes them stupid! And speaking of stupid, I'm sure all of you noticed the classic gaff "microphone" insted of "microscope" from Mitch Ryan - and you get the feeling in this period that when he looks at his drink, he wishes it's more than just tea - ha ha!  [drunk22] Also, it seems that Jonathan Frid actually studies his scripts the night before. His performances are stupendous, obviously the reason Dark Shadows was given another thriteen weeks of life.  [8_2_74]

Dr. Woodard, of course, played by actor Robert Gerringer was note-perfect from the word "go". Also notice that Dr. Julian Hoffman was a man. It seems likely that during this period Dan Curtis was probably hanging out in the control booth. You get the feeling that he was much more hands-on than in the later episodes. While little David's acting skills leave a little to be desired (he'll acquire them later), for the most part all the actors are giving it 110%.  [santa_cheesy] It's interesting to see the crossover from boring, hum-drum daytime soap opera fare into imaginative, surrealistic story-telling. No wonder why they had to change it from 3:30 to 4:00, as the original viewers - mothers and housewives doing their laundry and cleaning house - would't stand for such shenanigans.  [a_xmas]

I know all of this has probably been discussed add-nauseum, but I just couldn't help writing how I feel about these early episodes.  [love5] If any of you wish to add your thoughts and comments to these wonderful early Barnabas episodes, please feel free - Merry Christmas.  [8_2_76] 
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Long live the original Barnabas storyline!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
Yes, early Barnabas is a fantastic storyline, at a time in Dark Shadows when the supernatural isn't taken for granted by any of the characters, and when the writers had a clear idea of where the story was going.  I would like to have seen the end, in the series, of Barnabas as Dan Curtis originally imagined it.  I know that House of Dark Shadows is supposed to have shown it, but by that time I'm sure there were changes, and, though I haven't seen the movie, I understand it was a whole lot bloodier than anything that was ever seen on the series.  I don't do well with blood, so I would like to have seen the toned-down TV version.  And then, of course, we would learn that it was all a dream, and go on with the show as it actually played out.

Later on in 1967, when it was decided that such a popular character as Barnabas couldn't be killed, it seems the writers lost the sense of where they were going, or where they could go with a vampire who couldn't be killed off.  That part of 1967 is still good, but for different reasons.

Also, it seems that Jonathan Frid actually studies his scripts the night before.
Give Frid a break.  My understanding is that he always studied his scripts, but his memory just wasn't made that way, and that later on, being tired from all the outside appearances didn't help.

fanforever, would you be interested in putting some comments in the Watching Project topics?
Discuss - Ep #0241
Discuss - Ep #0242
MB has said if he ever has time he's thinking of putting them into a board of their own instead of scattered across six (soon to be seven) Current Talk boards.  Of course he'll never have time, and I wouldn't think of complaining because everything that he does do is so wonderful.  But I still like seeing a buildup of conversation about each episode, even if it can be hard to find.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »
Never say never.  [santa_wink]  Once the Depp/DS film gets underway, new areas will need to be created on the forum so that people who want to completely avoid the temptation of seeing spoiler topics and such can do so while still being able to take part in other discussions. So, one never knows what other areas might be created at that same time...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:05:19 PM »
The whole cast of DS got their scripts the day before the next shooting episode so, yes, Frid studied his script the night before as did everyone else.  He wasn't given the gift of being a fast learner of lines which is essential for soap actors. Now it doesn't matter so much since you can get all your mistakes edited out before the show goes on the air.  No small gift, that. [8_2_81]

Also, it seems that Jonathan Frid actually studies his scripts the night before. His performances are stupendous, obviously the reason Dark Shadows was given another thriteen weeks of life.  [8_2_74]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:30:11 PM »
This is my favorite DS storyline, and the first I saw in reruns.  I liked the alternating with a regular soap opera story and the supernatural.  After the Jason story ends, they should have had Paul Stoddard return and use this for another regular soap style storyline.

The latter part of 1967 is interesting, because as you say they don't seem to know where to take the story to and it shows.  When Willie is written out, it seems that when they were changing their plans for Barnabas.  They were removing the two main protagonists (Burke & Woodard) and left the show without a hero for about a month until 1795 began.  The show during this time just seems undirectional. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:03:15 AM »
I think they knew exactly what they wanted to do with the character of Barnabas, and that was to tell his story in 1795.  To do that, they had to give 1795 priority, and while they were very busy preparing 1795 behind the scenes, they had to disengage from 1967.   So 1967 filled time and spun its wheels.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
regarding frid, i find it amazing that he is a respected shakespearean actor, and he used to goof on the show.   but as stated above, he was tired and not a fast memorizer.   

i guess doing shakespear takes longer studying and memorizing.   

all and all a good actor, because in the movie he sure did play barnabas 1) in a different light, and 2) amazing.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
Yep.  When doing a play you usually have three weeks to rehearse and memorize lines.   I know many stage actors who dislike TV work because the pace is so much faster when learning lines and your character.  It's definitely not for everyone.

The whole thing about Frid being a "Shakespearean actor" is a bit of a myth.  Sure, he played many Shakespeare roles but most of his stage work was NOT Shakespeare at all.  He is a classically-trained actor as were most actors of his generation.

nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »
In 1985, a fanzine published numerous (edited) letters Frid had written to his mother back in Canada during the run of the show.  After the introduction of Barnabas and even after the first contracted 13 weeks had passed, he was trying to decide whether or not to do another run at the Old Globe Theater or pursue his original goal of teaching at a university in California.   I am going by memory here but I believe it was around October of 1967 when it was first presented to him that they wanted to show the background of how Barnabas became a vampire.  That was not the intention in the very beginning when the character was introduced since no one had any idea how popular he would become. 

Nancy

I think they knew exactly what they wanted to do with the character of Barnabas, and that was to tell his story in 1795.  To do that, they had to give 1795 priority, and while they were very busy preparing 1795 behind the scenes, they had to disengage from 1967.   So 1967 filled time and spun its wheels.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 03:33:36 PM »
I have a book collecting those letters, I think it's in "Jonathan Frid: An Actors Curious Journey" or a fan made collection.   I havent been able to find it yet.

I do remember one letter stating that Dan Curtis told him his last air date would be in October 1967.  In a letter after that, he wrote his mother he was told he would leaving the show in November 1967.  Shortly after that he wrote that they were going to be doing a flashback to how Barnabas became a vampire.

I don't know offhand the dates the letters were written.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
The letters may be in that book, but I know for sure they're in one of Bobubas' Collinwood Collection books. I forget which volume (there are three), but he's a member of the forum, so anyone interested in getting a copy should e-mail him and I'm sure he'd provide ordering info.

The letters are really a fascinating read because it's quite interesting to see how, as Barnabas became more popular, they were basically plotting the show on an almost month to month basis (which is one of the reasons the Seaview storyline got cut short before it really even began) with no concreate endgame for Barnabas until they finally decided he (and Julia) was (were) too popular to kill off and came up with 1795...

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
Jonathan only gave permission to one fanzine to print his private (edited) letters to his mother and that was Jonathan Frid Compendium in 1985 and then it was re-published in 1986.  I know because I was part of the 1986 edition process.  He has not given permission to any other zine.  I know that some of the entire (unedited, personal) letters made it out of his apartment under mysterious circumstances and that is what wound up in the Collinwood Collection somehow.  Frid wasn't thrilled with that as he had only ever intended to make edited parts of the letters available to the public which were about Dark Shadows. But, what can you do? Unfortunately, these things happen.

You're right - the part of the letters concerning DS are quite fascinating to read and memorializes on paper what was going on at the time and how he found (and when he found out) about how the show was evolving with Barnabas.  MB, I believe you and I uploaded those letters focusing on DS someplace around here?  Didn't we? It would be great for the newer fans to see.

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
that is what wound up in the Collinwood Collection somehow

Weren't they auctioned off at one of the '90s Fests?

MB, I believe you and I uploaded those letters focusing on DS someplace around here?  Didn't we? It would be great for the newer fans to see.

That was back on AOL's DS Online, which is no longer.  [santa_cry]  I probably have printed copies of them around here somewhere - but where that somewhere is I have no idea at the moment. That's the problem when some might say you have too much DS stuff packed away.  [santa_grin]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
Weren't they auctioned off at one of the '90s Fests?

A fan who got ahold of copies of the letters sold them privately.  This individual had been in and out of Frid's apartment during the initial project when the letters were being worked on to include in the original fanzine in 1985.  If any of the edited letters were sold at a DS auction - I don't recall that happening.

I might have the letters around here.  As I am newly unemployed again for the season, I might have the time to find them. [8_2_76]

nancy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:58:27 AM »
fascinating...

i find it quite stunning that as late as october/november 1967 the barnabas character(and frid)still had an out date when by that point he clearly owned the show.

i mean after this what were they going to do? go back to a cannery storyline?

for me 1967 is THE year. when i first watched this thing through a few years ago i watched those episodes as if under a spell. i was mesmerized. it felt so fresh and organic and uncontrived.

when the program returns from the 1795 sequence and the adam storyline takes over the tone becomes too adolescent and gimmicky.

but here...the seance,the costume party,the night of the storm when vicki spends the night at the old house...for me this is where the magic is.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.