Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0900  (Read 2086 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0900
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0900
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
What an interesting development!  The thing without a soul doesn't want Paul Stoddard's soul, it wants Carolyn.  Not just her soul, apparently, but the whole kit and caboodle.  Maybe her soul's no good to the thing unless it tears her soul out of her with its own soulless hands.

Early in this episode, I was thinking about how annoying it is that people in movies act crazy about real threats so so that nobody believes them and nobody helps them address the problem.  Then I thought about what we have learned so far about Paul Stoddard - i.e. that he's a coward - and I forgave the Dark Shadows writers.

What exactly happened 20 years ago?  Did Paul Stoddard have that conversation in the Blue Whale?  It seems quite possible to me that he did not, and that the memory was somehow created.  The Leviathan gang doesn't seem terribly honorable to me.  On the other hand, what would be the point of creating the memory?  Couldn't they just grab Carolyn in the same way that they have, psychologically, grabbed Barnabas, Philip, and Megan?  Or maybe the bargain with Paul Stoddard was necessary because they needed Carolyn to be given freely.  (Handed over like a sack of potatoes and without her mother's consent, but never mind about that.)  Maybe something in the book decreed that Carolyn must be given, not taken.  How, then, did they pull off that 20-year-old conversation in the Blue Whale?  And why did it have to be Carolyn who was given?

Also, assuming that the encounter in the Blue Whale did happen, was it the cause of Paul leaving Collinwood?  If it hadn't happened, would Paul have stayed at Collinwood, never brave enough to leave and strike out on his own (with the help of what he could steal from his most precious possession), so that Elizabeth wouldn't have whacked him with the poker and wouldn't have let go all the servants (poor innocents) and wouldn't have stayed inside the Collinwood estate for a couple of decades?

Did the Leviathans cause the pentagram to get lost?  If so, does that indicate that, contrary to what the sailor said to Paul Stoddard, sitting inside the five-pointed star wasn't going to help him?

Meanwhile we've got Julia making a small start on figuring out what's going on, and Barnabas unable to stop her because he's too driven to be able to hide his feelings successfully.  I love it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Episode 900! What an accomplishment! That is a lot of episodes for a show to shoot.  Although it was 40 years ago congratulations are in order! [8_2_59]
Grayson’s blooper always makes me giggle a bit!  “If Amanda…Olivia Corey!”  Come to think of it, was that a blooper or was Julia just getting confused because she suspects that Olivia is in fact Amanda?

Grayson looks particularly gorgeous today as I always enjoy seeing her in blue.  The brooch is a nice touch and her hair is styled a bit different and her makeup is festive.  All around nice day for GH on the looks factor!  Per usual though I am pretty biased on the GH front! :)

I just love Julia reading Barnabas! Get ‘em girl!  Great fun! And boy did his ass deserve it after saying she sounded like "A hysterical woman novelist!”  SHUT UP Barnabas!!  Grrr...“See how bad  a detective I am!”  Julia snaps back!  Let him have it red!

You know I sometimes wonder if The Blue Whale is a hell dimension where one is tortured by having to hear the same 3 songs over and over again.  I know I would crack if I were a customer!  Perhaps that is why there is never anyone there?   

Great reveal of Barnabas sitting at the table!  One can surely tell that JF loves playing Barnabas with his new Leviathan personality! 

Okay the For He’s A Jolly Good Fellow man is creeptastic! In her review Robin said that she is still haunted after thirty years by this scene and I can totally see why. Eww....he is just icky!

Nice switch between scenes in 1949 and 1969 but who would set a random radio on the bar when the jukebox is in full swing?  Maybe it was the Leviathans that did it  for effect? TEE HEH!

Oh My Lord! An extra! Alert the media! 

I give great kudos to Jonathan Frid for his performance during this episode.  The scene between him and Dennis is in my opinion a classic DS scene.  If he hasn't, Jonathan should use this scene at the fest to talk about.  He has been doing that the last couple of years has he not?? 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:15 PM »
D Patrick with the very real scream of terror again.... I feel like that all the time.   Stoddard: "Who is Barnabas?"   You really don't want to ask that!   Carolyn should start to see some supernatural connections between the two pentagrams, Stoddard, the cairn, and Barnabas at this point, rather than pshawing it all.

Julia wonders at BC's general disconnection, then sees him wake up when Carolyn's in trouble, clue #1.  That was clever.  "We'll see how bad a detective I am!"   Good one Julia.  

I identify with Paul Stoddard.   I know what it's like to have a severe problem that is hard to talk about and which you have to have help for, making it necessary to go from one person to another, only to find that people's urge to dismiss anything unusual is just too strong.   I imagine he himself was thinking how crazy he sounded, as he listened to himself, but couldn't find any other way to say it, especially when terrified.  As for his being a coward, maybe, but then this isn't just a TV show for Stoddard.   We've never been in that position.   [spoiler]And as it turns out, he has every reason to be terrified.[/spoiler]

At the Blue Whale... P Stoddard couldn't see Barnabas until he was on-camera!    Did the Naga disappear just before that because it was no longer needed, because BC was there?    Good Barn never takes any joy in anything-- but evil Barn smirks happily at others' impending doom.   He's happier being evil.

Oh no, Garth Blackwood had a shave and he's terrorizing 1949 Collinsport!  No...  That actor's really good.   Why seek out PS in 1949?   Because they know Carolyn will be a well-placed heiress when Barnabas arrives back in Collinsport?

I like Stoddard laughing his head off about losing his soul.   Interesting reaction.   What if he hadn't made the deal (which he really hadn't since it was all hypothetical)?   Would they really not have been able to use Carolyn?   Would they just have slinked away with their tails between their legs?   [spoiler]At no point did Carolyn go into their custody.  I don't think they ever controlled her.   Everything happened with Jeb and Carolyn just because of her usual great taste in boyfriends I think.   So how did they "own" her?   Maybe they pulled all this on Stoddard just to drive him nuts and make him non-credible, so he wouldn't be an effective enemy.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
Hey Magnus and Lydia just wanted to add that I really enjoyed both of your posts. They made me think about several things that I hadn't considered! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:15:03 PM »
Thanks T!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
Carolyn to the front desk:  'Did Mr. Prescott leave any messages for me?"
How could Paul be registered under that name?  I thought "Prescott" was made up by Carolyn at the spur of the moment in an effort to fool David.  No?

Paul to his crazy self:  "The Naga, it's gone!" [from his wrist]
Okay, I know the sailor didn't call it a Naga, so how'd Paul know to call it that?

Lydia, I do think the flashback was real, but that it didn't have an affect on Paul's actions that day because he thought it was just a drunken game.

I also loved the confrontation between B & J, evil Barnabas' chat with Paul, and the flashback.  It's due to great acting like we get here and in the previous ep that I can't yet say that this storyline is bad.  The actors are workin' it!  BTW, I think your suggestion of a scene for Frid to discuss is terrific, Taeylor.  

The 1940s bartender was played by Jean Pierre Boru.  Or Boro, if you believe the Incorrect Movie Database.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »
I wanted to smack Barnabas for that bad detective remark to Julia. But she gave it right back to him with "See how bad a detective I am" comeback. She's figured out that whatever is making Barnabas so cold and unattached, he only becomes truly emotional when it comes to Carolyn. Better watch out, Barnabas or else "bad detective" Julia is gonna find out what you're up to!

I too loved the scene between Barnabas and Paul. We rarely see Barnabas laugh...it's too bad he's in evil mode here. Then again, it isn't. Whenever Barnabas laughs, whether he's good or bad, it's precious to me because he rarely laughs or smiles.

For many years, I had never realized that the guy in the bar was also the same guy who played Garth Blackwood and [spoiler] also Horace Gladstone in the Parallel Time storyline [/spoiler] It was because he was without the ghastly wig and beard that made him so unrecognizable.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 04:24:36 AM »
I am see this part of the show many years after it was done.

I still remember the scene in the bar and Barnabas being so evil. This must have been fun for JF
to do. It must have been hard to always just play the nicer Barnabas.

But the kids of the day, might really see this as strange.

I hope that you guys can put up with me while I catch up. :)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:15 AM »
Go for it, loril54!  Can't wait.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 05:27:03 AM »
Yes indeed, lori54!  It's good to hear from you again!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 06:58:51 AM »
Yes indeed, lori54!  It's good to hear from you again!

Ditto.  I wondered where you were....

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:35 AM »
Working, and I got really behind.  I am doing a DVD Marithon every weekend. A great way to not have as much stress.

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 03:43:18 AM »
Good to see you posting again, Lori. [ghost_smiley] Don't feel bad, I've fallen behind myself....again!