Author Topic: Regarding the '91 Series DVD Set?  (Read 3768 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Regarding the '91 Series DVD Set?
« on: December 03, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
Prompted by Vlad's recent post about the MPI DS DVDs at amazon.com, I just did a search there for DS and discovered something I had no idea about: apparently back in January of this year Sony reissued the '91 series DVD set. The original version, which, to say the least, was horrible, came out in October 2005, and amazon.com is indicating that it "has been discontinued by the manufacturer." The new version has a somewhat different (and some might say better) cover (given that the photo of Ben Cross is more prominent and the house that has no relationship to the show is gone). Dare we even hope that this reissue is a corrected version of the series - meaning correct day-for-night and correct aspect ratio?  [beg2]  Amazon's product details for the new set says the aspect ratio is 2.35:1, whereas the old is 1.78:1 - but as we well know, amazon.com isn't above having the wrong info. But if it is the case that things have been corrected, wouldn't we have been alerted to that fact by, say, something like Shadowgram or the Fest? Or perhaps they're not even aware of the reissue...

Has anyone seen this reissue in any stores?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the '91 Series DVD Set?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:31 PM »
The review I read for the set at Amazon say it's the same set as the original release just with a different cover.
I was hoping a corrected set with the uncut versions of the episodes would be included. It really burns me up that they couldn't even be bothered to have the quality of the dvd boxset be AT LEAST as good as the vhs releases.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
MB you almost gave me a heart attack. jk That would have been so great if they corrected the flaws in the original release as you suggested. I remember reading about this at Stuart's site http://www.collinwood.net/news/2009_03_01_archive.html

With the new Dark Shadows movie eventually being made perhaps MGM/Sony would spend a dollar or two and put out a corrected version with all of the extras found on the VHS version? I guess that may be asking for too much.

I do like that new cover too. It's kind of sad that they only changed the cover for marketing purposes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 01:31:21 AM »
The weird thing is that I did a Google search for the new set and every site that lists the aspect ratio indicates that it's 2.35:1. If that's true, it can't be the same as the original set. But then, a lot of other sites "borrow" the product details from amazon.com rather than put them together themselves. So, if amazon.com's listing is wrong, they're all wrong if they simply "borrowed" the details.  [santa_rolleyes]

I'd love to get my hands on a copy of the new set just to see if it does say 2.35:1. Not that even that would mean anything because, given how Sony botched the transfer, listing the wrong aspect ratio on the box would be nothing for them...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:33:50 AM »
I thought I was going crazy when I first watched it and it looked like Barney was standing in the daylight (which BC was) summing Caroyln!  Thankfully I was clued in on this mistake during the '91 WP that I so need to finish! We should all try to resurrect that forum.  I loved hearing the mods thoughts and everyone else on the board as well!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 08:11:17 AM »
Speaking of the '91 series, has anyone seen it on Youtube?  It is very strange to say the least.  From the weird logo Youtube uses to advertise the series to the branding of the show as "adult" (18 or older to view with warnings against Language, Sex, Nudity, and Violence).  What?!  Okay, so there's a little sex and violence, but language and NUDITY?!  This was on NBC in 1991 for goodness sake.  What are they thinking?!

See this weirdness for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=0I_m0Usbcxc&feature=fvsp

The aspect ratio looks different from that of the DVDs, but the "day for night" has not been corrected as, in the scenes I have seen, Barnabas is still prancing around in dreary daylight.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
The entire series - all episodes - is also available and free to watch on Hulu.  I'm not sure if it's the "original" or the "messy one."  I watched it there again a few months ago since I haven't seen it for probably a dozen-or-so years ago, the last time it was re-ran on Sci-Fi.

Gerard

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
The 1991 series is run constantly (a few times a year, at least) on the Chiller channel, 257 on DirecTV. Don't know which version they run; I assume it's the original NBC version.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »
The entire series - all episodes - is also available and free to watch on Hulu.  I'm not sure if it's the "original" or the "messy one."

Found this to answer your question, Gerard:
Dark Shadows The Revival on Hulu

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »
Has anyone seen this reissue in any stores?

I saw it at Wal-Mart a few days ago, but didn't pay much attention since I already have the DVD set and assumed this was just a repackaging. I know it was inexpensive but don't recall the exact price. Wal-Mart has some kind of deals with some DVD producers, as does Target - for example, both stores had their own 2-disc version of the 70th Anniversary edition of "The Wizard of Oz" about a month ago, and I understand they weren't the same and also not the same as what's available through online retailers. So when I saw the 1991 DS set, I wondered if this was a "Wal-Mart" sponsored re-release of the 1991 DS series. I wish I had looked more closely at the packaging, label, etc. I would definitely buy it if I knew for sure that it was the same as the VHS version.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
Even if the product details for the reissue are correct (and by some weird miracle the aspect ratio really is 2.35:1 and not 1.78:1), in all likelihood it wouldn't be the same (meaning added footage) as the VHS version because the running time for both DVD sets is listed as 592 minutes.  [santa_sad]

That being said, though, thanks for the head's up about seeing the reissue at Walmart. Even though I dislike the chain and rarely step foot in one unless I'm with someone who wants to go there, I'm going to be in the neighborhood of one tomorrow afternoon, so I may just drop in to see if they have any copies...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 10:49:01 AM »
I have a huge dislike for Wally World but that is for another conversation right?  They ruin everything out of town and destroy small business!  I NEVER go there unless absolutely necessary!  Plus there are several other issues I have with them.  Like I said though I guess that is for another time! [santa_sad]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 05:18:33 AM »
The weather was so crappy and rainy this afternoon that I didn't even bother going to Walmart while I was out. Maybe another day...
(Right now there's actually about an inch or two of heavy, wet snow on the ground. Though it's been so mild lately that it will probably be very short-lived. Not even around long enough to try to make a snowman.  [_snowman_]  [santa_cry]  But everyone's Christmas lights look beautiful...  [santa_thumb])

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 11:26:12 AM »
Speaking of beautiful the forum is helping me get into the Christmas spirit! I haven't had an easy time getting into it this year.  Thanks MB! :)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 08:31:41 PM »
Even if the product details for the reissue are correct (and by some weird miracle the aspect ratio really is 2.35:1 and not 1.78:1) [...]

Umm, I wouldn't call it a "miracle" to have the aspect ratio be 2.35:1.  If people were screaming about the 1.78:1, then 2.35:1 would be even WORSE!  The aspect ratio for the original broadcast and the VHS tapes was 1.33:1.

However, I have to say that I don't join the multitude of people decrying the 1.78:1 transfer on the DVD, since to my eyes it appears most shots were indeed composed with that aspect ratio intended and are quite pleasing indeed.  But making it even wider would most definitely cut out essential parts of the picture.  What I absolutely DO object to in the DVD transfer is the poor color timing or exposure for the day-for-night scenes, as well as the generally low quality of the image.  It looks fine on a standard definition set, but when shown on a high definition set (at least the 40" SONY that I tried it on) it does not look good...

Speaking of aspect ratio, has anyone downloaded HODS or NODS from iTunes?  Are they actually widescreen?