Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0896  (Read 2717 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0896
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0896
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
i.e. I posted into the wrong episode and removed the post.  In my haste to squeeze into the Modify window, I wasn't worrying much about wording.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:52:05 PM »
If I'm understanding correctly that you rushed to get the edited text submitted (in the removed post), then let me explain that you don't have to once you get the Modify window open within the 2 minute time limit.  Just please don't go to the kitchen to make a sandwich with it like that because we can tell.  [santa_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »
It's really funny watching Grayson do a scene with Donna. 

Even though Donna comes across as jarringly off key, I do get the impression that Grayson thought she was cute and fun.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
Thanks, Midnite, I didn't realize that.  But can you tell what kind of sandwich I'm making?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »
No, but I'm sure MB can.  [santa_smiley]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »
Gosh, how I enjoyed those scenes in the antique shop!

Why did Megan and Philip leave the box and the book lying around the shop?  Both are clearly important.  From the way they talk about the box, you would think that someone like Stokes would be dying to buy it, and of course Carolyn would be happy to sell it and joyfully tell the Todds about it later.  But maybe it's only the Leviathan types who perceive any value in the box.  Maybe Stokes would dismiss it as a cheap bit of junk from Woolworth's.

The writing in the book appeared to be in our own alphabet, which surprised me.  And then David read aloud from it in English.  I suppose it wasn't feasible to have David Henesy recite gibberish, but the English seemed wrong.  On the other hand, I like the idea of the strange language going in David's eyes, translating itself in his head, and coming out of his mouth as English, without his realizing what was happening.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
Megan has graduated to a real turtleneck this time, with sleeves and everything.  Maybe the store's showing a profit.   I enjoy Megan in the t'necks, a lot.   Too bad they're a bit baggy.

Why wouldn't Amanda Harris be looking for her own portrait?   Why do they never acknowledge that her portrait should make her immortal too?

Henesy might be playing David as childish so that we can tell more clearly when he's possessed by adults.   Where is he going, inside the altar?!

On the other hand, I like the idea of the strange language going in David's eyes, translating itself in his head, and coming out of his mouth as English, without his realizing what was happening.

Is there any reason to suppose that that isn't exactly what's happening then?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 06:48:20 AM »
Is there any reason to suppose that that isn't exactly what's happening then?
Other than the fact that it didn't feel to me as though that was what was happening, no.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
Haven't a few characters already commented that the book isn't written in English? I seem to recall that one said it's written in a language that they've never even seen before. That would certainly appear to indicate that the theory that David was able to translate it into English in his head is a correct one.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
The only page of text I saw looked as if it might have been taken from a newspaper.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
David reads from the ancient book:  "And then those who have been hidden so long shall rise and show themselves and the others will know their time is ended and the time of the people of the Leviathan will begin."
And here is a quote from H.P. Lovecraft as it appears in a preface to a couple of his stories in Great Tales of Horror and the Supernatural:  "'All my stories,' he once wrote, 'unconnected as they may be, are based on the fundamental lore or legend that this world was inhabited at one time by another race who, in practicing black magic, lost their foothold and were expelled, yet live on outside, ever ready to take possession of this earth again.'"
It can't be said that Violet Wells didn't do her homework.

Julia's chin is sporting a Band-Aid.

AT LAST the tall foyer lights have modern lightbulbs again.

Carolyn blew her line?--
C:  "Julia, what do you think is the matter with her?"
J:  "With her? With the baby?"
C:  "Both of them, I would say."

Why wasn't Amy affected when she looked at the open book?

Henesy might be playing David as childish so that we can tell more clearly when he's possessed by adults.
I like that.  I was thinking what's the difference in his behaviors?, but yeah, brainwashed David is mean, not bratty.  Thanks!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
Why wasn't Amy affected when she looked at the open book?
Maybe because she wasn't the one who snitched it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:01:05 AM »
YES Violet did her homework and one has to totally respect that.  Especially back in those days when google wasn't at the tip of ones finger! :) GO VIOLET!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 03:34:47 AM »
Well, she's back. With another name. Another occupation. I must say Olivia Corey does sound right for a name of an actress.

David is now under the spell of the Leviathans. He'll be back to being a weird kid. Oh, well, the normal bratty kid routine wasn't bound to last forever. This is DS after all.

Yes, Megan and Philip should have been more careful with the book. Perhaps the Leviathans' perception about who should be raising their 'leader' was very poor in hindsight, because under the circumstances the book was obviously important and not to be allowed to fall in the wrong hands. Then again, I will say that Megan does do a good job naturing the 'baby' so maybe she wasn't such a poor choice for the job after all.