Author Topic: Vicki matures  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Vicki matures
« on: July 27, 2002, 09:43:58 AM »
Well, it was interesting to see Vicki breaking the engagement because she can't marry someone who keeps secrets from her.  It's a shame, because we know the reason and why he can't tell her, but from her point of view it was nice to see her reacting like that.

Back in the days with Burke, she tried to ask him a bit about his background and he kept saying that the past didn't matter, only that they loved each other and the future.  She was quite accepting of this.
Josette

Offline Perankh

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Vicki matures
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 10:37:39 AM »
lol - i know!!  Jeff Clark is such an annoying character to me - i wish they would get it over with! ::)

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 10:51:15 AM »

Back in the days with Burke, she tried to ask him a bit about his background and he kept saying that the past didn't matter, only that they loved each other and the future.  She was quite accepting of this.

That's true, but then again, Burke wasn't constantly breaking dates with her at the last minute or stopping by to pick her up and then running like the devil back out the door again with that same lame excuse of his, "he's tired!"
"Calamity Jane"

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 05:59:02 PM »
I'm happy she broke her engagement with Jeff Clark. He could at least make up some excuse..or he could ask the master of excuses Dr. Hoffman and Barnabas for one. Burke was much better then Vicki, too bad he didn't come back.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2002, 02:30:52 AM »
Vicki had more spunk when she first came on DS, but with Burke, she meekly accepted everything he told her.  In that case, I always felt she was searching for a father figure as well as a husband, which explained her attraction to a man so much older than she was.  

What's really strange is that when I first watched the Peter Bradford-Vicki relationship in 1795/6, I thought him quite a romantic guy, but once he showed up as Jeff Clark--YUCK!  He was obnoxious, silly, exasperating and just plain unappealing.  (Shall I tell you what I REALLY think?)  

Vicki is still a lot less spunky than she used to be (remember when she went up to Burke's apartment because he said he might be able to help her figure out her background--how scandalous!)?  

Sad to say, Miss Moltke no longer wanted to play VW, and who could blame her?  The original focus of the show was Vicki, and once Barnabas came on the scene, she was relegated to a back-burner character who couldn't understand and became a brainless twit.  Perhaps she got pregnant on purpose, knowing it would help her get out of her contract?  I wouldn't have blamed her!

Love, Robin    

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2002, 06:40:48 AM »
The original focus of the show was Vicki, and once Barnabas came on the scene, she was relegated to a back-burner character who couldn't understand and became a brainless twit.

What I find even more interesting is how Vicki's role has gotten smaller still to the point where she's been reduced to Jeff Clark's "sidekick" of sorts.  Over the last couple weeks (ever since she was kidnapped by Adam) her part on the show has consisted almost entirely of adding drama to Jeff's more prominant role.  I guess the writers/producers just thought Roger Davis and Jeff would be more appealling to the audience.

Hey, wait a sec...
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2002, 06:52:37 AM »
What I find even more interesting is how Vicki's role has gotten smaller still to the point where she's been reduced to Jeff Clark's "sidekick" of sorts.  Over the last couple weeks (ever since she was kidnapped by Adam) her part on the show has consisted almost entirely of adding drama to Jeff's more prominant role.  I guess the writers/producers just thought Roger Davis and Jeff would be more appealling to the audience.

Ick.  God, he's so damn annoying.  Has anyone noticed that he's taken to mauling Moltke lately?  He usually starts out with this pawing her hair business and goes on from there.  I am dreading his appearance as Ned where he practically fondles poor Lisa Richards who is playing his sister.  

Did he seriously have that kind of a fan base?  I know some posters here have said that they didn't much notice him when they were watching the show as kids, but he's like seriously scary to watch.  

As for Vicki, I would posit that the downsizing began in 1795.  Once they shifted focus there to Barnabas and Angelique, anything with Vicki seemed very much like an afterthought.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 09:29:13 PM »
I did get to watch some of the recent weeks' shows on tape (now you know I need no excuse at all to watch Tom Jennings do his thang!) and I wouldn't be surprised if the "Adam kidnaps Vicki" storyline was the nail in the proverbial coffin for Ms. Moltke.  I mean, after 3 years on the show, the best they can come up with is a very lame repeat of the Matthew Morgan storyline from 1966?  (and compared to Thayer David's Matthew Morgan, Adam was a non-entity).  I can just imagine her seething inwardly, waiting for that closet door to open, plotting just how she was going to get out of her contract.

Lara Parker mentioned that Moltke wouldn't wear makeup either during her final months on the show--I wonder about this.  I suspect that the makeup artists kept Vicki's look "natural" since she was supposed to be good and virginal, while Lara and the rest of the women had the pancake and eyelashes slathered on with a trowel.

Gothick

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 11:35:42 PM »
?!?  I was thrilled that Vicki ended the engagement to that awful Jeff Clark.  He is so irritating!   Why did they put her with "him" instead of anyone else....?!  Maybe that's why she was anxious to leave?  

How many woman who want to be stuck with that man? :P

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2002, 03:09:32 AM »
Lara Parker mentioned that Moltke wouldn't wear makeup either during her final months on the show--I wonder about this.  I suspect that the makeup artists kept Vicki's look "natural" since she was supposed to be good and virginal, while Lara and the rest of the women had the pancake and eyelashes slathered on with a trowel.

From what Parker said I gathered it was only in the last few episodes she appeared in. In all likelihood Dan Curtis initially refused her request to break her contract; he was probably advised by his lawyers that no jury in the world would rule against a pregnant woman who wanted to quit her job; at the same time Moltke's lawyers probably advised her not to look too good for the camera, so if it went to court they could show the tapes and demonstrate how bad she looked because she was suffering. I don't think the parting of ways was amicable. I'll be looking very carefully at Vicki's makeup during Moltke's last eps. - the last time I saw them I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2002, 10:05:13 PM »
on Jul 29th, 2002, 11:29am, Gothick wrote:
and
From what Parker said I gathered it was only in the last few episodes she appeared in. In all likelihood Dan Curtis initially refused her request to break her contract; he was probably advised by his lawyers that no jury in the world would rule against a pregnant woman who wanted to quit her job; at the same time Moltke's lawyers probably advised her not to look too good for the camera, so if it went to court they could show the tapes and demonstrate how bad she looked because she was suffering. I don't think the parting of ways was amicable. I'll be looking very carefully at Vicki's makeup during Moltke's last eps. - the last time I saw them I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Dr. Eric Lang,

First, please let me apologize for taking so long before commenting, but I wanted to look into what was available concerning Vicki's departure before saying anything.

I realize you were clearly giving your opinion in this message ("I gathered", "I don't think", "in all likelihood", "probably") that Alexander's departure was less than amicable, but I wasn't able to find anything that has been discussed about it publicly that indicates otherwise, and because it's been my experience that fans can hear or (especially) read speculation and guesses and still come away believing it as fact, I wanted to point out that you made every effort to say that you were merely speculating, and to also add that, as far as I know, what's been stated publicly has stressed that her departure was amicable.

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2002, 01:54:16 AM »
I think Vicki is a nasty piece of junk, who looks like Michael Jackson!!!!!!!!!!!

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2002, 02:03:51 AM »
as far as I know, what's been stated publicly has stressed that her departure was amicable.

I guess I assumed otherwise because of Lara Parker saying that towards the end she (Moltke) "really, really did not want to be there." That she refused to wear make-up or comb her hair doesn't seem to suggest that the parting was amicable; those are the kinds of tactics an employee would use if they were trying to get fired. But you are right, this was only my perception and nothing more, based on what some of the actors have said in interviews and at the convention, and nothing more, so maybe I shouldn't have said anything about it at all. I apologize if I crossed a line - didn't mean to do that!