Author Topic: "David as Phoenix" Fan Fiction  (Read 1206 times)

ClaudeNorth

"David as Phoenix" Fan Fiction
« on: November 26, 2009, 01:54:32 AM »
Does anyone out there know of any fan fiction that explores David Collins being half-human and half-Phoenix?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: "David as Phoenix" Fan Fiction
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:59:06 AM »
even after three viewings i'm still confused about david's status as laura's son.

is the woman who gave birth to david the same person who comes back to collinsport to claim him in 1966 or was that the woman who's dead body was found in laura's apartment in pheonix,az.?

it's suggested that they're actually different people.that the laura who lived in collinsport,had a relationship with burke and ended up marrying roger isn't actually the laura who shows up for david during this storyline.dr. guthrie especially feels this way.

i'm also somewhat confused about roger and laura's chronology in collinsport/at collinwood...

when the series begins it's made quite clear that roger and david had only very recently returned to collinwood after living away since david's birth nine years earlier.that at the time of burke's manslaughter trial roger and laura abruptly married and moved away from collinsport.by this logic they had only been back at collinwood about seven/eight months when the storyline began.

during one of laura's periodic inquisitions by the police it's established that she,roger and david had a house in augusta,maine(and a dog named dog!).

however at other times during the storyline(and much more often later in the series)it's implied or outright stated that david had grown up at collinwood and roger had been around forever.

did laura ever live at collinwood before?roger asks her if she had "unpleasant memories" of it and since during this period(and for eightteen years prior)liz never left the place how could she and laura have established such a hostile relationship unless she had been around?

i know one is not supposed to ask such specific questions of this thing but this timeline always baffled me. [hall2_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:22 AM »
I think part of what makes Laura so fascinating is the complete sense of mystery around her. I remember in 1897 there is a seance to contact Jeremiah 's wife Laura who seems to both be the same and not quite the same person as Edward's wife Laura. That would sort of explain how they can have a seasnce to contact Laura from the 18th century and that there was a woman identified as Laura in a Phoenix morgue.
My vague idea of how this works is that Laura lives half aware or possible unaware of her ture nature for periods of time, and then possibly splits herself into two parts, the mortal aspect of her is left dead and her supernatural Phoenix self lives seperate in a compluson to burn herself and her children in a reborth ritual.
Considering that there is a seasnce contacting Laura's previous son also named David who burned to death in 1867, it would seem that Laura's children die, but we know so little about her perhaps there is aduality in her children's life/death, or perhaps some of her children die but it's possible that she's testing them to find the rare child that can be a Phoenix.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 01:35:10 AM »
I was thinking along similar lines -- that Laura sheds her mortal shell and then exists for a short time as a "pure" phoenix (sort of like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly) before her final immolation, which would explain why everyone feels that she's not quite the same person.  They're detecting the loss of her mortal/human component.  Or perhaps the fire in Phoenix was meant to be her final immolation, but she was able to return in supernatural form for a short time to reclaim her son.

(This is one of the reasons I think that DS is such an involving show -- the writers left room for endless speculation!)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:38:32 AM »
I had always thought about writing a story about David  being half phoenix and then of course life got in the way and fanzines disappeared!  It was certainly a major thought in my mind.  I think it would be a fascinating story to explore, either through fiction or if the show had continued!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 05:19:56 AM »
Hi, Claude!  "Reunion" by Dale Clark might have what you're looking for, though David isn't the sole focus of the book.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »
I always wanted to get all those books! Have you read them Middy?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 04:49:39 PM »
I haven't, T.  Love his story telling but his writing style not so much.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:38 AM »
GOTCHA! ;) Thanks!  Happy dance!  My 1500th post!  YAY! [blob7] [banana2]

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 02:17:55 AM »
I have read all of Dale Clark's fan novels and I really enjoyed them. They have a lot of imaginative plots and are good at using all the characters well. Get them if you can find them!