Author Topic: Diana Walker  (Read 4481 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Diana Walker
« on: July 26, 2002, 07:35:44 PM »
What did everyone think of Diana Walker's performance as a temporary stand in for Carolyn during today's 10:00 AM Sci Fi episode?

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
Re: Diana Walker
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 07:49:09 PM »
What did everyone think of Diana Walker's performance as a temporary stand in for Carolyn during today's 10:00 AM Sci Fi episode?

As a stand in "Miss Walker" did her best, although I felt Carolyn's absence all the more,  no one is quite able to replace "Nancy"

I also heard Roger (Louis) refer to her as Caroline I suppose he also noticed the difference.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Donna

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 09:35:07 PM »
IMHO I don't think Diane Walker replaced Carolyn.  I noticed the difference in actresses the moment I set eyes on Ms. Walker.  I Missed Carolyn today.  

Especially the scene between Carolyn, Tony, Roger and  Adam.  Just wasn't the same.  Didnt have the same spark as with Nancy Barrett/Carolyn.

I noticed Roger at the beginning too saying Caroline instead of Carolyn.   ?!?  
"The hardest act to follow is yourself."  Sir Paul McCartney  :-*

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 09:57:59 PM »
I agree, Nancy Barrett is irreplaceable as Carolyn. Miss Walker did a good job in a temporary role, but I can't see anyone other then Nancy as 'Carolyn Stoddard'. It was weird to see her in so many key scenes, I had expected her to only be in a few unimportant ones. I also noticed Louis Edmonds/Roger calling Diana Walker/Carolyn 'Caroline'.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 10:16:27 PM »
this carolyn was way to nice to harry johnson, even agreed to 100 bucks for keeping an eye on adam, the original may have given him 5 and a boot in the rump to get him up the stairs.
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 10:24:18 PM »
Im glad that she only replaced her for today's episode, as I could never get use to her playing Carolyn.   Carolyn may have the loudest scream,  [scrm] but she defenetely doesen't have a rough, deep sounding voice like D.W does!  
Remember the dream that Naomi Collins had (during 1795) of Jeremiah kissing a "mysterious woman" in the drawing room of the old house? (It was suppose to be Josette) Well, I swear that it was Miss Walkers voice they used as we all know it defenetely wasn't Josette's voice that we heard.  I remember thinking that voice sounds like an old woman! I thought the same thing when I heard D.W.'s voice as well. [bawl]

Why is it that everytime they have a replacement on the show, the actress/actor has no resemblence to the original actor at all?  Im sure that they had alot of petite actresses with long straight blonde hair that they could have used. [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 10:42:42 PM »
Ms. Walker was a competent actress, but it just was so terribly distracting; the suspension of disbelief needed at times to enjoy drama--especially in the case of Dark Shadows--was hard to get around without Nancy Barrett's face in her bright, shiny place.

This is the only episode Ms. Barrett missed, right?

Right?!  :'(
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Nicole

• Junior Poster
  • ...But I look so innocent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2002, 10:58:59 PM »
Diana Walker did as well as could be expected.  She wasn't glaringly bad although it wasn't the same watching her and having to associate her with Carolyn.

Which leads to this...

Cassandra said
Why is it that everytime they have a replacement on the show, the actress/actor has no resemblence to the original actor at all?  Im sure that they had alot of petite actresses with long straight blonde hair that they could have used.  

Why is that?  After watching one actor play a character for period of time, the audience becomes used to seeing that character look, act, etc a certain way.  Maybe certain replacements didn't go over so well with the audience because they were absolutely nothing like the actor before them.

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2002, 11:00:03 PM »
This is the only episode Ms. Barrett missed, right?

Right?!  :'(

Yes that is the only episode Nancy Barrett missed during the run of the show.

~Victoria Winters Rox, Who has learned never to mess with his email address  ;)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2002, 11:55:03 PM »

Remember the dream that Naomi Collins had (during 1795) of Jeremiah kissing a "mysterious woman" in the drawing room of the old house? (It was suppose to be Josette) Well, I swear that it was Miss Walkers voice they used as we all know it defenetely wasn't Josette's voice that we heard.  I remember thinking that voice sounds like an old woman! I thought the same thing when I heard D.W.'s voice as well. [bawl]

In the 1795 scene you are referring to it was Dorie Cavanaugh playing Josette in the dream, who had earlier appeared as Phyllis Wick at the seance. I don't know why she was used instead of KLS - she might not have been available that day, or else maybe DC didn't want to pay her for a whole episode when she was only featured in that one dream sequence so he hired the day player again. Cavanaugh evidently wasn't around anymore by the time the 1795 segment was over, since yet another day player was hired to play Phyllis Wick at the end.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2002, 01:48:53 AM »
She did 'OK' but I am glad it was only one show - she didn't have the bite NB has ~ no way the real Carolyn woulda coughed up $100 for Harry that quick [that woulda been like 2  or 3 months worth of 'entertainment' for Buzz about that time!] - and her speech pattern reminded me of the irritating news girl on SNL. She didn't have Nancy's legs, either! ;)
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2002, 01:58:29 AM »
Diana Walker did as well as could be expected.

I think so too. She also looked good with Craig Slocum, she should've been Harry Johnson's girlfriend, she was a lot nicer!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2002, 03:19:34 AM »
?!?  Ms. Walker tried to be "Carolyn" but she didn't succeed.  Yes,  Ms. Barrett would've argued more with Harry over his asking price for babysitting Adam.  Probably, would've given him "one of those looks" instead of agreeing so quickly.  

At least, it was for only one episode.  Nobody plays Carolyn Stoddard like Nancy Barrett. ;D

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2002, 04:27:04 AM »
I assume they had a stand-in for all the actors in the series.   But don't know for sure.

Offline Professor1985

• Full Poster
  • The Professor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2002, 05:40:40 AM »
Diana Walker filled in for Nancy Barrett as a temopraelly replacement on episode #578 that aired on 9/11/1968 on ABC-TV at 4:00pmEDT/3:00pmCDT and also Diana Walker also appeared in "As The World Turns".

The subsitute was good and I like Nancy Barrett as the better Carolyn Stoddard. My suggestion is to watch "The Brady Bunch Hour" and it has a different actress playing Jan Brady.

Best Wishes.
Spencer H. Karter