Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0889  (Read 2251 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0889
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:26 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0889
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »
I'm confused.  As far as I could tell, when Barnabas appeared between the halves of the stone monument, he was carrying a book, not a box.  But he told Julia that he had brought the box from the past.

I was surprised when the heartbeat started coming from Barnabas's portrait.  Apparently it's beyond Barnabas's control, because he certainly had no desire to see Julia.  Why did it beat for Willie back when Willie was just looking for some jewels to steal?  And who painted that portrait?

Golly how Stokes and Carolyn were pushing Sabrina to come up with answers now.  It seems like a good way to aggravate an existing problem.  But Sabrina did manage to say something meaningful to Carolyn, and what I found interesting was that she apparently held no malice towards Carolyn, who had replaced her in Chris's affections.

I was thinking, when Barnabas was first unresponsive to Julia's warm greeting, that it could easily be imagined to be because he had apparently lost his latest version of Josette - and, of course, Julia knew that he had hooked up with Kitty at some point because of the conversation she overheard between Magda and Charity/Pansy.  But then when Barnabas didn't blather on self-pityingly about losing Josette, it became obvious that the problem was something else.

If I came across a box that emitted heavy breathing sounds, I wouldn't be so eager to open it as Julia was.  But Julia has always been a daredevil.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
Hi Eliot!

Is Ned walled up someplace?

I didn't know Sabrina had amnesia; I just thought she couldn't talk.   TES asks Sabrina about everything including who Ned is, but not where Ned is.

I imagined Julia, concerned that the box is having breathing problems, taking it to Wyndcliffe and putting it in an oxygen tent.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:43 AM »
The captures for this ep have finally been added to Robservations. The easiest way to access them is by clicking the link in the first post.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »
The Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) topics for this ep have been posted. They're backdated to the 21st and are currently on Page 1 of the CTP/FITBs-Y4 board beginning with this topic:
Episode #0889
- but they'll move on once more topics are posted...

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:28:29 AM »
I didn't know Sabrina had amnesia; I just thought she couldn't talk.

I don't think that's why Prof. Stokes was prompting all those questions; I'd always believed that he was trying to make Sabrina talk as much as possible so that she'd be able to speak less hesitantly.

On the subject of Ned,
[spoiler]I'm surprised his character wasn't reprised when RD returned, but I'm so much more delighted that the writers decided to bring CDT back instead.[/spoiler]
Even the writers must have known that RD plus helpless girl equals harrassment lawsuit.
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »
It's interesting that Sabrina has been plunked down in a nursing home after two years of being carted all over the place in the search for Chris Jennings.  Maybe when Ned discovered that Sabrina wasn't fully eager to have Chris tarred, feathered, hanged, drawn, and quartered, he decided he couldn't stand to live with her.  Or maybe Dr. Reeves, in the style of Julia Hoffman, told Ned that Sabrina's recovery would go more quickly if Ned were not around to hinder it.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 01:35:06 AM »
Just as soon as the story returned to 1969, the appropriate portraits were returned to the fireplaces in both mansions.  But that was a couple of eps ago, and in this one we still see the 1897 bulbs in the Collinwood foyer.

Stokes to Julia, about Ned:  "He seemed a rather surly fellow."
Ya think??!!

When Chris mentioned that Sabrina was "still in Collinwood," I'm guessing the actor misspoke, but when he said, "She's still the only person who ever witnessed the transformation," the writers obviously forgot about Joe.  And that's if you only consider the short list of survivors.

Now that we're seeing Lisa Richards' real hair (with a temp color), one could say it's grey, or silver, or even blue, but it's definitely not white.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but they should have kept the white wig.

Julia to Barnabas:  "Today, I was given reason to believe that Charles Delaware Tate may still be alive."
Huh??!??

Uh oh, there's a phone in the foyer again.  We know what that means!

I'm confused.  As far as I could tell, when Barnabas appeared between the halves of the stone monument, he was carrying a book, not a box.  But he told Julia that he had brought the box from the past.
As I watched, I was thinking that the box appeared around the book to keep it safe and hidden.  Yes, I know that makes no logical sense.

I was surprised when the heartbeat started coming from Barnabas's portrait.  Apparently it's beyond Barnabas's control, because he certainly had no desire to see Julia.
Now that one I chalk up to the writers needing an excuse to get Julia to the Old House at night.

I didn't know Sabrina had amnesia; I just thought she couldn't talk.
I don't think that's why Prof. Stokes was prompting all those questions; I'd always believed that he was trying to make Sabrina talk as much as possible so that she'd be able to speak less hesitantly.
I think it's more likely a repressed memory, which [debatably] can occur after an emotional or psychological trauma, rather than amnesia.  Though Sabrina's treatment probably should have been handled by a psychotherapist, Stokes seemed to be using talk therapy to help her.  In Freudian psychoanalysis, the focus is on bringing repressed memories to the conscious mind, blah blah.  [hall2_wink]

JF does contempt and sarcasm so well.  Makes me wish I'd seen him as Richard III in his prime.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:04:57 AM »
VO: NB

Love the opening sequence with the altar having fire around it!  "The water shall nourish each grain of sand wedged between sacred stones and guide us to the threshold of a time to be.  And restore our flesh and bones!"  So haunting!  

Thank you Lydia for pointing that out about B carrying the book instead of the box!  I had never noticed that!

:SIGH:  It would be such a joy to see a soap like this on television today that really goes out into the ether. They tried to make Port Charles creepy but didn't work when the parent show is based in the real world!
I like the soap format so I am sure I would totally enjoy it!  I know DS was lightning in a bottle though.  :SIGH:

GOOD to see Stokes again!  Grayson looks truly lovely today!  

It seems (to me) very strange that the heartbeat beckons Julia.  I too think it's nothing but a plot device!  Why couldn't she just say I need to go check and see if Barnabas is back?!  Or as Lydia said B has no control over the "heartbeat!"

Donald Briscoe looks cute as button! :)  I am sure if he was on TV today he would be a hearthrob as well.  With the tousled hair, sideburns, sexy eyes! YUMMERS!

Love Carolyn's ensemble.  The necklace is fabulosity!  

Aww..Julia is happy to see her "dear friend!" One truly sees her love for Barnabas as she clings to him!  B is as cold as a cucumber!  However, I love seeing evil Barney unlike many 1969 viewers.  I don't necessarily know what DS fans think
about him now besides you guys!  Do any of you view him  differently than when you were watching in the original run??

I wonder if B realizes he is giving himself away or is too brainswashed to care??  "Petofi may have been killed in fire!"  This is one villain I would have loved have seen brought back to DS.  Someone on the facebook DS page said he couldn't have come to the future but they could have found a way! Hell he was what 150 years old...he could have lived another 150 years!  

I really want DB's coat.  It would still look lovely in this day and time.  Love the color!

The lighting, the look, the production values are wonderful!

"Breathing!"  LOL Someting about the way GH says that makes me giggle!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:01:12 PM »
I think the deal was that if Petofi reunited with the Hand, he'd become immortal.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 04:53:01 AM »
Loved Stokes' remark about Ned. Ned may be gone from the screen (thank goodness!) but his reputation lingers on.

Barnabas was sure cold today to Julia and Chris. They were both thrown off by his cool behavior but I think Julia even at this point, knowing as little as she does, knows or at least suspects something must have happened to Barnabas in the past to drastically change his behavior.

Did Sabrina intend to tell Carolyn that Chris was a werewolf? If she did, did she think Carolyn would believe her, especially in her present state? I guess Sabrina just wants to spare Carolyn her dreadful fate or dying at the hands of the werewolf.