Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0888  (Read 2813 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0888
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0888
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:48 AM »
Julia would never make it as a cop.  I couldn't believe the way she turned her back on the mysterious stranger when Carolyn came along.  I wish it had all been a little less obvious, but I guess that's one of the problems with having a tight production schedule.

It's hard to believe that the antique shop has only just opened; it looks as though it's been gathering stuff for years.  Oh, well, I suppose Philip Todd may have had this in mind for some time now. I was looking at things trying to recognize them.  I know the member of Barnabas's regiment shows up at some point, but I didn't see it today.  The black statue looked familiar - have we seen it in the foyer or something?

Charles Delaware Tate is now an obscure turn-of-the-century artist, and nobody even knows if he's dead or alive.  My, how the mighty have fallen!  But maybe he doesn't care.  From the way Petofi talked, a very important side benefit of the talent given to Tate was the women whom it caused to be attracted to him.  (We'll conveniently ignore the fact that not one women in 1897 Collinsport seemed interested in him.)  Probably Tate didn't get the eternal youth that Quentin did, so by this time he may be less interested in women, if he's still alive.  And good heavens, why does anybody seriously think he may still be alive?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
Well, viewers and Julia think he might still be alive, because anyone who can give people immortality by painting them is eventually going to get the bright idea of doing so with himself.   The again, we don't know if Tate's power outlasted that fire in 1897.   If Petofi's alive, maybe.   I don't think anyone in Collinsport besides Julia is pushing the idea that Tate might still be alive, but I haven't re-watching this one yet.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:07:08 PM »
Dennis Patrick walks off behind Julia's back, then Julia is mystified that he's gone, as if he disappeared in a puff of smoke.    It's like the reactions on Bewitched when E Montgomery poofs away the second someone's back is turned.   She should have just said, "Oh crap, he got away!"

It looks as if Julia's setting Barnabas's chair on fire for a moment, but there's a candle hiding behind it.

I wish Julia were more worldly and unflappable like Natalie or Magda.   This is very awkward dialogue.   Julia's doing something very dull, though, just waiting around endlessly.  It's hard to write good lines for that.  It could at least make sense though.  These are the same writers as in 1897, right, so why do some scenes sound like they came from a failed high school creative writing student?

Does Carolyn know about the I Ching?   Alright... the story was that Barnabas had disappeared while they were sleeping.   Poofed, or just wandered off?   If the former, why is CS shocked at the additional bit of news that it happened before Julia's eyes?   If not, did they report Barnabas as a missing person?

Julia's only additional fact #2 for Carolyn is that he can only reappear in the same spot.   Carolyn had better know about the I Ching, or this is all gibberish for her.

CS: "You're assuming that when Barnabas... reappears..."  She can't say it with a straight face!    She says Chris called... I pictured him as the werewolf in the mausoleum, grunting and howling to her over a cell phone.

Philip Todd's sweater has a belt.   Oh yes... I remember that.   There were sweater-vests with belts, too.   We were supposed to wear those for a few years.   I didn't.  I was a stubborn cuss, even as a kid.

Carloyn is flummoxed by the idea that Julia likes art.

End:  D Patrick walks by the cairn, and it opens.   First I pictured him having beeped at it with one of those remotes that lock or unlock your car, or whatever they do, I never had that....  then I pictured the cairn sliding open in time for someone to shoot a miniature-golf ball into it.   Tougher than the windmill, you never know when it'll open.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »
A major spoiler in today's closing credits, prematurely revealing an identity that is supposed to be a secret.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:01:29 PM »
I hate when they do that.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
My favorite moments in this one are:

(1) Julia waking up after spending the night in a chair at the Old House.  (And why the hell was she in a chair?  Are we supposed to believe that after all this time, they had only renovated the one bedroom--Josette's?  It's frustrating, to me, that after Barnabas returned to mortal state again, we never got to see  his bedroom.  I would have loved to have seen what they would have done with that.) You really need to go back and watch how Grayson plays this little moment.  It's priceless--the craning of the neck, swanlike stretching of facial muscles, and arabesque of the lips is really beyond describing.  I LOVE GRAYSON HALL!!!!

(2)  Julia and Carolyn at the Antique Shoppe.  "Are you ready, Carolyn?"  "Yes--for anything!" 

(3)  Carolyn's encounter at the Altar of the Great Old Ones with the Mysterious Stranger.  I love how deftly Dennis Patrick defines this new character, and of course, Barrett is spot-on as always.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »
The captures for this ep have finally been added to Robservations. The easiest way to access them is by clicking the link in the first post.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »
(1) Julia waking up after spending the night in a chair at the Old House.  (And why the hell was she in a chair?  Are we supposed to believe that after all this time, they had only renovated the one bedroom--Josette's?  It's frustrating, to me, that after Barnabas returned to mortal state again, we never got to see  his bedroom.  I would have loved to have seen what they would have done with that.)
I imagine that Julia wanted to be close to the basement door in case Barnabas hollered to be let out.

As for the number of renovated bedrooms...When Elizabeth showed up at the Old House in 1968, having escaped from Windcliff, she was assigned to the front bedroom, if I remember correctly, while Julia, who was also not herself, rated Josette's room.  So I hope the front bedroom had been renovated, though in the state that Elizabeth was in, she might not have noticed, and anyway, she spent all her time in Josette's room telling Julia that Julia was going to die.

I hope that Barnabas had a bedroom in the 1960s, though I wouldn't count on it.  Why sleep when you could be standing at the window brooding about Josette?  If he did have a bedroom, I would love to have seen it, but I doubt that the Dark Shadows crew would have made it as interesting as it could have been.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
My favorite moments in this one are:

(1) Julia waking up after spending the night in a chair at the Old House.   You really need to go back and watch how Grayson plays this little moment.  It's priceless--the craning of the neck, swanlike stretching of facial muscles, and arabesque of the lips is really beyond describing.  I LOVE GRAYSON HALL!!!!

And I thought I was the only who watched every move she makes during this scene! I love it and I am just like you! I LOVE GRAYSON HALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She is diva EXTRAORDINARE! [hall2_grin]

More later...finally an ep I can watch!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
After the family had moved into the Old House after having been driven out of Collinwood by Quentin's ghost, we saw (in Ep #695) the room that David was sleeping in:

(I don't even want to speculate about what that is on the table.  [undg])

So, we definitely know that at least one bedroom other than Josette's had been restored at some point. Though, with the whole family staying at the Old House, I would presume we can believe other bedrooms were also restored. However, the idea that the others slept on cots in dilapidated rooms is quite funny to picture.  [lghy]  I can just imagine what Roger would have had to say about that!  [wink2]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
The Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) topics for this ep have been posted. They're backdated to the 20th and are currently on Page 2 of the CTP/FITBs-Y4 board beginning with this topic:
Episode #0888
- but they'll move on once more topics are posted...

While I was picking out captures, I also came across these two:

(The expressions are priceless.  [laughing11])

(Carolyn is rarely ever this jovial. But that will change before too long...)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
After the family had moved into the Old House after having been driven out of Collinwood by Quentin's ghost, we saw (in Ep #695) the room that David was sleeping in:
I had forgotten about David's bedroom at the Old House.  It doesn't have the usual look of rooms at the Old House: the walls are dark and paneled, which makes it look more like a Collinwood room.

However, the idea that the others slept on cots in dilapidated rooms is quite funny to picture.  [lghy]  I can just imagine what Roger would have had to say about that!
I always like to imagine Roger's sighs of relief during that time as he arrived at the cannery every morning for work - civilization! - and made a dash for the men's room.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 03:54:08 AM »
Love those caputures MB! Thank thank you thank you! :) [hall2_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:00:49 AM »
Not a double post since this is my review and another day!  Hope you enjoy!

VO: NB

I totally agree with Gothic, there is something eerie, weird and progressive about these episodes!  I can only imagine what it was like to watch this live in 1969! Wish I could go back to that day and watch it and warn the writers to get it together! Where are those darn I Ching Wands when one needs them?  Julia is giving the stranger hell! Grayson sounds like she smoked extra hard that day, she is extremely hoarse!     Love the lighting!  It is truly amazing how different 1969 Carolyn looks compared to her 1966 counterpart!  NB has the most bright, vibrant and beautiful blue eyes.  Love ‘em!  Grayson’s green dress is very becoming of her and I love that it‘s a miniskirt. We redheads look fabulous in green!  I HAVE always thought that Gray had fabulous legs and according to Katie Lee Star Grayson thought that was one of her good features since she used leg makeup!

I think this storyline is a great idea--I wish with all my heart that have been executed properly! I think it would have been my favorite if it had been!

I like that Vincent has toned down Grayson’s eyelashes.  They had here in some huge one’s for a while and now it looks as if they he has cut the end of them off and glued them on.  Trust. Take it from a former Female Impersonator I know all the tricks of the trade!

I have an oil lamp just like the Todd’s. It was my great grandmothers!  I love it!

YAY! Marie Wallace.  I wrote her on Facebook and request her friendship.  She sent the sweetest note back and it didn’t seem generic at all.  I think she truly took the time to write me personally. It has made my week!  BAM BAM BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!  Close up on Grayson!  I love the shot through the Todd’s Antique shop!  However, it lends itself to a blooper where the camera comes into view!  I love the Leviathans alter!  It’s beyond creepy!  Also love the way that Vincent has painted Nancy’s eyes!  The black eyeliner and black liquid on top of her eye!  Very 60’s!  Poor Megan!  Love the last sequence with the drums “Bong” and the separating of the altar!  Can’t wait to see what happens next…..