Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0886  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0886
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »
MB, that capture from that Frid/Hall scene is the stuff of Grand Opera!  Excellent work!

Nancy, if I'm not mistaken, the source of the story about "they cast the wrong guy" came from the original edition of KLS's Scrapbook Memories.    And we know how reliable (not) KLS's memory of things tends to be.  I wonder whether there are any references to this story in any of the DS interviews from the original broadcast period or immediately thereafter?

Some of the most frank and revealing comments about the inner workings of the series were in interviews with Joel Crothers and Nancy Barrett after the show had ended, if I recall correctly.

G.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 06:35:06 PM »
In one of the collectors edition DVD's, there is an interview with writer Malcolm Mamorstein.  He says that after the kidnapping of Maggie was resolved,  DC told him to kill off Barnabas, but MM stated that he was too interesting a character to do that, so he convinced him to take the show in two directions at the same time- the first to slowly move the story to eventually result in Barnabas demise (which is evident with Burke slowly getting on the case) and the second with the Seaview house Vicky & Burke wanted to move into.  MM said he and the writers slowly worked the storylines as to see which direction would work. 

When it became apparent that Barnabas should not be killed off, they changed the end of that story (I think MM was gone by then) and ended the Seaview story before it got off the ground.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 08:10:45 AM »
The Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) topics for this ep have been posted (including some of the infamous Barn/Nat scene). They're backdated to the 18th and are currently on Page 2 of the CTP/FITBs-Y4 board beginning with this topic:
Episode #0886
- but they'll move on once I post more of the delayed topics...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 12:33:06 AM »
At age 14, I was rooting for Barnabas and Josette to marry in 1897 (not 1896; silly Barnabas!), but deep down, I must've known it would mean the end of the show.  That was some seriously fast-acting poison, btw.  Josette had barely swallowed and was already on the floor.  [hall2_rolleyes]

Poor, poor Natalie, forced to betray the niece whom she loves so dearly.
Did Grayson, as Natalie, summon real tears?  She made me believe she was really crying.

I LOVE this intro to the new storyline, even knowing that it's the one that caused me to give up watching DS altogether.  I love the costumes, the makeup, the props, the ritual... It looks like a good deal of planning went into it.  The pins that the beings wear are very cool-- 3 s's that meet in the center, overlapping to resemble a 3-headed snake inside a circle.  It ties to the "S" that Haza traced in the air with her hand.  Very, very cool.

Petofi box in Millicent's room?
Yep, it sure was.  Her entire room was recycled.  Natalie's gown, too.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 05:47:57 AM »
It honestly is really really sad at what promise this storyline had! As it has already been pointed out that it was atmospheric, weird, far out, kooky, off the chain, I could go on with countless ways to explain this period.  I love it! I have a great love for this storyline and it's beyond sad that it wasn't executed well because if it had been I can truly see it being my favorite storyline ever on Dark Shadows hands down!  [hall2_cry]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
Have to admit, even though I wasn't crazy about this latest rehash of 1797, it was neat to watch Barnabas sink his fangs into Natalie.

Another plot goof: Millicent is AWARE of Barnabas' 'death'. When 1795 originally played out she was kept out of the loop, led to believe that he had gone to England as Joshua had told every one else. Plus she was too preoccupied with Nathan Forbes' betrayal around this time too. Ah, well. Story goofs are the norm on DS.